New 43" - 50" TV?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by elKz, Jul 8, 2018.

1. elKz

elKz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently using a 55" LG TV from 2014, in a few months I'm going to be moving and will require another, slightly smaller TV for gaming and some odd tv/movie watching from time to time.

My budget is between £350 - £550, I wouldn't really like to go over that and would obviously like to spend the least amount possible given I'm moving etc.

I don't know much about lower end TVs but I've heard that the Hisense 50N6800 could be a good purchase? I just wanted to run it by people who know their stuff when it comes to TVs, I'm a bit out of the loop.

[Edit] I've found out that the above TV I mentioned Isn't HDR10 but HDR+, I would really like to get HDR10 If possible within my budget.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    That Hisense definitely has HDR10. And probably offers best bang for buck within your budget.

3. elKz

elKz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is from the Hisense website HDR Classification: HDR Plus. Isn't HDR Plus only at 400nitts?

I'm finding several reviews that seem to report 450 nitts.

4. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Don’t know about nits levels but definitely has HDR10 -
    Hisense N6800 TV | Hisense UK - it’s listed in specs just above HDR+

5. elKz

elKz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I noticed that but literally everywhere you look on reviews they state nothing above 450 nits brightness.

I'm now looking at the LG 55SJ810V instead as I'm sure that's 1000 nits.

6. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    No LG lcd gets near 1000 nits. Only Samsung and Sony sets get there - and not within your budget.

If you value black levels and have plans to view in a dark environment then avoid LG lcd sets.

7. elKz

elKz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then I'm assuming the MU7000 is the closest I'm going to get? Out of my price range but I might be able to do something about it or go for the 49" version.

8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    You're getting confused by looking at manufactures specs - ignore them. HDR+/HDR pro or whatever means nothing.

If you want good HDR your only option at smaller sizes right now is the Sony 49XF9005 assuming the 49XE9005 is no longer available.

Do not buy less than this if you are using the TV for HDR, other TVs will support receiving the signal but they will not be good at displaying it. This includes even the Samsung 49MU7000.

Best buys (upper mid range and higher for good HDR):

My best value TVs, 2017 Edition

Unfortunately there is a severe lack of good options at 49" for capable HDR TVs.

9. elKz

elKz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this mean I should ignore the 55MU7000 as well then? I'm considering going for 55 if it's going to give me better HDR options..

That list, while helpful ends up confusing me after looking at different brands.etc.

10. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    If you want a more capable TV with HDR you will want to look at the Sony XE9005. The 49" is all but sold out, the 55" I last saw was still available in some places at £999.

The Samsung 55MU7000 is a decent compromise and a better TV at 55" than 49" and you may be happy with its HDR but key aspects which constitute to a good HDR presentation are missing such as local dimming or high peak brightness.

I split the guide into different performance categories to try and make it easier to know which category you need to look in to get the performance you need from a TV. For example someone looking at a TV with good HDR will see that only the models in the upper mid range or higher really make the cut. Go lower and you get great compromises with HDR presentation.

Hope this helps!

11. elKz

elKz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually decided to go the route of the 55MU7000 instead but unfortunately stock seems to be very sparse. The LG is really the only one I can find in stock, at my price range which is a bit of a pain.

12. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Crampton and Moore have 55MU9000 for £729, though it’s curved. Does come with better anti reflection filter.

13. elKz

elKz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to jump at this offer but I have the problem of not knowing what my living room layout will be when I move so not really sure if curved is for me I guess I'm stuck with the LG.

14. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    @elKz i'll be blunt and say I would avoid getting that LG at all costs. Its not a patch on other TVs in terms of overall picture quality unless you need wider viewing angles. Its using an IPS panel which means for worse blacks, contrast and a lot less of a uniform screen, making parts of the screen noticeably lighter than others. A TV with a VA panel like the Samsung will have narrow viewing angles but it blocks light from the panel so much better and provides greater contrast, deeper blacks and a more uniform screen as a result. Frankly it would be silly to go for the LG.

The MU9000 should be snapped up at that price, Zep found a very good deal there. It's usually priced a lot higher than that.

