New 360 Arcade..Hints please ;)

Space Aware

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new Xbox 360 Arcade... I bought it for its excelent HD picture. But also so we can play our old xbox games. Just found out we need a hard drive to do so, (damned the man in Game who forgot to mention this)...

Havent connected to the interweb yet, we're just playing great games like Blazing Angels, Tiger Woods 2009....

Any hints?.. Hook it up to the web and update maybe?..

Or just leave it and enjoy it as it is?...

:hiya:

I have no idea what it is you're actually asking?

Last edited:
will the memory card not suffice to download the patches for old games?

but not for actually playing old xbox 1 games, which I think is the point being gotten at. This does require the harddrive, though the updates for it can be downloaded from xbox.com, but really, you want to be connected to at least live silver if you can be anyway for game updates in general.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need the component cable also, not the composite which you get with the arcade?

You should have got a 60GB premium mate :(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need the component cable also, not the composite which you get with the arcade?

You should have got a 60GB premium mate :(

The only problems I have had is playing over VGA which just doesn't work with some games (there is a list on wikipedia of games which do and don't work)

Have to agree though the price difference at the moment means there is very little point in buying the arcade. If you have JUST bought it you should be able to take it back and exchange it at most shops.

Liek others have said you use a memory card though for at least some old xbox games. The games i've played haven't required much drive space for the update.

I'm using the HDMI, which I would assume will work with every game?. new and old?...

So once I have downloaded the update for an old game and saved the update to the memory card, then I can play the old game?.. Is there anyway of using my pc and its web connection to download the update?. if so, which is the best and easiest way to get that update from my pc to the 360?...

So many questions.. Thanx for the help peeps

I'm using the HDMI, which I would assume will work with every game?. new and old?...

So once I have downloaded the update for an old game and saved the update to the memory card, then I can play the old game?.. Is there anyway of using my pc and its web connection to download the update?. if so, which is the best and easiest way to get that update from my pc to the 360?...

Unfortunately you CANT play original xbox games without a hard drive because you need the hard drive to save the backwards compatibility software and original xbox games are designed to use a section of the hard drive to cache data. If you have only just got the 360 i would take it back and tell them the sales person did not explain you needed a hard drive for original xbox games even though you specifically said this is what you wanted to do. The 60gb pro is the package to go for mate and you should definately have it hooked up to the internet, especially since you get 1 month of GOLD xbox live for upto 3 gamertags.

if u really wanna play xbox games y not just by a cheap console lol

if u really wanna play xbox games y not just by a cheap console lol
You sure do laugh a lot :D Why would you want an ugly black box in your unit when the 360 can do it all? Its just more wasted space, more sockets taken up and generally just pointless

The only problems I have had is playing over VGA which just doesn't work with some games (there is a list on wikipedia of games which do and don't work)

News to me :eek: why on earth wouldn't they work over VGA???

I would do what beasty says. You mentioned to the shop what you wanted to do with it and they advised the wrong 360 package. Get the premium for not much more money and you'll be sorted. You will also need to look at the backward compatibility list on xbox.com to make sure the games you want to play can be played on the 360 :)

Unfortunately you CANT play original xbox games without a hard drive because you need the hard drive to save the backwards compatibility software and original xbox games are designed to use a section of the hard drive to cache data. If you have only just got the 360 i would take it back and tell them the sales person did not explain you needed a hard drive for original xbox games even though you specifically said this is what you wanted to do. The 60gb pro is the package to go for mate and you should definately have it hooked up to the internet, especially since you get 1 month of GOLD xbox live for upto 3 gamertags.

News to me :eek: why on earth wouldn't they work over VGA???
Some original 360 games just dont work with VGA and when they do, some have a problem if they need updating because they go back to the original update software and that wont work with VGA either.

Actually halo 2 will work over vga, but you have to run the live update with composite/component, but this only needs to be done once.

Heres one for you...

So I need a hard drive to hold the updates so I can play xbox games?

Is there not a way of connecting the xbox 360 to my pc and use the pc hard drive to hold the info?

Heres one for you...

So I need a hard drive to hold the updates so I can play xbox games?

Is there not a way of connecting the xbox 360 to my pc and use the pc hard drive to hold the info?

your gonna have to buy the xbox harddrive. its the only way. 20gb drive should be fine.

Thanx for the help... Hard drive it is then:thumbsup:

Argos (at least online) are doing the 20Gb drive for £42. So it depends if you can take the Arcade back and get the premium and front up the diff as I believe the premiums come with a 60Gb drive?

you can pick up a 20gb hard drive for around £20 here in the classifieds just put up a wanted thread in the 360 classifieds shouldn`t have to pay more than around £20 odd quid hope this helps
kop

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom