New 42inchPioneer

Flash80

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been keeping an eye on these forums for quite some time now as i am getting close to buying a 42 inch plasma. I have been leaning towards a panasonic 600 but was waiting on the new pioneer. Has anybody got any info about them.

The 6th generation of the Pioneer displays are the latest ones you will find.
I have the 436 XDE which is absolutely superb.
Every review I read rated it the No. 1 plasma display available.

If you don't need the stand or speakers then go to www.shopbyprice.co.uk.
Cheapest place I found it.

Scott

thanks, i knew the 7th gen was due out soon. However just been reading some posts and it seems i may have to go back to the drawing board as i am sitting too close to the screen. I think the GF has the couch about 4 maybe 5 feet from the tv. Is that not a bit too close :mad: and no we cannot move much further back, the room is a funny shape and won't allow that

I think flash means the forthcoming 7th gen Pioneers, which are 42" not 43".

Some details are here:
http://pioneer.jp/press/release164.html

No media receiver, sports mode and 10-bit HDMI jump out as big changes.

It's fairly obvious though that the 7th gen is one big exercise in cost-cutting to regain competitiveness. Expect prices to go head on with the Panasonics.

dingwall said:
Some details are here:
http://pioneer.jp/press/release164.html

No media receiver, sports mode and 10-bit HDMI jump out as big changes.

It's fairly obvious though that the 7th gen is one big exercise in cost-cutting to regain competitiveness. Expect prices to go head on with the Panasonics.

Is 10-bit HDMI a bad thing?

I'm also keeping an eye on new Pioneer 427 series. I know it uses a NEC panel, but I've been reading some USA forums (427 is already available over the pond) and ppl don't seem to mind. Didn't find any reviews, tho.

Does anybody know if Panasonic will launch new models soon?

Flash80 said:
thanks, i knew the 7th gen was due out soon. However just been reading some posts and it seems i may have to go back to the drawing board as i am sitting too close to the screen. I think the GF has the couch about 4 maybe 5 feet from the tv. Is that not a bit too close :mad: and no we cannot move much further back, the room is a funny shape and won't allow that

Theres lots on this in this forum. Personally I think you're right. 4-5' is probably a bit too close. Prob ok with HD but SD nope. For 42' I would recommend 9' min.

Buy a new house for your 50" model ;)

huntere said:
Theres lots on this in this forum. Personally I think you're right. 4-5' is probably a bit too close. Prob ok with HD but SD nope. For 42' I would recommend 9' min.

I agree with this...

I don't think you be happy at all with the SD picture at 4/5ft away from a 42" screen..

Am myself is about 10ft to 11ft away from my 43" pioneer plasma which i say is about just right.

Hi everyone

Like a lot of people here, I have been waiting to see a review of the 427 series in the UK, particularly how it compares to the 436. Well my copy of the October What Hi Fi flopped through my letterbox 30 minutes ago and has a full page first test on the higher spec 427XD...

... 5 stars, full of praise on SD, DVD and HD PQ, and "it might be an inch or two narrower than its predecessors but its performance reaches across far greater boundaries".

Can't wait to see one on demo. Do any of the stores have them yet?

Blinker said:
Hi everyone

Like a lot of people here, I have been waiting to see a review of the 427 series in the UK, particularly how it compares to the 436. Well my copy of the October What Hi Fi flopped through my letterbox 30 minutes ago and has a full page first test on the higher spec 427XD...

Good news for everyone that's been waiting for this model. Tnx!

chaparral said:
I agree with this...

I don't think you be happy at all with the SD picture at 4/5ft away from a 42" screen..

Am myself is about 10ft to 11ft away from my 43" pioneer plasma which i say is about just right.

I would second that.

I had to move a foot xtra back (from 6 to 7ft) with my Panny 37" (SD material) and it's a bit better.

Idealy i'd like to be 8-9 ft away so i'd imagine a 43" would be best around 10ft give or take.

My local Pioneer dealer is expecting to get the PDP-427XD within the next two weeks. I am assured the panel is a fanless design as well (if like me you hate panel buzz/fan noise :thumbsup: ).

But have Pioneer resolved the screen-burn issue of the 436 :confused:

Blinker said:
... 5 stars, full of praise on SD, DVD and HD PQ, and "it might be an inch or two narrower than its predecessors but its performance reaches across far greater boundaries".

Can you put all full page review? Thanks

allgabi said:
Can you put all full page review? Thanks

Might have copy right issues placing a scan of the review online, I am sure the moderators will not be happy.

Pop down to your newsagents on thursday and purchase a copy; it has a group test of large screens tooo

adrian

HoTTdog said:
But have Pioneer resolved the screen-burn issue of the 436 :confused:

I'd love to get one of the TVs - but I wonder how I will know if the retention problems have been sorted. I guess I'll just have to wait a few months and see if anyone has any problems...

RonCH said:
I'd love to get one of the TVs - but I wonder how I will know if the retention problems have been sorted. I guess I'll just have to wait a few months and see if anyone has any problems...
Get a Panny and you won't have to worry :rolleyes:

Of course you may want a stylish display so forget the PX range and go for a PH9

Flameproof suit deployed ;) :D :rotfl:

HoTTdog said:
Get a Panny and you won't have to worry :rolleyes:

Of course you may want a stylish display so forget the PX range and go for a PH9

Flameproof suit deployed ;) :D :rotfl:

You might be right, but I personally, just don't like how the Panny's look.

screen burn was resolved post october 6th gen build date.

the new gen are not cost cutting exercises at te expense of quality. the purchase of NEC came with a glass cutting machine that allows 2 screens to be made in 42 inches from the supply glass with far less waste in terms of off cuts. Thats why they are now 42 inch, much more cost effective.

They are not rebranded NECs.

Will a Plasma bought from the German site on page 1 work OK in the UK as I thought we had a different system PAL to them?

As even with a delivery charge it makes it a very good deal

nick67 said:
Will a Plasma bought from the German site on page 1 work OK in the UK as I thought we had a different system PAL to them?

As even with a delivery charge it makes it a very good deal

Picture=Yes
Sound=No

Had a demonstration on a Pioneer 436 XDE yesterday which I was very impressed by after a trip to Home Media in Maidstone. Is it worth waiting for the new Pioneers to come out? These guys have a sale on in August which looks good. Any Ideas??

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom