1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 42PD5200 - Hitachi PST427 floor stand, pictures, comments, anyone?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sten, Oct 18, 2004.

1. sten

sten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

New to this forum. Hi all :)

Ordered a 42PD5200 from RGB Direct, which they just called to say will arrive tomorrow. Pretty quick and nice service so far. Only strange thing was that even though their web site says free delivery, they added £35 to the price (£2044.99) for the delivery when ordering by phone. Anyway, nice price, so I can live with that.

Look forward to seeing if it buzzes. I personally think it's the best screen out there (don't flame me - there are many good plasmas out there - they all have pros and cons if you ask me - I had pretty much free choice between any 42" screen out there with regards to budget, but I like the design and picture of the Hitachi - it's all personal preference anyway). I had my head (almost) inside all the Hitachi 42PD5X00 I could find in various shops and they seemed quiet, but let's see. It's difficult to get a true impression in noisy shops.

Anyway, I decided to not think about future proofing. Wouldn't be surprised if 42" plasmas will be available in two years time with much higher resolution than today at £2-3K, or maybe LCD's will finally have surpassed plasmas in display quality (well, they look great with still pictures, but then the camera pans and ouch, except for the Philips 32PF9986, which is actually pretty good - I saw the 42PF9986 at Harrods and that couldn't compete with the plasmas - didn't manage to see a 37PF9986 anywhere expect packaged in a box). If not, well, if the Hitachi is still quiet and works in two years time, it has DVI, so that should suffice.

As someone else noted in this forum I also almost gave up buying a plasma. This forum gives the impression that these screens are not worth the money. I'll let you know what I think when I've "heard" the new Hitachi. I'm really looking forward to getting it.

Now, I need to put this screen in a corner, unfortunately, due to the "layout" of the room it's going into.

Has anyone seen the Hitachi PST427 floor stand in real life? Anybody got it? Any pictures? That would be great. Quality impression? Are the "shelves" just pins to place your equipment on, or does it come with glass shelves.

The picture on the Hitachi web site really is quite bad so doesn't give any impression whatsoever. The stand can be purchased for around £320 on the net, which is not bad for a genuine manufacturer's stand - if it's good quality and nicely made that is.

I've got lots more comments on various plasma displays, which I will try to post at one point. I've spent about five days looking over the last two weeks...

Regards,

Sten - imported to the UK from Denmark :)

PS. Can't wait to hear the buzz - I really hope it's going to be reasonably quiet.......

2. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    There is a buzz..... If you stick your ear around the back of the set you'll hear it. But, it's no different to the buzz you'll hear if you stick your ear to the back of a crt set.
    I ordered one of these after reading good reviews. The ones I saw on display were very disappointing pq wise and after reading some of the opinions here, I was dreading its delivery. Happily, when it arrived the picture was fantastic straight out of the box, but you do have to mess about with the settings a bit. I think it's a good TV so far.

3. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a nice picture of the stand.
    I already was looking at the 42pd5200, but went for the Philips 42pf9966.

The philips 32pf9986 was realy realy outstanding. But the 37pf9986 wasn't that good at all. No good black levels.

Attached Files:

4. sten

sten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm prepared for it to buzz a bit (as all plasmas seem to do), just hope it doesn't drown the sound :rolleyes:

I look forward to play around with it and have made a note of some of the settings mentioned in this forum, though I'll run it in first.

Glad to hear from a happy owner :) I hope to join you :)

5. sten

sten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lemke, thanks, that's the best picture I have seen so far. It's still a manipulated (Hitachi brochure) picture though and it's not possible to see if there are shelves and if so, what they are made of :)

I should maybe have considered the Philips models. I do like the Alis pictures. For example, I agree with a few other posts here, that the Sony 37SX1 is a great plasma screen - absolutely super for telly as the built-in freeview tuner works great wonders. And even though official list is very high it can be bought from Digital Direct for around £2400 (admittedly with standard one year warranty only). And DVDs look excellent as well going by a demo in a Sony shop. Shame that the speakers cannot be detached though.

I'll keep the Philips in mind if I get disappointed with the Hitachi :)

Thanks for the pic.

6. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sten

If your Hitachi is to be situated in a corner, I would recommend you put it on an 'oppli' type bench on the desktop stand.

Put the bench and screen flat against a side wall then swivel the plasma towards the viewing positions.

This will save space and money.

Good luck.

7. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my 42PD5200 for about 2 months now. No noticable buzz at 10 feet. DVD PQ is great :smashin: , terestrial analogue tv is terrible :thumbsdow , might need digital TV signal, I hope that makes it better, but spent all my money on the screen so I'll have to wait a few weeks.

Amen to settings tweeking note though, make sure you get DVE and calibrate it yourself my settings ended up quite differrent to those posted on these forums.

8. sten

sten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments from everyone :thumbsup:

bowler, I'll be looking at some different stands, including the oppli (thanks for the tip) to see what fits best. I don't want the screen too high up so will try to find a low stand (that alone rules out Hitachi's own). Just need space enough to squeeze in a dvd/hdd recorder and a receiver, both of which I still need to buy - and some cables.

esrg, it buzzes a bit, but nothing of concern, and I would imagine no more than any other plasma, so that's cool. I'm currently running it with a Pioneer freeview receiver and it gives reasonably good pictures straight out of the box (on some of the freeview channels, but not all). I'll play around with it the coming evenings to try and tune it a bit. Again, need to get some decent cables for the freeview receiver as well. I haven't even tried the analogue tuner yet. Our arial here is quite crap, which means that freeview probably isn't as good as it could be. I'll try to look into that as well and let you know what sort of freeview quality I can obtain with the Hitachi and the Pioneer.

Look forward to hooking up a good DVD player via component :)

See you around.

9. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah my DVD is hooked by component (pal prog. scan (and on my player progressive scan does improve the picture ALIS screen or not!) and I'm very happy with it for all but ntsc discs. I get some banding of colours. I'm thinking about replacing my DVD player for one with DVI output and upscaling. The hitachi only has 8 bit video procecessor so it can struggle to keep up on low res/quality signals where there's lots of processing to be done. You might want to think about a digital signal to minimise this. If I can persude the boss to buy a second DVD player in as many months I'll you know if the differrence is significant ;) .

10. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

The prices of the 42pd5x00 range seems to vary wildly between stores, has anyone found cheaper than the Flatdeal.co.uk price of £2045 inc. VAT and Delivery for the 42pd5200?

It's gonna be about a fortnight before I order so I'm just getting an idea of the price at the moment.

11. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    ERSG.
    I have a Momitsu dvd player which upscales to 1080i and 720p via DVI.
    I have to say though, that I can't see any difference between the pic on this and my old Tosh 220. In fact the pic on the 220 looks sharper to me. 1080i is jerky, any progressive signal is smooth, but still not as good as the 220.

12. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    ESRG.
    Apologies for the miss-spelling! :oops:

13. El_MUERkO

El_MUERkO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I use Kelkoo to search for lowest prices... this is one for the 5200

http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/ctl/do/sort?pid=9204501&catId=127101&field=price

I've been looking into getting a plasma TV for some time now and the 5200 appeals to me the most.

Does anyone know how Playstation 2 games look on it?

Also I have a DVI out on my PC, I was thinking of connecting it up to the 5200 to view DIVX and Quicktime video, has anyone tried this?