1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new 2805 & speaker problems....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Rod_Bod, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Rod_Bod

Rod_Bod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello

I'm unsure whether this is the ideal forum to post this in so apologies if so... but I really need help.

I received my 2805 today, my first ever AV Receiver, though in terms of experience I am wholly ignorant I have been researching my purchase for months and familiarised myself with as much terminology and procedures with faults etc. as possible up till now, so I really wouldn't be writing if it wasn't necessary.

My problem is simply that not only can I get no sound from the speakers but the amp cannot even detect any on the Auto Setup ("No mic/speakers ERROR"). Though you will find this pitifully amusing, the only speakers I am trying to drive it with at this moment are a pair of very large Sony bookshelfs which came with a Stereo System bought by my parents in 1978 (!!!). Though this seems absurd it was simply for the sake of initially testing the amp before putting it into storage while I return to college, and then buy myself a set of Quad 12L's when I am back for Xmas (and relegating the Sony's to surrounds just for the very short-term)

Anyway, what is troubling me is that I cannot understand why the speakers are not working (or even being detected), as they do work fine with the old stereo system and are infact the ideal impedance for the 2805 (8 Ohm). In addition their Capacity (could this be the problem?) is 40w DIN Nominal and 60w DIN Music. Also I must say that their cables (fitted to the back speaker units, not removable) are terminated with a small plug with 2 pins for + & - respectively, which I haphazardly converted to normal cable (old Mains cable) with insulation tape (yeah I know, hilarious.... but it works when connected to the old unit).

I wouldn't be as paranoid about the Receiver not working with such antiquated equipment... but the box has a hefty dent in the top, and the finish on a few of the vents on top of the unit look worn (?). There are no actual marks or scratches on the unit beyond handling smudges etc. which is to be expected, but I'm wondering whether it is brand-new as stated (was bought from PRC Direct).

I browsed almost the entire manual before I even took it out of the box, and though this kind of equipment is totally new to me and thus I could be missing something obvious, I can't see anything from what's in the manual.

I know it's common sense that these two components aren't really meant to be used together, but if I could just here some SOUND at the very least from the speakers it would put my mind at rest as to the amp being damaged.

Many thanks in advance & apologies for such a long post.

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The 2805 has A and B speaker settings. Have you selected the right ones?

3. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi there rod-bod,

As cable monkey has said there are 2 sets of front speaker terminals (A+B),
    make sure the speakers are connected to the speakers A connections at the back of the amp as the auto set-up does not output a test tone signal to speakers B.
    I had the same problem when I bi-wired my front speakers, (wired the bass to A and tweeters to B, and it cocked up the auto set-up for me).
    As an aside, I personally think running the auto set-up, if you are only running 1 pair of speakers may well be a waste as you will still get an error message as there are no surround speakers connected.

Check where the speakers are connected, and correct them if nessasary first, if they are already in speakers A, press the speakers A+B button to check that there is an output before getting in touch with PRC saying you have a faulty unit.
    Also if the amp LOOKS used, and you bought it as brand new I would get in touch with PRC anyway and find out what the crack is, as a brand new unit (like my 2805 was) IMHO, should'nt have "handling" marks, smudges and worn vents on it. If they confirm it is a used or demo unit, I would demand they send a confirmed NEW unit to you and arrange for the carrier to collect yours at the same time (just be sure to check the contents of the replacement BEFORE the carrier leaves).

Wish you all the best,

Graham.

4. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    One small problem with bi-amping using A and B is that is is the same amplifier stage not two discrete amps so nothing gained.
    If you were bi-wiring it would be from terminals A on the amp with a lead that splits into two then into the two terminals on the speakers.

5. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi there,
    The only reason I initially biwired using the A+B connectors was pure laziness on my part. This was the way I had my previous receiver (DENON AVR 2802) wired as I have four runs of ecosse CS2.3 speaker cable with banana plugs fitted, and the plugs were not big enough to fit two lots of cable into the one plug at the amp end, so i had to buy some banana plugs with a wider hole to accept the twinned cables.
    I dont wish to sound condecending, but I do know that the two speaker connections share the same amp output, and are used to switch between two different sets of stereo speakers (one pair maybe in another room for instance), I just was too tired/lazy/excited etc with my shiny new amp to do the job as it should be done.... :D ....
    Any how, any luck with your amp yet Rod_Bod ?? any sound coming out of it yet ?? keep us updated.

Graham.