New 4k TV and AV Reciever

2funky

Standard Member
Hi All,

Long time since I've had some time to come back to this forum.

Now my TV placement is not great and surround sound setup is not ideal due to the placement of my TV and speaker. See my old thread here …

Am I wasting my time and money

So where I need help...

I put the above thread up a year ago and didn't move forward with a new TV or AV receiver. Having now gone over a year with my setup as-is, it's definitely time for an upgrade.

So going through so many threads and trying to figure out what my best options are, I am still no closer on deciding what TV and AV amp to upgrade to !! So again I ask for your help, on what you think I should be looking to do.

Current Set-up:-
TV: Panasonic TH-50PZ70B (looking to upgrade)
Amp : Yamaha RX V100D (looking to upgrade)
PS3 (mostly used for Sky Go to watch sports - brothers extra sky go account! Odd game. Not really looking to upgrade this)
Sky: Standard TV (SD mostly, some HD content. I may think to upgrade to Sky Q at some point)
Amazon FireTV (Netlix HD, Streaming pics, videos, music from my NAS and use of Kodi)
Speakers: 5.1 Keff KHT1005

As per my previous thread, I will be looking to move my TV centrally on the wall with my main couch directly opposite (so it's more square). Viewing distance will be about 9ft from the TV. I have another couch in my room which will have about a 35deg viewing angle. Most of the time no-one will be on the couch, but on occasion there will be people around.

The first issue I have on my current setup is that I have a HDMI switch, so when I want to switch between the SKY TV, FireTV, PS3 - it's annoying to have to get-up and use the switch to change. This is one of the big reasons I want to upgrade my AV receiver, so I can feed my sources through the amp. Secondly - I was hoping to get a little better picture if I was to go for a AV receiver which upscaled ?? (or am I missing something?).

I think I should be going for a 55" TV (keep thinking 65" would be too big and may overpower the room and I may also keep noticing any imperfections in picture quality!?).

LED v OLED... Now if money was no object, then I would definitely for an OLED. However given that I'd like to upgrade the TV and the AV amp, I don't want to over-spend (given how much time I actually get to watch TV !!! - but would like something I will be happy with when I do watch it). An OLED looking around would set me back at least £1300, then another £350(ish) for a new AV amp would take me to nearly £2k. BUT if I stick with a good 55" LED for approx. £750 and an a new AV receiver - then it's just over a 1k. So at the moment, I am leaning very heavily towards an LCD v the OLED option (might even get some better looking black 5.1 speakers ;-)..

So really after a little guidance on options for a TV and AV amp. Went into RS today and they were really pushing on the OLED option, but I'm not sure I can justify the additional spend at the moment. Given its BF - I'd like to get these purchased, so any help would be again much appreciated.

Also one last question, do any retailers offer anything in way of a part exch on the my TV and amp and possible speakers ?

Thanks in advance

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
TV -LG B8
AV reciever -Denon AVR-X2500H

next010

Distinguished Member
Get the OLED like a B8 if in your budget or any other OLED so long as it has 4 HDMI ports, that will take all of your devices with no need for a switch (you can buy switches with IR remotes too).

The OLED is a much bigger upgrade than the AV receiver, put that off till you can afford to update that later.

2funky

Standard Member
Thanks @simonlewis and @next010. Sorry I haven't responded, but I spent most of the weekend taking my existing plasma off the wall mount and putting onto stand, ready for a new AV and TV. So just wanted to get the lounge set to where it will be going forward (pics attached).

So got myself the AV amp (Denon AVR-X2500H), as I managed to get a decent price on it and so far I'm a happy chappy ;-)

Now looking to get the OLED and hopefully a decent deal for black Friday. I'm looking at either the 55" version of LG-B8 or the LG-C8. Just one question - is the jump in price for the C8 going to give me so much more. Trying to figure out whether I should stretch the budget or save the pennies?

Again - thanks for the advise so far..

Attachments

• IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 28

next010

Distinguished Member
Save your money and go with the B8, the C8 has a few more image processing features on it's chip but the panels are the same.

The internal audio speakers on the B8 are not good but seeing as you have a dedicated sound system that's no problem.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom