New 40"-42" LCD/LED - Replacing 5yr model

Stoofa

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, brief history.
We purchased our current Samsung 40" LCD almost 5yrs ago. After 3yrs there was a problem and most of the screen went "psychedelic". Thankfully we'd purchased it with a 5yr warranty and a logic board (I believe) was replaced.
Just recently we've had a new problem, there is a horizontal line 6" from the bottom and everything under that line is pixelated, occasionally this area flickers off, but is usually on.

I know technology has moved on. To give you an idea, we paid £1100 for this TV. It was FullHD which I know a lot weren't at the time, but still it wasn't cheap.
So potentially looking for a replacement.

40" suits us althought we could probably get away with 42"
Despite the issues we have been blown away with the Samsung with HD sources.
Don't really want to spend £1100 again on one. But I do appreciate that you do need to spend a fair amount to get a good unit.
3D is "interesting" but not at the expense of 2D. So if there is 3D as an option, but the 2D doesn't suffer then it might be nice to have. BUt watching Blu-Rays and SkyHD are the main use of the unit.

So with all that in mind, where would your ££££ be going?

Ta

Do you want access to things like Smart functions, built in wi-fi etc?

I've seen some of the smart features and have been impressed. I loved the Samsung voice and hand controls....but appreciate they only appear on the top-end models so that would mean spending a lot.
The ability to use iPlayer, 4OD and the like directly from the TV rather than relying on other equipment would be nice (iPlayer via the PS3 seems to be problematic as it seems to "time out" and dim the screen).
So smart would be nice and I'd guess for those to work it would need to have WiFi?

All this year's - only a one year warranty at £750 - it's the second JL link I posted, so RS a little cheaper if you don't need delivery

The number just indicates differences in spec and aesthetics - I doubt there is much difference between them as actual TVs!

One thing to be aware of is most LED-LCD screens suffer clouding which may bug you if you watch dark stuff in a dark room

I had heard mention of "clouding" so maybe I'll need to go and take a look. Only issue is of course seeing "dark stuff in a dark room" with regards any showroom.
If most of the screens do it then I guess you must be able to cope with it - there will be a lot of LED owners out there and they aren't all constantly screaming about it :)

Thanks for your input. I think I'll try and see both TV's in the flesh. Worth paying the little more for JL I think for the 5yr warranty. Plus they can take the old one away for us.

I have clouding on mine, rarely bothers me - most of my dark screens are just the credits and who bothers with those!

John Lewis also have a very good no quibble returns policy if not happy

People on forums and reviewers are often rather more picky than your average punter and like to have something to comment (i.e. moan) about :D

Sevenoaks S&V have demo rooms and sell Samsung, but will likely be more costly, not sure about warranties either

Happy TV Shopping :)

Really looking at buying one of these Samsung's now. Am I being silly - The only real difference I can see between the two TV's is that one has a 200hz frame rate and the other one has 400hz?
I guess it could be argued if you're spending that kind of money you shouldn't "skrimp" and just pay the extra £50.

WHat are people's opinion on the JL warranty? Do they for example come and collect the TV if there is a fault or would you need to get it into a store?
If a device is non-repaireable would I get a TV of equal or better specification?
Cheers.

Just marketing numbers really, extra processing - do you game - if so probably more lag. JL come to you to fix the TV and take away if needed, you don't need to do anything. My parents had their TV sorted very quickly between Xmas and New Year, but the guy did a 50 mile round trip twice, temp fix and then back with the needed part

I think they replace like for like - not on value as every year TVs get cheaper or spec higher for same money! Or they offer a cash settlement (but take depreciation into account) and you can add more if want a different TV...I think anyhow! Probably find their warranty T&Cs on the website, or could call them, or ask in store

The other good thing is that JL will still be in business in 5 years time to honour the warranty...others may not be...for example, Comet was sold for a £1 not so very long ago, not a stable business IMo

I'm not sure I should ask this follow up question here or start another thread elsewhere.
So I was just about to pull the trigger on the UE40ES6800 when I find that John Lewis have dropped the price by £40, but it's also gone out of stock.
I notice Richer Sounds have it, once I add the 5yr warranty on it's £25 more than JL, however they are listing it as "last few". Is this indication that this model is about to or has already been discontinued?
Is that a particular issue.....I just guess if it is the case there is a good chance stock will be limited, so JL might not get any more?
The UE40ES6540 looks absolutely fine and we may go for that one instead, but just wondered if I'm looking at older models and there will be replacements soon?
Ta

Have you tried in store at JL - different stocks to the web business :) Does the website say email when stock arrives or out of stock - the latter may mean no more are due

Lasr few with RS, often indicates ex display or customer returns

Not older models - not until spring 2013

Thanks again for your response. There is no "email me when stock arrives" option on the JL website so might be they aren't expecting any more.
I'm kicking myself as on the Friday there were "more than 10" in stock when they were £849 and then Saturday morning they are out of stock at a new price of £809.
Spoke to RS, their remaining stock is in-store only. A quick check and my local store don't have any and a call to the closest one that has stock tells me it's an ex-demo which I'm not mad on.

Comet have it at £809, but they want £279 on top for a 5yr warranty. So there seems to be stock out there, just not at a store that can offer me a free or reasonably priced 5yr warranty to go with it.

I'll give it a few days for JL to update. If not I'll have to see what else is available.
The ES6540 is still available and in stock (just annoying as the 6800 is now only £10 more).
The other option is of course to look at:
http://www.johnlewis.com/231731484/Product.aspx - ES6900
But that is £950, so £100 over what I was prepared to pay for the 6800 and £150 over what it's priced at now.

Last edited:
Definitely try phoning branches of JL - where are you based?

I'm between Cambridge & Peterboro so big store in Cambridge. Been busy all day today, but I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they got.

Be less mad after the BH too :)

Don't think they have that TV new though he said :)

A final(ish) post here for now. Looking at the 6900, it comes in at £949. This is £100 more than I was going to spend on the 6800.
However, the 6900 does come with a free Samsung HW-E350 Soundbar. I hae an Onkyo surround-sound setup, so really have no use for this item. It seems to retail new at around the £130 - £150 mark. Do you think that if I was to hit the auction sites, sell it as brand new I'd be able to get anywhere around the £100 mark for it?
Just seems a logical way of possibly doing it - spend £100 more on the TV and then get £100 back from reselling one of the accessories.
Ta

Sounds like a plan

LOL - I'm really not meant to have a new TV.
So the 6800 seems to be going out of stock and I cannot find one for good price with a 5yr warranty.
The 6900 was £100 cheaper at Curry's however someone said JL would pricematch. So I filled in the form and I've been waiting all day for them to say "yes" and then I'd order it. Just popped to the JL site and now the 6900 has gone out of stock too :)

Think I'll need to sit back and wait on this one unfortunately. Oh well, back to watching my broken TV.

OK, well just a conclusion to my own thread (well until I post back saying how great or how rubbish the item I've purchased is), JL got more stock this morning.
So, I've ordered the ES6900 with the free HW-E350 Soundbar and Samsung wireless keyboard.
Should have been £949 at JL (want the 5yr warranty) however they price matched the Curry's price at £849.
Delivery on Wednesday the 5th - at last, a TV that isn't borken!

There is a form on their website to complete / email. Or perhaps you can do directly over the phone or in store (if have stock - different stocks to the web business)?

Cheers for that. Just rang them. Will get back to me within 48hours once they confirm price.

Bargain with the extra bits!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom