1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 36" CRT tv or what?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by FCP FAN, May 28, 2003.

1. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks:
    Having just recently awakened from a NIGHTMARE :boring: :mad: :zonked: (i´ve just been refunded for my 36ZD26P - after 6 months of waiting, that is), so now i´m in need for some advice:

Should i go for another 36" set (none out there with PAL PROG) wich means i have to wait for a Panny 36PD30D, or other later yet, and hope its ok) or should i consider something else (36" or above screen an not too much expensive, if possible)?

I have really been disappointed with the Tosh, so i´m really not all too happy in comiting to another crt tv...

But plasmas are still way too expensive (quality ones) and very fragile in some aspects.

Thank you :p

Has anyone seen a Panasonic 36PD30D in action?

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What about a top of the range 44" Sony RPTV for £999? Robert Whyte are selling official Sony graded KP44PS2's at this ridiculous price, complete with full Sony 12mnth warranty. This tv retailed at £2800 when it first came out, but it has been superseded by the cheaper (and in many ways inferior) KP44PX2.

This baby comes with the full Sony DRC-MF digital processing, twin tuners, and offers a fantastic picuture with both DVD and digital transmissions. Another nice feature is the ability to use the internal speakers with the centre channel of an AV amp. Only one RGB scart however, but s-video looks great too.

I got one about a month ago and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. I was initially a little worried about buying a "graded" product, but it came in perfect physical condition and perfect working order. Geometry and convergence were good out of the box, but easily tweakable in the service menus. Other picture improvements can be made here too; such as adjustments to SVM level and theres's a nice MPEG noise reduction system that cleans up grainy freeview/sky pictures. DRC-50 on this set gives a beautifully detailed, vibrant and filmic picture, which to my mind, blows away most other RPTVs and the cheaper plasmas.

If you can't stretch to a quality plasma, this is a great way to get big screen thrills at a knockdown price.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with bobones- I will never buy another direct view set- too many problems that can't be fixed.

Just try and sort out geometry problems with a direct view set- you can't, so you have to live with it. No thanks.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a) graded RP's & b) Sony TV's...I rate Sony QC & reliability at bottom of the pile.. also Sony lacks Component input (which I need)

Considering the high price of 36" direct views, you can be a decent 42" widescreen TV for less money!

4. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your opinions guys!
    But im not really keen on Rptvs because of the viewing angle and stuff.

Nathan_Silly you really are a helpfull guy, you post a lot and allways interesting posts, so 2 thumbs up for you!:smashin: :smashin:

By the way ,i know you have a Toshiba, tweeked to death that is, but for a while i dont even want to hear from that brand (1 century or two would be enough!)

Also component video imput and Pal Prog are a must.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough- not sure what other brands have component though. The "T" brand has supported component for years, wheras Sony & Panasonic only have SCART RGB at best (maybe newer ones have component?) Loewe's Component input is half-assed one at that.