The MU7000 is getting rarer and rarer now but it can still be found, for example Argos on eBay: Samsung 55 Inch LED 55MU7000 Smart 4K UHD TV with HDR1000 - Argos on eBay 8806088688046 | eBay

There are probably other places too, but it will require some effort chasing stock. Sometimes finding the right deal can take time but it's worth the trouble. Buying a TV isn't just about the model you go for, but the deal you can get. You can buy at the right time on the right deal and get a TV equivalent to its successor in performance for upto 50% less right now.

There are other models which are the same TV too, the last two digits in each Samsung model number usually relate to only aesthetic colour differences so if you find a MU7070 its just as good.

There is also the MU8000 which is the flat version of the MU9000, because its flat though it will be more expensive. I am sure one of the reasons there is such a good price on the MU9000 now is because people aren't buying curved TVs.

On the subject of curved TVs, I really don't know why people don't buy them, the curve is so slight compared to curved computer monitors its barely noticeable and in some ways its more immersive to have the corners of the screen pointing closer towards you. Basically there is no more reason not to buy curved than there is to buy flat. They are equal.

15. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    If flat tv will work then curved will too. I barely notice the curve on my set.

16. elKz

elKz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, thank you both for the input. I'm stuck in a bit of a tricky situation, I intended not to spend over £500 at first and It's already gone up to £700 after looking around. I just checked on the MU9000 on Crampton and It's an extra £70 for the 5 year guarantee so that one is out of the question too.

I'll check around for MU7000 stock a little more, see If I can get anything from RicherSounds as they seem to have some stock in a few stores but nothing they can actually deliver. If I can't get the 55MU7000 then I may either have to leave it or finance a more expensive option which isn't what I wanted to do but, I need a TV.

17. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Ring them and ask for best price with extended warranty.

18. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    If you can't find the Samsung anywhere I would swoop for the Hisense 55U7A from John Lewis.

19. elKz

elKz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll do this first thing tomorrow.

I'll ask If they can match Richersounds first as 6 year warranty is included, If not I'll just go to Richersounds and purchase there. What are the smart features like on the Hisense models? As in do they still have iPlayer, ITV, Plex etc.

20. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    They have all the essential apps and its pretty fast and straightforward. They also use freeview play if you use freeview. It's not as polished as some others and you will find bugs but its not the worst either. A better solution would be to get a Roku streaming stick or similar if you find you are unhappy with any built in smart TV.

21. elKz

elKz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll do my best to stick to Samsung for the time being as the smart features seem very complete, quite fast in comparison. If I can't get anywhere I might just wait because I'd rather get a set that I'm happy with than something I settled for.

If only OLED would drop in price a little more lol.

22. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    electriQ 55 OLED Review - there is this model, recently recommended on the forum.

Toshiba and Hisense are/will enter the OLED market this year too although no idea how good or how competitive pricing will be on them.

Overall it should drop prices a lot lower. Already seeing some crazy deals on the 2017 LG B7 OLED, £1200 after discount codes. Those TVs were selling at £2500 or even more this time last year.

23. elKz

elKz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's definitely a tricky time to be in the market for a new TV. I nearly snapped up the B7 on finance until I realized it only had the 1 year warranty at Argos.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  24. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
  25. elKz

elKz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hadn't until just now, unfortunately still way out of my price range unless I went for the B7.

[Edit]

I've searched around and can't find the MU7000 in stock, at a decent price with delivery so I've given up. I spoke to Crampton & Moore and they weren't able to do anything about the price/warranty so It pushed It towards £800 which I can't outright do.

I'm just going to leave it for now, I've exhausted every avenue and stock is so low on some of these models It's a chore to find them.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  26. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Its that time of year unfortunately. The Hisense U7A isn't really a worse TV than the Samsung so would be a good alternative if you wanted a minimal fuss purchase.

See: Samsung UE55MU7000 4K LED TV Review

&

Hisense U7A (H65U7AUK) Review

The biggest con I can see compared to the Samsung is the lack of 4x HDMI 2.0a ports meaning there are only 2 that are capable of over 30hz @ UHD resolution....but I can list TVs that also have this that cost 2-3 times more than the Hisense.

27. elKz

elKz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason I don't want to go for Hisense is because of a previous set I've had that wasn't that great, can't remember the model number but I had constant issues and ended up having to return it. I'm gonna go take a look at the B7V tomorrow.