New 3D Tv and problems with Blu-ray playback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warnie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, hope this is the correct forum to post, apologies if not.

Just had my new 3D tv for two days (LG 770) and have watched a couple of programmes on Sky £D and the passive glasses that came with the set are working fine.

I went to try to watch a 3D blu-ray film today via my 3D blu-ray player and I just can't seem to get it set up using the red/blue glasses that came with the disc. I just don't understand it and wondering if I'm supposed to be doing something or whether the tv doesn't like watching 3D via the blue/red glasses.

Like I said I'm new to this technology and know very little about 3D but keen to get it right from the start!!

thanks.

Hi,

You've fallen into the trap of buying an anaglyph 3D film.

You can play these on any TV (even your 3D TV) but they wont look anything like as good as your LG TV can produce - and not as good as watching Sky either.

You can watch by just playing as a 2D film and wearing the cardboard glasses

...but I'd take it back if you can and get a proper 3D blu-ray :)

Thanks Jason - that makes sense. The two films I bought months ago when they were cheap (Piranha and Final Destination) but both came with the read/blue glasses.

I can't remember where I bought them from to be honest so stuck with them but is there an easy way to know what versions of the 3D blu-ray's I should be buying. They don't always say if they are anaglyph or not. Thanks for the information Jason.

Hi :hiya:
If your Piranha copy is the 2 Disc version,one disc uses the Red/Blue glasses to view it,the other disc marked Bluray 3d is the one to view with the LG glasses for full HD colour 3D

All new 3D releases are Full HD 3D
But there are still a few older 3D films for sale that just use the Red/Blue glasses to view
Ones I'know off are what you have and
Journey to the centre of Earth Red /Blue only

These films below come in both Red/Blue and BluRay 3D versions
Street Dance
My Bloody Valentine
Coraline
So check the details on case
Full 3D HD discs are marked BluRay 3D and state you need a 3D enabled TV/Player and 3D glasses to view them
BigCam

Thanks guys, will try them again and make sure which disc I use!! I watched a 3D film off sky last night and it was amazing!!

They don't always say if they are anaglyph or not
Put it the other way - when they're real 3D BRs the boxes make that perfectly clear - there's a very distinct logo on them to say so:
Blu-ray_3D_%28logo%29.svg

I haven't come across those titles that comes with both versions in the same box, but as the others say there are several titles that happen to be available in both versions and unscrupulous suppliers may not make it clear which it is that they're selling.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, I was indeed playing the "fake" 3D disc! I've just tried the other disc and it works fine - as well as Piranha can!!! I was confused with the second disc saying 3D feature (but no 3D logo) - I just assumed it would be the one! Valuable lesson and relieved it's not the tv!!

Thanks for the help guys, I was indeed playing the "fake" 3D disc!
I appreciate you're only quoting but unless someone's put a false 3D blu-ray logo on the box then there's nothing fake about an Anaglyph disc.

The actual 3D content (depth & pop etc.) is likely to be identical to the blu-ray version but is in a different format which for someone with only a 2D display is the best stab at 3D they have.

I was indeed quoting and meant no offence by using the term fake, not my intention at all.

Mods can you please close this thread now?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure we all knew what Wootball meant when he used the word "fake" - it wasn't an accusation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom