1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 3805 hook up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tpc3416, Feb 23, 2005.

1. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone tried this? Read a review of the Denon AVR3805 on hooking it up differently for better sound. Here is the advice he gives... Will this damage the amp or actually work? I'd imagine it would work on older model Denon amps as well.

"Want to improve the already great sound of your 3805? Set all speakers to large; turn subwoofer OFF or NONE. Set to play on Pure Direct. The full signal + LFE is sent to your L&R mains. Connect a "Y" adaptor from your front L&R preamp outs to your subwoofer in. Why do this? This removes a crossover that results in even warmer, sweeeter but cleaner sound! Believe me...you are not getting the most potential out of either your speakers or amplifier without setting up the 3805 in this manner.

I also use a SignalCable 8' power chord that gives a superior current flow that improves dynamics very noticeably, along with SignalCable interconnects and speaker cable."

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,416
    Surely that would just send the full range frequencies from FL and FR to the subs so you would get every frequency coming from the sub. The sub, designed for LFE would be trying to act as amid range woofer and a tweeter too. I think that would be a bad idea and sound disasterous.

Shouldn't do any damage to anything though so feel free to try it out and post your results here. Especially if they prove me wrong!

3. miguelbarroso

miguelbarroso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Get a REL Subwoofer, and use the High Level cable...

M.

4. Razumikhin

Razumikhin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shodan, since it's perfectly possible to connect a sub to the pre-out on at stereo amp - and hence send a full range signal to the sub - why should it be "disasterous" to do the same in a surround setup?

5. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,416
    I just thought it would "sound" disarsterous! Seeing as subs are designed for LFE only (duh, bit of a no brainer from me there! Doh!), surely if they are going to be trying to do mid range frequencies and high range frequencies then not only will the sound they produce be not very nice, but it'll mix up in with the sound from the other speakers.

6. miguelbarroso

miguelbarroso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If your subwoofer aplies a lowpass filter to the signal, it won't reproduce mid and high freqs

It all depends on the subwoofer...

M.