New (2022) Freesat STB doesn't seem to provide digital 2.1 output?

Mel_P

Standard Member
I have just bought a new Freesat branded STB. The tuner on my Panasonic DVD Recorder has failed so needed new Freesat device. I have wired up the optical connection to by Marantz av amp. This is a 5.1 set up. With DVDs u get full surround sound and with iPlayer I generally get 2.1 sound. With Freesat programmes I sometimes get 2.1 sound but very often only stereo. The same programmes on iplayer generally give 2.1 and sometimes 5.1.

Is this a general shortfall of Freesat - poor sound?

My Panasonic Freesat DVD recorder seemed to provide 2.1??

Mel

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
No freesat services are broadcast i.e transmitted as DD 2.1

They use DD 2.0 on the HD services with the occasional programmes in DD 5.1 surround.

All SD programmes a PCM stereo (MPEG 2 coded).

As far as I know ZERO programmes on iPlayer are in 5.1 surround, and they don't use DD 2.1 either. Not even on the UHD trials. Just vanilla stereo.

You'll need to tweak your receiver to redirect stereo low frequencies to a subwoofer if that's what you want. As you did for the Panny and iPlayer it appears.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Dolby digital 2.0 = L + R stereo
DD 2.1 = L + R + LFE (low frequency effects - divert to subwoofer.
The .1 = LFE.

ANY 2.0 output to Centre, Surround L/R etc. will be by the amp "upscaling" to those missing channels.
(Dolby Surround one of the most common).

I-Player will be stereo 2.0 at most as that's how ALL BBC programmes are played out and downmixed on iPlayer.
(BBC have tried some 5.1 stuff in the past but had issues with user devices that have yet to be resolved. AIUI.)

Mel_P

Standard Member
Dolby digital 2.0 = L + R stereo
DD 2.1 = L + R + LFE (low frequency effects - divert to subwoofer.
The .1 = LFE.

ANY 2.0 output to Centre, Surround L/R etc. will be by the amp "upscaling" to those missing channels.
(Dolby Surround one of the most common).

I-Player will be stereo 2.0 at most as that's how ALL BBC programmes are played out and downmixed on iPlayer.
(BBC have tried some 5.1 stuff in the past but had issues with user devices that have yet to be resolved. AIUI.)
Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom