New 4k TV, black friday deal

mjgclutch

Standard Member
Hi

I'm looking into getting a new TV, 65 inch. I really don't want to spend more than 1K. I was looking at the JG nano cell TVs. I know the advice is to wait for the OLED to come down in value, but I'm a bit impatient! Obviously there are always going to be better TVs out there. Is the OLED jump in quality worth waiting for in this case (I will wait if that is the case!)

Looking at this on Curry's

Thoughts? There are various of these SM model TVs. Are the newer ones worth it, or is better to get one of the older nano cell TVs?

Not set on LV, but they seem to be the best for this price range in the sale?

Dodgexander

If you can, I'd start by looking at the guide here: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

There's a few steps in the opening post to follow before comparing different TVs. The LG SMxxxx can be good or bad choices depending on what you are looking for from a TV. Compared to an OLED they do not really have any benefits at all apart from less risk of screen burn.

You'll see in the guide depending on which size and range of TVs you look for, that LGs SM series are sometimes recommended, but usually for most people there are better options elsewhere...especially if you don't need wide viewing angles.

mjgclutch

Standard Member
Wow, that's an impressively comprehensive guide. Sorry I didn't notice before. I will sort and get back to you. Thanks

mjgclutch

Standard Member
Ok, looked at the guide. Really interesting read. Didn't know that SD is worse on UHD TVs!

Anyway, my answers to your questions. Hope it helps.

TV info

Sources –
Currently – Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sky HD, PS4.
Future plans to get UHD Netflix and Sky/BT Sport UHD
Will buy next generation console when it becomes available.
PS4 has HDR I believe?

Use

10% SD, 90% HD at the moment. Only use SD when I have to
33% sport 33% movies and TV 33% gaming, so looking for an all rounder.

My viewing distance is about 1m, but when I buy new speakers and receiver , I will have to rearrange, meaning viewing distance will be 1.5m. I notice that the recommendation for 2m is 43 inches, but I guess these estimates are conservative. Should be as close to cinema viewing as possible for me, as long as it is comfortable.

I view sport during the day, and mainly movies at night. I always close blinds when watching TV, lights off at night when watching film or TV, generally on when watching sport.

Current TV is Panasonic tc-p50gt50. Bought around 7 years ago when it was top of the range.

Reason for buying new TV is, better picture, option to use UHD, larger size, as I find the 50 a bit too small. Think 65 will be fine. Just me in the house, so no need to view side on.

Re PQ attributes, I honestly don’t know, other than I like the idea that the picture is fine without manual adjustments though I accept I may have to do some fine tuning.

Same for bugs. I like my TV, so wouldn’t know what, if any bugs it has. I’d imagine motion blur would annoy me when watching sport, but maybe my current TV does that, and I haven’t noticed.
Importance

Price, around 1K, I can be slightly flexible, but would rather not spend more. No interest in sound, as I use speakers. Viewing angles also not important, as it is just me using it. I’m happy to wait post-Christmas if OLED TVs are available for that kind of price.

mjcairney

As I look at this screen, it may have changed by the time you read this, Richer Sounds are advertising the LG OLED55B9PLA for £1099, inclusive of their 6-year guarantee. How long that offer will be available I have no idea.

Dodgexander

Ok, looked at the guide. Really interesting read. Didn't know that SD is worse on UHD TVs!

Anyway, my answers to your questions. Hope it helps.

TV info

Sources –
Currently – Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sky HD, PS4.
Future plans to get UHD Netflix and Sky/BT Sport UHD
Will buy next generation console when it becomes available.
PS4 has HDR I believe?

Use

10% SD, 90% HD at the moment. Only use SD when I have to
33% sport 33% movies and TV 33% gaming, so looking for an all rounder.

My viewing distance is about 1m, but when I buy new speakers and receiver , I will have to rearrange, meaning viewing distance will be 1.5m. I notice that the recommendation for 2m is 43 inches, but I guess these estimates are conservative. Should be as close to cinema viewing as possible for me, as long as it is comfortable.

I view sport during the day, and mainly movies at night. I always close blinds when watching TV, lights off at night when watching film or TV, generally on when watching sport.

