New 3D TV - Budget £900 (Will Donate)

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Speedy14, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Speedy14

Speedy14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All.

I'm after a 42" - 50" 3D TV with a STRICT budget of £900

It will be used for TV (Football!), Blu-Rays and ALOT of Gaming. So it'll need to have low input lag, but don't want to have to sacrifice too much picture quality.

I'm not too bothered about Smart TV but would be a bonus.

I know this sub forum can be a thankless task sometimes so I will donate £20 via PayPal to the persons suggestion I decide to go with as a thank you!

Thanks again!

2. andy2322

andy2322

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
  3. PhilGB

PhilGB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I would go for a plasma as it will produce the most natural motion for watching sport. However, you will also need to consider lag for gaming which on plasma screens can be worse than an equivalent LCD.

The best plasmas by far are the Panasonic series. I would recommend either the ST or GT series with the GT being the higher specification set and largely seen as the best 'bang for buck' in the 2013 lineup.

Current prices show that you can get the 2013 42" GT60B for just a touch over £900. A review for the set (review is 50" but still applies) can be found here:
    GT60B Review

If the extra size is important you may still be able to find a 2012 50" GT50B in some places for under your budget. A review for this set can be found here:

GT50B Review

I would do a bit more research into these sets and see if the input lag could affect you. Both sets lie in the 25-28ms range for lag. I'm no expert on LCDs I'm afraid so you may need someone else to help in that field.

P.S. If the £20 would help you actually afford your new TV then keep it!

Cheers!
    Phil

4. Speedy14

Speedy14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, both good suggestions.

The GT60 really appeals to me because of the reviews I've seen and the quality is meant to be superb but my worry is image retention. My girlfriend and daughter leave the TV on all the time and I myself play a lot of FPS games for hours on end with my brother. I've heard there's a scrolling bar but people have had to use it for hours and I don't want the hassle of that. Otherwise the TV is perfect for what I want.

The Sony W8 has been reviewed highly for gaming which is good but apparently the blacks aren't very good on the TV. Is it as bad as people say or just for the trained eye of a videophile?

5. redswoo

redswoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    If willing to sacrifice 3D take a look at the 50" 1080p KDL50W656. It has the same spec as the 32 and 42 W6 which is highly recommended on this forum for gaming. Owners thread here.

It is currently very scarce and I have only seen one review so far which is on amazon and says it is good, it is for sale at amazon £777 (they did have 1 in stock this morning but its now gone back to 1-3month delivery) and richersounds for £779 + £77.95 for 5 year Guarantee.

Also the KDL50W655 I think is the same but with a black bezel available at Argos for £899.99.

I am hoping that John Lewis bring it into stock soon.

6. Insanity202

Insanity202
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,890
    The W8 I believe uses a IPS led panel. Plus side is its wide viewing angle, downside in low light the blacks go more grey.
    In the light the blacks are fantastic though. A bit of bias lighting (lamp on in the corner of the room for example) will help make the blacks look deeper.
    Sony have done great with there tv's this year. Thus I own one :D

Because your doing plenty of gaming I wouldn't advise a plasma. There is a risk of IR. I know I got the odd jot but it always shifted. Though I kept gaming on most occasions to a couple of hours before taking a break.
    Now with my led I go a bit mental and have sessions up to 5-6hrs.