1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 32" TV! Which one????

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Uzey, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I require a new 32" widescreen TV with component/progressive inputs. The Panny PD30 looks nice but that Thomson .........!
    Can anyone help?:confused:

2. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    hi im happy with my jvc32"p37sje d.i.s.t tv has component input for pal/ntsc progressive scan dvdplayers 3 scarts 2 rgb and is hdtv compatible for the future.why not have a look or hang on a bit until the new models come out this month see homecinemachoice hardware news for a picture of the new models very smart.

3. Stevey

Stevey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    32" doesn't need HDTV

4. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    why not

5. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmmmm. Don't think I'd buy a JVC TV. For a start, their DIST system is apparently in it's infancy and is much less advanced than pixel-plus/acuity/hi-pix.

6. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What? :confused:

7. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So a 17" computer monitor doesn't need more than 640x480?

8. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    jvc d.i.s.t system is not in its infancy far from it there upto third generation models now while acuity and hi-pix are still on its first generation models.

9. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sounds like you've not actually seen DIST in action. As someone who's had the HV32P37, I can say that DIST & Super-Digipure produce an outstanding picture when you take the time to set the TV up (as you have to do with all TV's to get the best picture).

10. Stevey

Stevey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    32" screens won't see as much benefit. On border 36" CRT but 42" + RPTV would see an improvement

11. cybamerc

cybamerc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stevey:

> 32" screens won't see as much benefit.

Nonsense. That said there isn't much point in buying a HDTV untill there's actual HDTV material available. If you buy an HDTV today (especially one as limited as the HV32P37 which only supports 1080i and lacks digital inputs) there's no guarantee that it will work with upcoming HD sources (HD-DVD/BRD and consoles in particular).

When buying a regular tv today (expensive flat panels and rear projectors are a different matter) forget all about future proof features. Just buy whatever suits your needs right now.

BTW, the HV32P37 is an awfull looking set IMO (because of the white and silver color styling). The Panasonic TX-32PD30 and TX-32PX20 are much nicer. As is the Thomson 32WB842S (and 642S I would think).

12. cybamerc

cybamerc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    peahead:

> hang on a bit until the new models come out this month see
    > homecinemachoice hardware news for a picture of the new
    > models very smart.

Any pictures online? I would probably have gotten the HV32P37 if it wasn't so damn ugly.

13. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Of course the reason they keep re-working it and redesigning the circuitry at such a rapid pace is because its poor compared to Philips Pixelplus and Panasonic's Acuity. Why Panasonic (who own JVC) don't license Acuity to them I don't know. At the moment D.I.S.T. is seen as the weakest and poorest of all the enhanced resolution features used by various manufacturers. I realise JVC are fighting hard to change this but they aren't there yet.

14. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic?? Own JVC??? Are you sure about this?
    Of course, it would be the mighty Matsu****a (Panny's parent company) who would actually 'own' them but how come I've never heard about this?
    When did it happen?

15. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Matsu****a trade as Panasonic and JVC is a subsidary. It must be at least 20 years this has been the situation as I heard this information back in the early 80s.

I had this thought that perhaps they have now sold on the company but a quick check at matsu****a confirms they still own them.

Here a link to a pdf file that lists current Matsu****a sales performance;

http://matsu****a.co.jp/corp/news/official.data/data.dir/en040206-5/en040206-5-10.pdf

JVCs earnings to Matsu****a are about 4th or 5th down.

You will have to put back in the swear word in the url to get it to work.

16. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    YOu don't need digital inputs for HDTV. Any HDTV hardware formats in the next few years will support component as a minimum - they already do in the US since the digital connection standards are extremely new.

While the colouring of the HVxxP37's wasn't my first choice, at the end of the day how the set looks physically comes a distant second to how good the picture is.

17. cybamerc

cybamerc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cerebros:

> YOu don't need digital inputs for HDTV.

Too soon to tell. BRD/HD-DVD players and next gen consoles may very well only support HD resolutions via digital outputs. The same thing may apply to HD tuners.

> they already do in the US since the digital connection standards
    > are extremely new.

You can't use American products as a guideline in this case, nor Japanese for that matter. Current HD products (TVs and BRD players) are based on unfinished standards. The final specs may demand digital out.

> at the end of the day how the set looks physically comes a
    > distant second to how good the picture is.

I disagree with that. A tv is more than just a monitor, it is a piece of furniture that is often given a dominant position in the home. Aesthetics are important, to me at least.

18. artgar

artgar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new JVC looks much better IMHO.
    Do a search in the news section for "32D40" http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/index.html
    I think it's on for around 900 quid at unbeatable. It's not been properly reviewed yet though as it's only out this month.

Edit: here's the direct link http://www.homecinemachoice.com/new...emachoice.com/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=5595

19. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't Panasonic the parent company of Technics

Technics produces HIFI seperates.

20. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Matsu****a are the manufacturer and they trade as National (or used to), Panasonic, Technics and possibly other brands. They are the parent company of JVC.

21. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Never thought I would buy a TV without reading a single review or seeing it in action but I ordered the JVC 32D40. Photo looks good, is IDTV, latest DIST, 3 scarts and component to 1080i, cheapish - it seems to have it all.

I liked and briefly owned Panasonic 32PD30 but I didnt want an analogue tuner that I never want to use - no comparison to set top box picture (and other pd30 problems). I found component input flickery and not being able to change aspect ratios while using it a flaw - only anamorphic dvds.

Probably the JVC will have all the same problems but at least its £200 cheaper! The choice of idtvs is so limited. I cant understand why there is so much demand for them, its not like freeview came out last week.

Unbeatable's returns policy seems fair but fingers crossed I wont need to use it.

22. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Digiman, can you let me know how you get on with this TV please? It is on my short list too and like they styling alot!

Thanks mate

23. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    No problem scrapbook. About two weeks for delivery I'm told.

24. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Thanks mate, looking forward to it already! Perfect timing as well, just before my birthday...so I am treating myself this year to a new TV!!

Just out of interest where have you ordered it from?

25. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shucks! I've ordered my PD30 but that JVC is looking good! If only there was a review on it somewhere!

26. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Scrapbook, Unbeatable. I found only 3 websites showing it. (pantheronline and internettvsdirect - Pantheronline need you to return the TV unopened for a full refund!)

Unbeatable are keeping me updated and are hoping to get it to me this month. Unfortunately I dont have an HD feed but I will certainly let you know what I think of the rest. I have my eye on the Iscan HD to feed it 1080i but I thought I would wait until I am happy with the basics. I wish JVC could put a bit more info on their site like NTSC progressive or dimensions. I think it has an analogue tuner as well which works with PAP but it isnt clear. Oh well I'll just have to wait and see.

27. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You'd be wasting your money with an Iscan - JVC's DIST technology already scales the input sources (PAL to 900i, NTSC to 1125i), and i really doubt you'd get a worthwhile improvement in image for what an Iscan costs. You'd get better picture quality by spending the money on better sources IMO.

28. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Good point cerebros, thanks. From what I've read JVC's scaling technology is not the best out there but this TV is meant to be the latest generation so you may be right. I would expect the Iscan HD at £999 to scale external sources better than the TV but whether its worth the extra outlay, as you say, is another matter. A review of JVC's HV-32P37SJE at www.whatvideotv.com says that fed an HD signal "it has no equal". This suggests that the previous generation DIST was a weak link but hopefully the boys at JVC have pulled out all the stops on this one. The Iscan is probably the closest we are going to get to HD in the near future and it can feed my old sony projector too.

29. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I had no complaints in this regard when I had a HV-32P37. I think a lot of people still latch on to the deficiences of the first generation of DIST and assume it applies to the 2nd generation as found on the HV-xxP37/P38's. It doesn't. Feed it a good source signal and the image is superb.

Well don't forget, you're not feeding some monster projector or RPTV (or plasma/LCD for that matter). It's a 32" (29" visible) widescreen, and for that size I don't think the Iscan is going to be noticeably superior. If you were feeding a much larger screen you probably would see an improvement, but for an extra £1k, you could pick up a decent new DVD player & import an D-VHS D-Theatre deck or get aEuro1080 compatible sat receiver (if you've already got a suitable dish)

Well you'll get closer by getting a satelite rig capable of receiving Euro1080, since that broadcasts in 1080i. All JVC's DIST and an Iscan do is scale the picture up (JVC's sets go further with the Super Digipure function attempting, pretty successfully in my experience, to create extra definition detail). A true 1080i broadcast should (excluding v.low bandwidth) be streets ahead.

30. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    What resolution is the JVC set actually capable of displaying, if it's given an HD feed? Can it really cope with 1280x720? 1920x1080? If not, then it's still downscaling an HD signal, even if it's by not as much as other sets. (Mind you, if it CAN run at that resolution, that's damned impressive).