1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 32" w/s needed - final comment needed

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tonytol, Sep 19, 2004.

1. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My 10 year old Ferguson 25" fst is beyond repair. I have been looking at 32" widescreens, but:
    - most shops have them badly set up - even £2000+ plasmas show a rubbish picture! - hard to compare sets
    - build quality seems much lower than it used to be - i am put off buying Sony's for instance. - Don't want to pay for a very expensive unit if it only lasts a few years.
    - not sure about buying something so expensive and hard to return from an online vendor (any ones particularly good though?)
    - John Lewis have only a small range and are pricey even after a pricematch (although 5 year guarantee is worthy). Have tried to get John Lewis to pricematch, but stores I have tried (eg TV&Video Direct), they say that the store didn't have fixed prices.

So, I have decided that instead of buying a top range telly, I will buy an 'interim' mid-price one and hope that flat screens & projectors will drop a lot in price in a few years :)

My choice so far is :- Thomson 32WH403S (ok reviews) from Comet = £599 + delivery (+'free' DVD player + £30 JDSports clothing voucher?) -Delivery at named times too, saving a day off work and can deliver in a few days. Not sure about extended warranties though, I don't normally bother with them, (£150 to £200!). Picked this as it seemed to be the best picture and build quality at that price range, having looked at a lot of models in different stores. Other choice would be a Philips 32PW6518 at a similar price, but only 50mhz, and at each store I saw it, the picture quality was poorer than the Thomson.

Any other advice/comment would be useful. I am making the final decision tomorrow and would ideally like a telly soon - I am having withdrawal symptoms and the DVD's are backing up (9 disk alien quad to watch & 2 series of Alias!

More info if it's of use:-
    Want 100mhz as I am sensitive to flicker.
    Watch mostly DVD's, don't have Sky, have Freeview with good quality signal.
    Sound for DVD's is via DVD player, amp and speaker system

2. collingmr

collingmr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh heh. I've just bought a Phlips 32PW9509 and have had a shed load of stuff queueing up.. we're now getting into Alias Series 3, but have been ploughing through the first 2 series since January! :) All I'll say is that I've really enjoyed it... no spoilers here!!

3. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    32PW9509 was the telly I tried to get a John Lewis pricematch on! Couldn't afford it at full price, and to be honest, even at £800ish it was above my budget , but if I could get it at that price WITH a 5yr warranty, I'd probably be happy :)

4. Adcote

Adcote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL recently (two weeks ago) pricematched me a Philips 32PW9509 with stand at £779 (inc. free 5-year warranty) The pricematch was with TV & Video Direct of Bolton.
    I was extremely impressed with JL. The original pricematch was a £797, but when TV & Video Direct dropped their price a bit, JL *told me* and reduced their price accordingly!

If you have any problems I suggest writing or faxing the 'Undersales Dept' at your nearest JL. Include the model details and TV & Video Direct's postal address and phone number. They pricematch TV & V D because its a 'high street' store and not Internet-only.

5. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Microstar - that's who I pricematched against - same telly, same retailer, Jl branch was Cheadle !

"In relation to T V and Video Direct Limited in Bolton, we do not match with
    them because we can not confirm shop prices. The reason for this is that they do not display prices and negotiate a prices with customers. All John Lewis prices are displayed, and Televisions have a 5 year guarantee"

Maybe I should try a different JL (Liverpool)?

6. chrisw112

chrisw112
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am waiting on a decision from JL for a pricematch on a Philips 32PW9509 with TV and Video Direct. In the meantime - also considering Panasonic TX32PD30 but the only retailer similar to TV&Video who stock the Panny won't have any in for 4 weeks.

If JL give me the nod on the 9509 - might ditch the Panny idea.

7. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if it works, I will try them again - which branch?

8. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,122
    Makro have an offer on a 32" widescreen this week for £199 + vat.The make is an akura haven't heard that name before but the set looked fine.They had it on demo playing a dvd and the picture looked nearly as good as my 32" sony vega.I was nearly tempted to get one myself for my conservatory.

9. Adcote

Adcote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dealt with JL in Nottingham. They had no problem in getting prices from TV & Video Direct (they did so by telephone) and then matching it. They were very polite and helpful in my dealings with them and sent me a letter 'thanking me' for letting them know about the lower price and promising to match it.
    IFAIK TV & Video Direct *do* have a physical shop and *do* display prices. If you ring them, they quote a price - they do not 'negotiate'.

I would try another JL and maybe write to the 'Undersales Dept.'; give full details of TV & Video Direct (i.e. mail address and telephone number - don't mention their web site) and the price you were quoted over the 'phone (which is currrently about £778 I believe).

The 5-year warranty is 'free' and therefore does not enter into the price calculation.

There is quite a lot at stake here, so don't give up!

10. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Microstar, thats pretty much what I did though :( A assume that if I try another JL I have to physically go into the store to place the order? Best not try one too far away if so. I'm going to contact the Liverpool JL and see if I get a different response.
    btw, how is the telly?

Edit:- Have contacted JL Cheadle again. If no joy I will try Liverpool and Sheffield.

11. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me know how you get on, tried the same with a local retailer today (28" sony) with no luck, they were £150 more expensive than EmpireDirect, will try JL later in the week with prices from AJ Electronics, they have a shop in London - so hoping JL will match...

12. Adcote

Adcote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am quite a way from JL Nottingham and so I did not go to the store - in fact I have never been to that store. I did it all over the 'phone and paid by credit card. They couldn't have been more helpful.

I am highly delighted with the Philips 9509 - it is everything I hoped it would be. It replaced a 3-year-old Thomson 28" widescreen which was not that good a TV, to be honest.
    The picture on the 9509 is superb - difficult to imagine it could get much better. Its a *heavy* set though, so be sure you have help on hand when you put it on the stand or try to move it!

13. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL have left a message on my answering machine today saying they will be 'investigating' bout can't get back to me until Thursday - will they actually visit the shop?

14. chrisw112

chrisw112
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am dealing with JL at Peterbro and still waiting for a response.

15. Adcote

Adcote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, they just ring up.

16. chrisw112

chrisw112
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received a letter from JL this morning- and they won't price match. They said the price at TV&Video Direct was £930 and no stock in for 3-4 weeks. That seems odd because TV&Video confirmed that their website/shop prices were the same price.

Think I will need a rethink, and maybe try JL Nottingham.

17. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris, I expect I'll get the same reply then.

Need a rethink too - £930+ is too much over my budget (actually £800ish was too) :(
    I may have to buy a different telly from another store and forego the 5 year gtee.

18. Adcote

Adcote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given my experience with JL this is very strange.

I dealt with JL in Nottingham. Pricematch was done by a 'Mrs Baker' in the Undersales Dept. and the actual sale (by credit card over the 'phone) was with a guy called 'John' in the JL Call Centre in Nottingham.

If you live more than about 30 miles from Nottingham then they will probably charge for delivery - but if you really want one of these sets + 5-year warranty (which I recon must be 'worth' at least £150 on a set like the 9509) then it might be worth contacting them and going to collect the set yourself.

19. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Microstar, maybe TV&Video Direct has changed their policies since you pricematched, or Cheadle is more strict on checking things? As you say, the 5yr gtee is at least £150 value).

I've found another 'proper' store to try a pricematch for, but haven't phoned yet to check the price instore is same as shown online http://www.electricalscentre.com/acatalog/32_PIXEL_PLUS_2_TV.html (£798.99, free delivery) The company is 'Electricals Centre' in Wolverhampton.

update: off to tesco to pick up a cheap (<£50) portable - I haven't had a telly for weeks!

20. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what I got back from JL about TV and Video Direct Bolton - they phoned me and I asked for an email reply (edited some of it out)

Unfortunately we have not price matched with this company for over 12 months as when prices were checked they would negotiate a price.
    we match the price at which the competitor sells the item to customers generally, not a negotiated or special price for individuals.
    We did however contact the shop because of the concerns that you put in your email and were given 2 separate prices on 2 occasions"

Looks like I'm buying away from JL then :( Can anyone recommend a competant online seller or is it back to Comet?

21. Adcote

Adcote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, well, I guess each JL store must operate its own policies. My pricematch was only two weeks ago.

I don't understand the bit about 'negotiating prices' - when I phoned TV & Video Direct they quoted me a price which was exactly the same as listed on their website. This was also the price quoted to my JL store since JL mentioned it in their letter to me.

You can't really argue with them though, can you?

If you want to buy one online then why not try TV & Video Direct?

22. brummybloke

brummybloke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    why not get a sony then? if you have £600 to play with try this link, sorry about the length ( ooooeeerrr missus)

http://www.letsbuyit.com/lbisite/jsp/product/category_prod.jsp;jsessionid=BTpwHCBfNo1zUCXrqazWdotACZEBxFAm6O2CoO31zVJLThVyFApN!-518011487!-644186010!80!443?ShowSubCat=Y&SubCatClick=Y&ProductCobuyID=76250&CategoryID=70&SubCategoryID=73&countryID=4&ProductType=2

23. brummybloke

brummybloke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    or this jvc

http://www.letsbuyit.com/lbisite/jsp/product/category_prod.jsp;jsessionid=BTpwHCBfNo1zUCXrqazWdotACZEBxFAm6O2CoO31zVJLThVyFApN!-518011487!-644186010!80!443?ShowSubCat=Y&SubCatClick=Y&ProductCobuyID=70337&CategoryID=70&SubCategoryID=73&countryID=4&si=AV32X4S-t.jpg&mi=AV32X4S-m.jpg&rp=799.99&bp=639.99&prodtype=2

24. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was thinking of buying one online, but I am concerned about quality of delivery and also the after-sales if something goes wrong.

25. brummybloke

brummybloke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i got mine from there ( 32fx68) for £530 although i got mine from the delievery warehouse as it is in birmingham.
    if you buy it with your credit card then it should also be insured ( items over 100 quid with most ccards).

26. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying a few different JL stores on Monday. Cheadle and Sheffield wouldn't play ball and still awaiting a reply from Liverpool.

27. tonytol

tonytol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0