New 37" LCD Toshiba / Philips / Panasonic

JforJonny

Standard Member
Hello!
I'm having a small dilemma regarding my first HD LCD.
Just moved into a new place and after trawling this site and others have picked a few sub-£600 potential candidates:

Toshiba 37XV505DB
Philips 37PFL5603
Panasonic TH-37PX80B (I know it's a plasma!)

Will be used for V+ box, Wii and DVD.
I'm leaning towards the Toshiba for price and reviews read, can anybody offer advice on the best one to choose?
Are there any obvious choices I've missed off here? (not a fan of Samsungs).

I have gone for 37" given viewing distance of just under 3m, is this a good idea?
All help appreciated!
Jonny

audiphile76

I have gone for 37" given viewing distance of just under 3m, is this a good idea?
All help appreciated!
Jonny
I sit a bit more than 2.5 meters and i have a 42PX80. Great panel for SD, movies and gaming.

If you prefer an LCD, go for Sony sets. They are very reliable and good build quality.

MikeyDave

Go for the 37" Panny you wont regret it, I sit about 3 meters from the screen and I think if I had a bigger screen it wouldn't be as clear, I know people will tell you go in store and audition one but the problem with that is you always look at the biggest screen you can afford.:lesson:

JforJonny

Standard Member
Thanks, I hadn't considered a Sony so will look into those now.

I am in a very light top floor with big windows & veluxes and no curtains, if I go for a plasma is there likely to be a dulling of the picture or reflection from LCD screens on sunny days?

Sull

Standard Member
People say good things about the 37XV505DB but this has just been replaced with the 37XV555DB. AFAIK the differences between the two are purely cosmetic.

There will be a 37RV555DB out in November though which will be 100HZ.

audiphile76

I am in a very light top floor with big windows & veluxes and no curtains, if I go for a plasma is there likely to be a dulling of the picture or reflection from LCD screens on sunny days?
I think if you have big windows with no curtains, you should not consider plasmas at all. Reflections from plasma are quite bad and annoying and not watchable. Also its better to consider non-glossy LCDs like Samsung which have clear glass panels.

JforJonny

Standard Member
So...

Things have moved on a little bit now, a plasma is definitely out of the question after viewing some in-store yesterday, both myself and the other half were much more impressed with the LCD picture quality in general.

Also not impressed with the Philips, so for 37" I have now narrowed down to the

Toshiba 37XV505DB
Sony KDL37V4000U

I don't have issues with glare or reflection as my big window faces North and the TV spot does not get direct sunlight :)

I am thinking I could stretch to a 40" or 42" if the price is right for a good set. Are there any LCDs that are worth a look as so far I have really limited myself to the 37" market...

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

cedric

The XV 505 will be old stock
It was replaced by the xv555
The only difference is cosmetic
There is an RV555 OUT in a few weeks
I am waiting for that
I agree when looking the px80 doesnt, look great but it is the top rated tv
I preferred the xv505 also
THE PANNY LX800 is meant to be excellent but 300 quid more:eek:

JforJonny

Standard Member
Any views on the Panasonic LCD vs Toshiba?
37LZD80 is £650 at Argos, can get the Toshiba 37XV505DB for £530 inc del. For

Still might by swayed by the plasma 42Px80 for £600 from Richer Sounds / Dixons!!

AArrgghh this is a lot of choice!!:confused::confused::confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom