New 43" TV

Edgie70

Hi all , I'm looking at getting a new TV , only a 43 inch model due to where the TV is in the living room , I've narrowed my choice down to an LG 43UP81006LR or a Hisense Hisense A7G I wondered if any of you TV experts could have a look and see which is best , one main advantage of the Hisense is that it's hdmi eArc rather than just Arc , many thanks

Dodgexander

Try to measure up your space, use example measurements in width and height from a 50" model and see if it fits. Do not use diagonal, you'll be surprised how small, larger TVs are.

43" is very, very small for an UHD and manufacturers haven't been making good TVs below 50" for some time now. It's just not worth buying a smaller, cheaper model in my opinion.

If you can fit a 48" LGs A1 OLED will be a great option for you, or one of the starter HDR models in my guide here. If not, if you can wait we should see 42" OLEDs this year.

Despite these TVs being cheap, it's just not good value buying either of these TVs. If you absolutely have no choice the Hisense is the better of the two because it uses a VA panel has Dolby Vision support to lessen the problems found when playing back Dolby Vision HDR titles on cheaper TVs.

Compared to the LG that is using an IPS type panel and has no Dolby Vision support.

eARC isn't important unless you plan to connect a soundbar or AVR to the TV and use the TV to route HD audio from a console or UHD Blu-Ray player back to your connected sound device.
For streaming, both externally and internally eARC is not used, even for Dolby Atmos.

*note. I say a TV using a VA panel is better because that's what most people would choose. However, some people will prefer IPS. Each has their own set of pros and cons, read about that here:

Edgie70

Thank you for your great reply , the TV fits in a corner on a stand that is just suitable for a 43" could at a push get a 48" on it but couldn't get a 50 on it , I only have sky+ hd so I'm not that bothered about 4k although I would get a 4k TV because in the future I might get sky Q , I do have a Sonos beam gen 2 so I presume eArc is better than arc for that .

Dodgexander

There's no point having a 4k TV that small, so I'd save your money on the 4k subscription until you can get a bigger TV. If you have a current HD model, keep with it a 43" 4k one isn't going to be much better and will bring with it its own set of problems.

Its only really worth changing your TV if you can get a 48" OLED.

For the Sonos Beam gen 2 it doesn't matter if the TV has eARC or not. It can still receive Atmos without eARC as long as you aren't using a games console or UHD blu-rays.

Edgie70

There's no point having a 4k TV that small, so I'd save your money on the 4k subscription until you can get a bigger TV. If you have a current HD model, keep with it a 43" 4k one isn't going to be much better and will bring with it its own set of problems.

Its only really worth changing your TV if you can get a 48" OLED.

For the Sonos Beam gen 2 it doesn't matter if the TV has eARC or not. It can still receive Atmos without eARC as long as you aren't using a games console or UHD blu-rays.
When you say a 4k brings with it it's own set of problems what do you mean ?

Dodgexander

When you say a 4k brings with it it's own set of problems what do you mean ?
4k TVs present lower quality material worse since they have more upscaling to do. On a smaller TV the difference won't be as apparent but expect the picture to be softer when displaying non-native content.

A bit like how back in the day when we first moved to HD TVs, the presentation of older material looked worse.

Then you have the major problem which is HDR. You get HDR on a modern TV whether you like it or not, on cheaper models that can't get bright enough that causes problems with the picture, this alone is the reason why I don't recommend cheaper/smaller TVs in my yearly guide anymore. I don't want people to buy a TV and then come on the forum like many do complaining about the picture being too dark or washed out.

What you can do is avoid HDR by pairing the TV you buy with an external smart device. I recommend an Apple TV since you can turn HDR off externally that way and enjoy 4k without the setbacks involved using HDR on a TV that can't display it properly.

Lettice Leaf

I have been looking at Hisense QLED Tvs 43" to 50" and will probably get the smaller one as I can afford it and is bigger than my 34" screen, don't think my small living room could cope with anything bigger. It will be my first smart tv as the sony I now have is great but I can't see it so well as my eyesight isn't what it was. I have a firestick for streaming and a Humax Freesat box for recording.
Now here comes a rather stupid question. I am going to buy a Manhattan T3r Freeview box for recording and I tend to watch all programmes through the recording box. If I do this with the new recorder and TV would it be worth getting a QLED TV would I be actually watching that or just watching what the Freeview box shows. I don't understand if I still get all the benefits of QLED if I always watch through the box. I watch through the box as it is easier to set up recordings and watch. I record most things before I watch them.

Lettice Leaf

Looks nice but I think I prefer QLED I like the idea of quantum dots! Of course if I watch through the recording box I am not sure if I will get the same effect. I am not very tech savvy.

Dodgexander

QLED is not anything special and has no impact on the picture quality at all in SDR mode.
In HDR mode, a TV with QLED tech can display more colours but it come secondary to other areas of picture quality that can actually be worse on some QLED TVs.

Best way to look at it is QLED is just an LCD TV, it's not a new display technology like OLED.

Also, there's no point at all buying an UHD model if you're still watching broadcast TV. If you absolutely have to buy something, make it small and sit far away so you don't notice the softer upscaling.

42" OLEDs are coming out soon, then you'll start to see TVs worth changing too if you're still watching broadcast TV over streaming, although even then the picture will be a tad softer.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom