New 340R vs 2nd Hand 540R

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Cafe Racer, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi all, this'll be my first surround sound style purchase, so bear with me.

I have a HTPC that I use for my main viewing, and for viewing DVDs, music etc. I also have an Xbox 360 and My Samsung 40" R87. All three have optical out.

The HTPC is DVI into one of the TV's HDMI connections, the XBOX is into one of the others.

I was looking at a 340R, because of it's combination of style, size, plenty of optical connections and because it has HDMIs.

I'm interested in this because we're all used to using the Media Center remote to change the source on the TV, I was hoping to re-learn the remote to change the source on the 340R, swapping the video and the audio in one go.

However, I've seen a couple of 2nd hand 540R's, preferably V2, but maybe V1 just to get me started. I'm thinking I could go for a learning remote that will change the source on the TV AND the 540R at the same time.

Question is, what would you do?

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I wouldn't bother with the V1 as it has limitations with it's video capabilities for example, it doesn't have sufficient bandwidth to pass HD via component from your Xbox 360. That wouldn't matter if you connect the video sources direct to the TV though. The V2 can be bought new from Richer Sounds for £150 with a voucher (do a search on here) in store. At that price it's a steal. The V2 has plenty of power and is meant to be excellent for music. Are there any 340R owners on here to comment? I know it has HDMI switching, 5.1 and less power but I'm not sure what the other significant differences are.

3. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Cheers Dave.

I've found a Gyration Remote for Media Center that can control other devices at £70. Not sure if it will do one press to turn the TV AND the Receiver over though, but it is like a Wii remote in that you wave it around in the air and it moves the pointer - not a necessatiy, but cool :D

I can't find the voucher code, but £150+£70 = £220 (or £270 without the voucher) and the 340R is £270, so it's a kind of no brainer, unless I can find a 540R cheaper 2nd hand (which is unlikely, I think).

The only other thing that's occured to me is that I have the picture set up differently on the TV for the different sources, so I might end up not going via the receiver anyway... decisions, decisions.

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    It's not a voucher code, it's simply an electronic doc with the sale prices on and you take it in store. A few of the recent 540R V2 threads had links to it.

5. mredvers

mredvers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    according to this the offer only ran until 3rd january.

http://embgfx.co.uk/broadcasts/exter...0b/hosted.html

i have the latest sales email from them and its not listed.

dont think you can get this for £150 anymore:(

i would be happy to be proven wrong though because i wouldnt mind one either for that price.