1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 24 DVD's

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by TheBigApple, Dec 21, 2002.

1. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can anyone tell me if the boxed sets of 24 that are in the shops now contain the new uncut discs?

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Monkey,

Nope, they don't. They will still contain the original versions of discs 5 and 6.

As such, when you buy the set, you will need to contact 20th Century Fox, and find out what to do to swap your "faulty" discs for new ones.

Pooch

3. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Bummer:(

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Play are selling the re-released uncut versions.

5. tjmckeown

tjmckeown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea how to tell which one you have? I bought it from Play a while ago, just after they were out of stock for about a month, so I assume I have the uncut version?

Anyone know exactly what was cut from the original???

6. MIKE HAMMER

MIKE HAMMER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just what was cut from the original release on disc 5 and 6 of 24?Was it language or visual? I hate movies that are censored.

Mike

7. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    It wasn't a case of censorship here: as I recall, the UK broadcast version of 24 was slightly longer in a couple of episodes (due to BBC2 not having any adverts to take up extra time) than the US one. Fox mastered the DVDs from the US-aired version, and so people who had seen the TV version said "eh? where's this bit gone?". I think that the VHS version was actually uncut in this respect.

On another note: I've just been given the R1 version of 24. Can anyone inform me whether or not this one has the cuts, has been reissued, or was fully released in the first place?

8. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've read from several sources that the R1 version is the same as the U.S. broadcast version.

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Yep, the R1 release actually contains the shorter US broadcast versions, whereas the R2 version contains the slightly longer broadcast editions!

The difference is only about 30-60 seconds, but it's still a difference! In this instance, the R2 version is the one to go for!

Pooch

10. BLS

BLS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The last 5 episodes of 24 are all around 90 seconds longer in the UK versions than the US. (Durations around 42:20 not 40:50)

This was not done to remove adult content but to make space for more adverts in the US. Hence the footage deleted is presumably what the producers deemed less important.

However, there is at least one important scene which is not present in the US version! (if someone tells me how you do spoilers on here I can let you know)

I have both the original r2 and replacement disks 5 & 6 and you can tell the difference by looking at the code on the disk:

There is a short code number ending in .5 for disk 5 or .6 for disk 6 (from memory it's something like F20248.5) and the replacement versions end in V2.5 & V2.6 e.g. F20248V2.5

Maybe someone who has bought a box with the newer versions in it can tell us whether the code on the outside of the box reflects this?

I hope this is of some use to people