New 360 doesnt scratch discs when turned over.

R

rottyman

I just done a little test with the replacement 360 i received today and i turned it from vertical to horizontal and vice versa with an old audio cd in and it didnt scratch the disc. Maybe they have fixed the problem with the drives scratching the disc and just for the record i dont recommend anyone does this unless its with an old cd. Anyone else noticed this or is it just mine. Manufacture date is jan 16th

There isn't a "problem" with the 360s - it's spinning something extremely fast in one direction, and if you tilt it while it is doing so it's gonna hit something.

ThePiousFlea said:
There isn't a "problem" with the 360s - it's spinning something extremely fast in one direction, and if you tilt it while it is doing so it's gonna hit something.

Well i wouldnt say an audio cd spins very fast but i remember i tried an audio cd with my old 360 and it left a big ring around the outside. I do know microsoft state in the manual that you shouldnt do this but obviously its gonna happen and it needs sorting. Apparently some rental stores refuse to to rent games until its fixed.

There was a link posted to a site that showed that putting pieces of foam padding on the inside of the disc drive actually prevented the discs from being scratched when the console was moved.

Perhaps MS have started using drives which have these pieces of foam.

That's funny about the rental stores, I mean they come up with a statement like that then charge you £3.75 for a DVD rental which is all scratched up, I never got into the DVD rental as every time I rent someting from BB it is always scratched to bits, even new release titles, do any of you bother checking the disc before you take it, i mean some of them can casue damage to your system i'd never put a rental 360 game into my 360...., i fear for those with £1000+ DVD players who rent from blockbuster, and of course the a disc would get damaged if you turn the 360 on it's side, it's common sence, you won't turn a dvd player on it's side when playg a disc, most probably the disc will slip and stop playing and prolly get stuck inside the machine...common sence really, i mean if retal sotrs are scared about customers messign up there discs then dont rent them at all....

Strange, my launch 360 hasn't scratched any discs either. Then again, I haven't been daft enough to move the thing about whilst there's a disc spinning at god knows how many rpm inside it !

Indiana Jones said:
There was a link posted to a site that showed that putting pieces of foam padding on the inside of the disc drive actually prevented the discs from being scratched when the console was moved.

Perhaps MS have started using drives which have these pieces of foam.

Yes mate i seen that to would be funny if they have been using foam pads. I think maybe they might of modified the drive slightly so the disc doesnt catch when its moved.

Have any of your guys tried to turn your DVD player on its side when your watching a film?

No.. me neither... ;)

ShadowmanUK said:
Have any of your guys tried to turn your DVD player on its side when your watching a film?

No.. me neither... ;)

No need for the sarcasm. Dont forget the 360 is designed to go vertical and horizontal not just one way. You are probbably in the minority that doesnt think its a problem but let me tell you i had the ring of death on one of my dvd games after knocking my 360 slightly. My mate who knocked my ps2 over with a disc inside and someone else pulled my dremcast of the shelve a few times with a disc in and guess what no ring of death. It goes to show it is a problem and i couldnt care less if people say well we dont turn our 360 console around when there is a game inside do u think i ****!ng do lol because thats the last thing id do. You gotta remeber there is a bunch of reasons why this could happen and not just tilting it from side to side or shacking it. It needs to be sorted and by the looks of it something has been done as mine doesnt do it anymore. I made this post to find out if anyone else noticed this and if you read my post i say "i dont recommend anyone to do this"

If people want to look at this as a thread to slag of the 360 and its manufacturing problems then your wrong. I was just curious to know if anyone else noticed the same thing and i dont expect you all to shake your xbox with a disc in to find out. Jesus some people look at things from the worst possible scenario i was asking a question not making a stab at the 360:confused:

ShadowmanUK said:

No.. me neither... ;)

Totally agree with you its a simple thing when the xbox360 is on do not move it, how hard is that to understand??

meansizzler said:
...do any of you bother checking the disc before you take it, i mean some of them can casue damage to your system i'd never put a rental 360 game into my 360...., i fear for those with £1000+ DVD players who rent from blockbuster...

Hmm, what damage do you think you can do to a DVD player/360 by putting a scratched disc into it?

I can't think of any possible way a scratch on a disc could cause any sort of damage to the drive whatsoever.

I think it is a design fault. Fair enough you shouldnt move the thing when its on but accidents happen, table get knocked, cables get yanked and yes some people may feel like standing the console on its side once in a while. The thing is this was not an issue for any other console. Even my old xbox (due to space being tight i had to play it on its side with no ill effects. My ps1 was on its side and upside down as after 5 years of solid play it developed a disc read fault (never scratched discs mind).

Now i'm not saying M$ are liable as theyve stated not to move the thing so if you scratch your disc while moving it its down to you. But it is a rather poor design error as the console was designed to be flexible (hence upright or verticle positions) it should really have been made a bit more robust. If age old consoles got to make their disk drives scratch free, why couldnt M$?

Before you all come down on me like a ton of bricks, i've never moved my 360or had scratched discs but reading posts like this i actually feel sympathy for those whove had scratched disks (whether their fault or not). Rather than being sanctimonious and unhelpful, its worth actually seeing things from others perpective.

drskhaled said:
Rather than being sanctimonious and unhelpful, its worth actually seeing things from others perpective.

Well said! :clap:

There are a lot of unhelpful people who seem to talk down to people and there is no need for it at all. Rather than taking the p*ss out of someone with useless comments, don't post at all.

With reference to the moving the console issue, this seems to get idiots posting snotty remarks quite often. The oonsole is supposesd to be horizontal or vertical. Also, accidents do happen, as do kids, alcohol and heavy handed people. I would expect it to be more robust than it appears to be - for God's sake, its hardly full of nitroglycerine!

Rant over :oops:

rottyman said:
No need for the sarcasm. Dont forget the 360 is designed to go vertical and horizontal not just one way. You are probbably in the minority that doesnt think its a problem but let me tell you i had the ring of death on one of my dvd games after knocking my 360 slightly. My mate who knocked my ps2 over with a disc inside and someone else pulled my dremcast of the shelve a few times with a disc in and guess what no ring of death. It goes to show it is a problem and i couldnt care less if people say well we dont turn our 360 console around when there is a game inside do u think i ****!ng do lol because thats the last thing id do. You gotta remeber there is a bunch of reasons why this could happen and not just tilting it from side to side or shacking it. It needs to be sorted and by the looks of it something has been done as mine doesnt do it anymore. I made this post to find out if anyone else noticed this and if you read my post i say "i dont recommend anyone to do this"

If people want to look at this as a thread to slag of the 360 and its manufacturing problems then your wrong. I was just curious to know if anyone else noticed the same thing and i dont expect you all to shake your xbox with a disc in to find out. Jesus some people look at things from the worst possible scenario i was asking a question not making a stab at the 360:confused:

Ye i guess i see what you mean, but if you have your 360 sittung horizontally(which i dont anyway), there is no way it would bounce up itself, or if a gust of wind reaches you room maybe, but it is unlikely microsoft put a device in which allows it to jump up to vertical and ruin the discs:thumbsup:

people who think others are stupid for moving a console that can be vertical or horizontal when other disc players can do it without scratching discs are just ignorant fanboy trolls.... move along we dont need your crap here

I still think it's stupid moving the machine with a disc in it. It's asking for trouble:smashin:

lee_c00per said:
I still think it's stupid moving the machine with a disc in it. It's asking for trouble:smashin:
I think its stupid posting that you think its stupid moving the machine with a disk in it...but there you go.

Nobody is saying that it is good to move it, just that if it does get moved BY ACCIDENT then does it still damage the disk. Its a perfectly valid point - heaven forbid yours should get moved!

But thats just stupid.. I mean.. its not designed to be moved whilst the disc is in motion. Its not a skip free MP3 player for the Gym. Its a console with fast moving parts. Its designed to be used Vertical <pause> or Horizontal. Not half way in between, and not to be moved in motion.

If it gets moved and its DVD is in motion and it scratches the disc.. stop the person that's moving it.. dont blame M$ because it cant be used whilst your on a rope swing in the backgarden. :devil:

I know you are saying that if it gets knocked it may get damaged, but when I`m burning a CD / DVD, I KNOW not to knock my PC or the burn will fail.

Why is that different from the 360, I know not to move it when a disk is spinning at however many thousand rpm.

If people are aware that this issue exists, which almost everyone is, then they should also make sure the 360 cant get knocked over or bashed whilst in use? cant they??

daKlone said:
Hmm, what damage do you think you can do to a DVD player/360 by putting a scratched disc into it?

I can't think of any possible way a scratch on a disc could cause any sort of damage to the drive whatsoever.

Actually if a disk is damaged (scratched)it may just get the final "heat n vibes" to split (and scrape your drive) or worse still, explode inside the drive.

Damage sadly is a very real prospect - all be it, a very rare one.

edit: Example I have personaly experienced. A copy of Red Alert Aftermath which was getting on in its years. Scratched but still working, put it into a 40x CD drive and after about an hour of gaming the disk exploded inside the drive .... was a real pain to get out - it was also bloody hot. Now in the x360 example, that could be an audio cd for example.

I dont think it will be long before we hear reports of 360 games exploding in drives, after all games have already started to crack and considering the higher than normal rpm the 360 uses its only a matter of time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom