New 40" - 43" screen for bedroom

RakeshP

Hi, I'd like some help deciding which TV to buy for my bedroom. Currently have a 10+ year old 26" Panasonic, no smarts, buzzing from the panel, can't connect FireTV stick, etc. I've put in answers below to common questions but I fear there is not a TV that can accommodate my needs :) Main lounge has a Panasonic 46" GT30 plasma which is still going strong and no burn in!

I'm considering the Panasonic 40GX400 currently £449 in Costco and Samsung 7410 from JL but am open to options

Do you have fibre internet capable of UHD streaming? Yes
Will you be buying and using an UHD Blu-Ray player? No
Netflix? Yes
Amazon? Yes
Apple TV Never
Catch up TV? Sure
HDR games consoles? No
PC usage? No
DVDs? No
FHD Blu-Rays? No
Sky, BT or Virgin? UHD or HD? Freesat is a must as no aerial connection. I could buy a stand alone aerial
  • SD vs HD vs UHD use percentage? 50% 25% 25%
  • Movies, sport, console games, PC use in percentage? Movies and TV shows 50%/50%
  • How close can you view the TV? 2m
  • Do you need to view the TV from the side or only straight on? 15-20 degrees off axis, but TV is above eye line as watching from the bed looking up, 20 degrees
  • What conditions do you view in? During the day? At night with lights on? In the dark? All
  • What TV are you currently using and what are expecting to see upgrading to a new TV? Panasonic 26" screen
  • Motion - Are you interested in being able to use motion enhancements on your TV to reduce judder and/or reduce motion blur? Both frame interpolation and frame insertion let you do this, read more about it here. They both have their upsides and downsides, so read carefully. Would like smooth motion but not overly processed
Please rearrange the following PQ attributes, in descending importance:

Blacks
SDR Colour Saturation
SDR Colour Accuracy
HDR Colour Accuracy
HDR Colour Saturation
Local dimming
How accurate the picture is out of the box (without having to change any settings) - Least important as I will tinker until happy. Do not want a set that has overblown fake colours, prefer 'as the director intended'

Now for bugs, tell us your possible pet hates related to TVs, in descending order:

Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming
Loss of detail in dark areas
Motion Blur
Motion Judder
Motion stutter
Temporary image retention
Soap Opera Effect
3:2 Pulldown Judder with 24hz movies.
Reflective screens
Haloing

Now which is most important to you?

Connections (FreeSAT but worst case I can buy a new FreeSAT box and Ethernet port)
HDR (Won't list all as would like to keep options open but would like DV)
Smart TV Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, iPlayer
HDR PQ
SDR PQ
Sound

RakeshP

@Dodgexander Thanks! Are you aware of a way to take an aerial signal from a coax and transmit it over cat6 and then at the other end back to coax? The problem I have is that the company I had to install the outdoor aerial and satellite ran 4+1 cables back to a central location in the house so that I could plug those into an Optima multiswitch, but the builder took the aerial feed and placed it behind my lounge TV. So there is no aerial feed into the multiswitch from which I could have sent both RF and Sat signals around the house. So now I need to plug the aerial feed from behind the TV into a device which can carry the RF over my structured cabling back to the location where the multiswitch lives. The floor is tiled so no way of going under the floor.

I found this which I think could work. https://cpc.farnell.com/muxlab/5003...mOGk5LCVcwBMFGl_vccmmAeussDQy3vwaAoC4EALw_wcB

Dodgexander

@Dodgexander Thanks! Are you aware of a way to take an aerial signal from a coax and transmit it over cat6 and then at the other end back to coax? The problem I have is that the company I had to install the outdoor aerial and satellite ran 4+1 cables back to a central location in the house so that I could plug those into an Optima multiswitch, but the builder took the aerial feed and placed it behind my lounge TV. So there is no aerial feed into the multiswitch from which I could have sent both RF and Sat signals around the house. So now I need to plug the aerial feed from behind the TV into a device which can carry the RF over my structured cabling back to the location where the multiswitch lives. The floor is tiled so no way of going under the floor.

I found this which I think could work. https://cpc.farnell.com/muxlab/5003...mOGk5LCVcwBMFGl_vccmmAeussDQy3vwaAoC4EALw_wcB
I'm no expert when it comes to signal distribution. there will likely be more people who are better equipped such as replies in this thread: Does splitting aerial for two TVs lose much signal strength?

You'll want to split the signal as close to the source as you can, so if you are splitting the signal as far down the chain as the TV output, you may, depending on how strong the signal is already, have more problems than you will splitting it close to the antenna.

RakeshP

Thanks. I'm trying to extend the cable but over cat6, won't need the aerial feed in it's current location. I'll give muxlab a call to find out if that device can do what I need.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom