New 43i TV what to buy?

anobium

My old TV is faulty and I'm getting a new 43 I TV that I mostly use for pc use/gaming, been browsing and apart from the lg oleds th Sony 89j seems.to be the front runner with decent contrast and hdmi 2.1, any other opinions I would entertain, thanks.

next010

Distinguished Member
Sony's not a great pick for PC HDMI 2.1, their 120Hz mode has half resolution and lack support for any VRR standard used by PC's like Freesync/G-Sync.

Something like LG Nano88 is capable of full resolution 120hz, chroma 444 with G-Sync and Freesync but its an IPS panel so your not going to get that good contrast. Also 50" is the smallest size they have for these features.

Samsung has VA panels with above features but smallest in size is 55".

But if none of the above matters and its just for 4K 60hz usage then the Sony is fine.

anobium

Sony's not a great pick for PC HDMI 2.1, their 120Hz mode has half resolution and lack support for any VRR standard used by PC's like Freesync/G-Sync.

Something like LG Nano88 is capable of full resolution 120hz, chroma 444 with G-Sync and Freesync but its an IPS panel so your not going to get that good contrast. Also 50" is the smallest size they have for these features.

Samsung has VA panels with above features but smallest in size is 55".

But if none of the above matters and its just for 4K 60hz usage then the Sony is fine.
Thanks for the reply, yeah 120hz not important to me, 60fps is quite sufficient, whats with The half resolution at 120 hz, does that mean instead of 4k its 1440 at 120?, never heard that before, also I heard they updated the tv to support VRR.

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply, yeah 120hz not important to me, 60fps is quite sufficient, whats with The half resolution at 120 hz, does that mean instead of 4k its 1440 at 120?, never heard that before, also I heard they updated the tv to support VRR.

3840x2160 is cut to 3840x1080, you can see video example.

Sony have said they will add HDMI Forum VRR at some point, but that doesn't mean they will add Freesync or G-Sync support, don't assume they will.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom