1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 26 inch LCD TV - What to buy?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by leajohnston, May 17, 2005.

1. leajohnston

leajohnston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a high spec 26/28 inch LCD tv, but finding it very difficult to get a good idea of what has a great picture. It'll be used for tv watching (freeview) and more than a few DVD's

I have a surround sound system, a DVD player with comp out, progressive scan and RGB Scarts. So looking for a tv with very good connections. Tight on space, hence the 26 inch, but still looking for the best I can get. Price not a problem - within reason.

A little worried about future proofing (HD), but I'm not sure if this will be a problem, as I'll probably want to change the TV by the time HD is widely available.

Any suggestions would be great (new models) or just say which is best out of:

JVC LT-26C31
    Panasonic TX26LXD500
    Philips 26PF9946/12 (but it looks like a Kids TV)
    Sharp LC26GA3E
    Sony KLV-26HG2
    Toshiba 26WL46B

Appreciate the help.

2. SimonS

SimonS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also add the Loewe Xelos A26 to that list

3. leajohnston

leajohnston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Simon :smashin:

I hadn't seen any reviews for this, so unsure of how good it is. Anyone seen it up close?

4. SimonS

SimonS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one myself, and couldn't be happier....but thats just my opinion. I viewed it at John Lewis in comparison with a few others, the Panasonic included, and it was superior in terms of PQ. I have yet to see any reviews, but I have seen several other positive comments on this forum

5. tals

tals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got Sony KLV-26HG2 last week from Pixmania for just under £1000 - very impressed with it all in all. As far as I can tell its main disadvantage is no VGA connection to plug into a PC - as I never intend it to be connected to the PC this is not an issue.

Although I wouldn't be quite as fawning as all the reviews were on the machin eits certainly a good buy.

One concern I had was the size of a 26' but having now measured them :) A 26' wide lcd is slightly larger in screen size than a glass 28' and again slightly higher than the 4:3 21' TV (which we had previously). I can't imagine what having something like a 32' would be like.

HD aspect is not clear - it implies it has the ability to handle this but the reviews say it doesn't - its a while off anyway so i'll sit happy for the moment.

My connections are:

Sky to TV Scart
    Sky to DVD/Record Scart
    DVD Record to TV Component
    TV Audio out (it also has optical out) to Stereo surround sound.

Tals

6. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're comparing a JVC model almost two generations old against much newer sets on other brands. The LT26C31 was the first JVC 26", replaced by the LT26D50/LT26C50 (Digital/Analogue) and soon the LT26DS6. The LT26D50 is a very good all round TV but the LT26DS6 should be worth waiting for. 7ms response rate is excellent, having a fast reaction to movement is the thing that puts down most LCD's.

I can't comment much on the Loewe, stopped the brand instore because the CRT's were nothing special (the inbuilt manual was good). Haven't yet recieved the TX26LXD500, but the TX26LXD50 arrived today. It's about the same as the older TX26LXD1, there appears to be a slightly sharper picture. The TX26LXD500's the true version and the SD card recording sounds interesting.

Again I can't comment on the Philips too much, only seen the slightly older LCD's or the newer ones not set up correctly. The Sharp LCD's have excellent connectivity, but the picture quality has never impressed me. There's just a lack of clarity. The colour and brightness is still good though, they can certainly manage a vibrant picture.

Toshiba again, weak first generation means I haven't seen the later stuff.

7. leajohnston

leajohnston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, great notes. :smashin:

The list I had was just from magazines I'd been looking at that had 26 inch LCD's with good ratings, so some will be much older.
    Contact - I think you are definitely right about the JVC's - (Just looked at their website) and waiting for the LT26DS6, plus the pany LXD500 sounds good.

Tals- the sony has always had good reviews in magazines and still does, only 2 things worry me. That it was brought out a while ago (although this means its a good price now) and it has no HD connections, which is hardly surprising as that was not a priority back then.

Think I may have to hold on for a while and check out the new ones first.

Cheers

8. mdroberts007

mdroberts007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I want to get a 26" sharp LC26GA3 - but no money at the moment until i sell the 32" titanium model which i have brand new and boxed with guarantee

If you read this in time there is TV on ebay you might want to have a look at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32863&item=5774523952&rd=1

If anyone also is interested in a TOP of the RANGE 32" Titanium Sharp LCD for £1500 - and this is genuinely a bargain. see review

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5741

Then email me at mdroberts007@hotmail.com

AVForum Advert :
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213401

Cheers

Michael

9. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My advice would be dont bother wasting your money on a branded LCD tv at present.
    Prices are expected to fall quite dramatically by the end of the year/early next year. In fact the best time to buy would be late next year when a new generation of panels are in the shops.
    For now stick with something like the Sonix 26" from Sainsburys (hard to find) or the exact equivalent the Video 7 from ebuyer/Simply computers etc etc...Will cost you less than £600 and will do everything you want and more.
    When the better screens arrive you can transfer this one to a bedroom.
    Do yourself a big favour and save your money, you wont regret it ;)

10. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're going to hold off for a good while buying any LCD in the mean time would be a mistake. A poor quality LCD's far worse to watch than a poor quality CRT. I'm guessing Lea has a working set right now, so I'd stick with that until you're ready to part with your cash.

Prices are already slipping and near the end of each range there's always a sudden drop. The Panasonic TX32LXD1 had about £1100 off its original price in some places (which didn't make them many friends with independant stores admittedly!).

Once I see the TX26LXD500 I'll let you know my thoughts Lea.

11. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Actually the LCD tv I mentioned is of a very high quality assuming he has a high quality source that is to show the PQ off to its full potential. You obviously havent tested this set or you'd know more about it. The only negatives I have heard about this LCD have been from owners of faulty sets or when using budget source hardware.
    If he has something to use for now then fine wait till late next year. I only wanted to point out that there arew sets that arent made by the Pana/Sony/Tosh/Sharp/Loewe fraternity that are as good and if not better at a fraction of the price out there. Whether that remains true when prices drop and new models come onto the scene next year remains to be seen but certainly at the moment the BIG BOYS must be losing a fair bit of business to unknown brands...my heart bleeds! NOT!!! If you dont believe me try to get the VIdeo7 home for a test and use a good dvd player/PC through its DVI and you wont be disappointed.

12. leajohnston

leajohnston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I have a TV at the moment, which does the job. I have bought a number of cheap TV's in the past (although they did the job) I don't want to spend the money on another, no matter how cheap.

Thanks Contact - Would love to hear your thoughts on the TX26LXD500 when you do see it. Esp about the recording to the SD card (how much space it take etc) and the quality of picture from DVD and Ariel, in comparison to the Sharp(LC26GA3) and JVC(LT26DS6).

Think after all this I'm just going to have to find a shop with them all and go book a viewing.

Thanks.

13. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't doubt it. And I don't think any of the brands in that 'fraternity' are without faults (I wouldn't actually go out my way to recommend any of those brands for LCD). I've seen the TV but I haven't tested it out myself with high end equipment, I don't doubt it would be better if set up to its full potential (it would have to be pretty bad not to look good on a PC input though, but a good DVD would be more interesting). My point is still that I wouldn't put down £600 as a replacement set for a year if I had an adequate working set. Then again I think that's a personal choice.

Not sure what the market share thing was about, I was just saying there are some good deals about now. The market will always slip in areas without crashing as an entire whole.

In any case I dislike putting down sets that someone has already brought or has a strong attachment to, so apologies if that came off offensively. I'm probably jaded by the stream of devastatingly awful budget LCD's that stream out (though in fairness most are becoming fairly watchable now).

Lea I can't remember the figure I was quoted but the compression's supposed to be very good and realistic for a main recording device (this relating to the TX26LXD500). The Panasonic's have always handled Freeview quite well, which is good considering most LCD's never shine unless you get a higher quality source onto them. I'll be almost more interested to see if it can generate a really high quality DVD picture, the previous incarnations have never stunned me there.

It might be a while till I see the LC26GA3, the LC26GA2 hasn't stood up so well as competitors here and until the last model's gone, the new one won't arrive.

I get along very well with JVC, so I'll definitely put the DS6 through its paces. The LT26C31 to LT26D50 jump wasn't terribly notable, but the DS6 has got enough going for it to get me optimistic again :D

14. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    That's because they are very nice people ;)

15. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Would also be interested in your views on the new Samsung range when they arrive. Seems to be a tie up with Sony in manufacture of the panels, so quality should be good at a significantly lower price than the equivalent Sony....