Current TV is Panasonic tc-p50gt50. Bought around 7 years ago when it was top of the range.

Reason for buying new TV is, better picture, option to use UHD, larger size, as I find the 50 a bit too small. Think 65 will be fine. Just me in the house, so no need to view side on.

Re PQ attributes, I honestly don’t know, other than I like the idea that the picture is fine without manual adjustments though I accept I may have to do some fine tuning.

Same for bugs. I like my TV, so wouldn’t know what, if any bugs it has. I’d imagine motion blur would annoy me when watching sport, but maybe my current TV does that, and I haven’t noticed.
Importance

Price, around 1K, I can be slightly flexible, but would rather not spend more. No interest in sound, as I use speakers. Viewing angles also not important, as it is just me using it. I’m happy to wait post-Christmas if OLED TVs are available for that kind of price.
The main decision to make should be based on HDR. You can afford 65" TVs in the mid range, but a budget of £1000 does not reach models that really have hardware inside capable of displaying HDR to a high standard.

If you can raise the budget and look at the Samsung 65Q70R it would be your best bet at finding a capable TV with HDR for as little money as possible. Its also a good TV to use for gaming as it comes with Variable Refresh Rate support and Samsung models such as this allow motion settings to be used in game mode.

If you went down to a 55" that opens up OLEDs close to your budget, which will be a massive improvement overall in picture quality. But its up to you to weigh up how important screen size versus quality is.

clydebest

Distinguished Member
As other have stated a 55inch Oled rather than LCD TV which is what the LG IS if you are going down the LCD route you are looking at q85r or q90r and they will cost more but maybe on a near level with the PQ the B9 will give.. a sub £1000 65 INCH OLED is some way off i am afraid unless the Hisense one is in that price range which i doubt.

mjgclutch

Standard Member
Hi. Been pondering for a while. Definitely going for 65, so I think I need to wait for them to come down in price. So the question is, how long do you think it will be before OLED TVs are around 1K? I realise that you may not be able to answer that one accurately!

Thanks

mjgclutch

Standard Member
Thanks! That's good news and bad news then. I assumed that older OLED models would drop down to much cheaper, or is it just a case that when they get to 1500 ish they disappear of the shelves!

So, the question is, ignoring budget, other than as cheap as possible, what OLED TV can I get? Am I best waiting for new model releases in March, in the hope that something drops down in price a bit.

Maybe the LG below will come down to 1500 ish? Sounds like this is the cheapest option at the moment of the ones you recommend?
LG OLED65B9
65" 4K UHD OLED TV

Though the
LG OLED65B8S is 1500 now on richer sounds

thanks

Dodgexander

Thanks! That's good news and bad news then. I assumed that older OLED models would drop down to much cheaper, or is it just a case that when they get to 1500 ish they disappear of the shelves!

So, the question is, ignoring budget, other than as cheap as possible, what OLED TV can I get? Am I best waiting for new model releases in March, in the hope that something drops down in price a bit.

Maybe the LG below will come down to 1500 ish? Sounds like this is the cheapest option at the moment of the ones you recommend?
LG OLED65B9
65" 4K UHD OLED TV

Though the
LG OLED65B8S is 1500 now on richer sounds

thanks
The recommendations for you won't be any different to the OLEDs in best buy guide. The B9 is listed there.

The B8 is a 2018 model and over a year old now, so that's why its cheaper. Its what you can expect to see the B9 priced when it reaches its best discount.

OLED Price Changes is the place to look for the current best deals on OLEDs.

mjgclutch

Standard Member
Thanks - presumably the B8 will disappear when the new model comes in? Do we know when the B9 will start being discounted? Do we know when the B10? model will be released. The question is can I be bothered waiting to save a few hundred quid.

Dodgexander

Thanks - presumably the B8 will disappear when the new model comes in? Do we know when the B9 will start being discounted? Do we know when the B10? model will be released. The question is can I be bothered waiting to save a few hundred quid.
I don't think the B8 will go down in price any more now, I'm quite sure 1500 is the point where they break even on the TVs, the shops will already be very keen to get rid of 2018 stock,.

TVs are typically released between spring and summer.

Trending threads

Top Bottom