• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New 37" LCD advice please

shazboy

Standard Member
Hey all,

So the time has come for me to finally get a HD TV for the front room and I just need a few pointers/recommendations;

I'm looking for a 37" LCD TV, preferably with full 1080HD, which will mainly be used to watch standard-def Sky as well as the occasional DVD.

The most I'm looking to spend is about £700, but if I can find something between £600 - 650 then that would be ideal.

Personally, I like the look of the Philips range of TV's - aesthetically, and the reviews for the 32 inchers say that it's great, but my sister thinks I should get a Samsung.

It's a shame that the original Ambilight series is nowhere to be found (as far as I can tell) or I would have gone one, so yeh...any advice please guys?
(Links to TV's and/or model no's would be appreciated - thanks!)

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Why do you want full HD? Planning to hook up to PC?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Well for your uses, you would be better off with 720p

Check out the 37PX10 plasma - £499 from John Lewis

Only blu-ray is 1080p, but it looks great on the plasma too

Cheaper TV, get yourself a BR player to go with it :)

vickster

Distinguished Member
Just not as keen on LCD for SD (I have both running off Virgin and the plasma is far superior)

Which Philips are you considering? They tend to be expensive due to the aesthetics, personally PQ is more important to me but each to their own

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom