New 2015 HDCP 2.2 Compatable AV Receivers.. Pre-Owners Thread

I want HDCP2.2 (on at least some inputs), as I'm getting a Nvidia Shield 4k which needs it for Netflix 4k etc. (and only has one HDMI output), and I like the idea of a second HDMI output (switchable like a matrix when amp is in standby), but apart from that I'm clueless.

Any suggestions or pointers gratefully received..

You'd need to be looking at something like the Denon AVRX3200 for this kind of ability. This would be £50 over your proposed budget. It has second HDMI zone capabilities and you can passthrough an HDMI source via its dedicated second HDMI zone output independently of its main HDMI out. You can't do this in standby as such, but you can put the main room to sleep while the second HDMI zone is powered upThis wouldn't outdo your DSPA1 though when it come to pure audio performance. If you wanted similar performance to your A1 then you'd unfortunately have to spend about the same as the A1 cost when new.

I want HDCP2.2 (on at least some inputs), as I'm getting a Nvidia Shield 4k which needs it for Netflix 4k etc. (and only has one HDMI output), and I like the idea of a second HDMI output (switchable like a matrix when amp is in standby), but apart from that I'm clueless.

Any suggestions or pointers gratefully received..

Can you be a bit more specific as to what you want to achieve in association with this?

There is a possibility you could make do with one of the receivers that allows you to passthrough an HDMI source in standby as well as change the HDMI sources while in standby? Not all manufacturers support this though and most only allow for the last HDMI source used or a predetermined HDMI source to be passed through in standby. I'm not sure, but I think Yamaha facilitate the ability to change the HDMI source while in standby? Denon and Marantz don't or didn't on last years models.

My first experience of upscaling thru an AV Receiver was connecting my Wii thru a Pioneer receiver via its component inputs. This was the best output you could get out of the original Wii. The secondary option being Scart. Needless to say... even upscaled to 1080p it still looked softer than a Mr Whippy.

As one of the most prominent features of new upcoming or current receivers is the 4k upscaling @ 60. As far as current user experience (those with a 4k set) how is this working for you?

Are you upscaling so the TV gets a 4k picture? Have you found a notable difference?

Which receiver / TV..?

Is it better to pass thru and let the TV do the work itself?

Is the choice between "upscale the signal or not" as simple as a on/off menu option?

Last edited:
I need a new AVR as having a new room install with a 5.1.4 set up!

But which is the best amp for this set up, with the least price? Recommendations please?

I need a new AVR as having a new room install with a 5.1.4 set up!

But which is the best amp for this set up, with the least price? Recommendations please?

Not every manufacturer has announced their full line up yet so you'd be limited to the manufacturers that have announced their higher end 9 channel receivers if wanting 5.1.4 from it. You'd need to be spending at least £1 - 1.5K for an HDMI version 2, HDCP 2.2 compliant 9 channel receiver with Atmos decoding.

The Denon AVRX4200 would be one option. This would set you back £1100 is bought for its suggested retail price. This wont be available until September.

EDIT The information above is incorrect and the AVRX4200W is in fact a 7.1 receiver with 9.2 processing capabilities. You'd need to add a 2 channel power amp to be able to have a 5.1.4 setup.

Last edited:
Not every manufacturer has announced their full line up yet so you'd be limited to the manufacturers that have announced their higher end 9 channel receivers if wanting 5.1.4 from it. You'd need to be spending at least £1 - 1.5K for an HDMI version 2, HDCP 2.2 compliant 9 channel receiver with Atmos decoding.

The Denon AVRX4200 would be one option. This would set you back £1100 is bought for its suggested retail price. This wont be available until September.
To be fair that is the one i was looking at. I know other companies haven't come out but Buying a Denon, your not going to go wrong.

If I wanted to set up a 5.2.4 set up, would the AVRX4200 cope?

If I wanted to set up a 5.2.4 set up, would the AVRX4200 cope?

Yes, its a 9 channel receiver with both Atmos and a promised DTS:X update when available.

The 4200 is 9 channels processing but 7 amps, isn't it? Confused me to start with, but pretty sure that's right, having read a few sites. So you'll need extra 2 channel power amp for 5.1.4. I'm thinking of a Marantz 7010 myself - 11 channels with 9 amps. Can do my planned 7.1.2 room with no extra amps.

Can you be a bit more specific as to what you want to achieve in association with this?

There is a possibility you could make do with one of the receivers that allows you to passthrough an HDMI source in standby as well as change the HDMI sources while in standby? Not all manufacturers support this though and most only allow for the last HDMI source used or a predetermined HDMI source to be passed through in standby. I'm not sure, but I think Yamaha facilitate the ability to change the HDMI source while in standby? Denon and Marantz don't or didn't on last years models.

I have an HDMI over Cat-5 (splitter then converter) running to other room through the house. I just thought it'd be useful to be able to switch between sources, using the zone 2 and not needing the splitter anymore. It's not a biggy on my requirements to be honest. The main thing for me is to get something that matches my speakers (couple of years before I think I'll swap them for something less conspicuous), and won't noticeably sound too much worse than my A1, without going North of £1,000 (the budget's already sneaking up :)).

The 4200 is 9 channels processing but 7 amps, isn't it? Confused me to start with, but pretty sure that's right, having read a few sites. So you'll need extra 2 channel power amp for 5.1.4. I'm thinking of a Marantz 7010 myself - 11 channels with 9 amps. Can do my planned 7.1.2 room with no extra amps.

Now I'm even more confused!

EDITED due to the information given being incorrect.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Last edited:
Every place I look says 4100 is 9.2 channels, but 7 amps.

AVR-X4100W

Confirmed here:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/de...with-dolby-atmos-dts-x.1963362/#post-22266323

The AVRX4200W is indeed only a 7.1 AV receiver.

The cheapest option currently available if wanting a 9 channel HDCP 2.2 compliant 5.1.4 setup would in fact be the Marantz SR7010. Either this or the AVRX4200W and a cheap 2 channel power amp. You could also do the same with the cheaper Marantz SR6010 which is also a 7 channel receiver with 9.2 processing and the option to add an additional 2 channel power amp. The disadvantage when compared to the AVRX4200W would be the second HDMI zone capabilities.

Last edited:
For me, the 7010 is still looking like a sweet spot. Have to spend way more on a Yamaha to get equivalent.

So, are we any clearer to what AVR is needed for a potential 5.2.4 set up? But for the next year I'd say, I'll be running with a 5.1.4 setup

From What Hi-fi, the Marantz SR6010 will do the job for a 5.1.4. That correct?

So, are we any clearer to what AVR is needed for a potential 5.2.4 set up? But for the next year I'd say, I'll be running with a 5.1.4 setup

You'd currently need at least a:
Yamaha RXA2050
Marantz SR7010

All the new receivers accommodate 2 subs. There's no format that includes 2 LFE channels so there's no such thing as 5.2.4. The receiver simply has an ability to connect and use 2 as opposed to one sub. The subs mirror the same audio and do not deal with different and separate channels.

Last edited:
From What Hi-fi, the Marantz SR6010 will do the job for a 5.1.4. That correct?

Not from the word go. It is only a 7 channel receiver with only 7 internal channels of amplification, but you can add a 2 channel power amp and make it into a 9 channel receiver using its 9.2 channel processing capabilities. It would give you 5.1.2 without the external amp and 5.1.4 with the external amp.

What HiFi are incorrect.

From AVForums:

Next in the line-up is the SR6010, a Network AV Receiver with 7-channels of amplification at 185W a channel. There’s also 9.2-channel processing, current feedback HDAM preamp and the sound has been retuned with new parts. There’s Dolby Atmos, along with upgrades for Auro-3D, DTS:X and DTS Neural:X 9.1. There are 8 HDMI inputs with 4K 60Hz passthrough and HDCP 2.2, along with triple HDMI outputs with multi-source and multi-zone. There’s also Audyssey MultEQ XT32/LFC (supports Pro), built-in WiFi, built-in Bluetooth, Spotify Connect, Gapless and DSD streaming. The Marantz SR6010 is available from the 15th of September, comes in a choice of black or premium silver and has a list price of £899.

Marantz launch new AV Receivers with Dolby Atmos & DTS:X | AVForums

Last edited:
Some say u have to pay a bit more for the same features with the coming Adventage Yamaha range........

Maybe the ESS SABRE DACs add a lot to the cost though...?

.... they go a long way to making OPPO 105's 500 quid more than OPPO 103's?

I'm no expert....... (even novice is pushing it)..... but there seems to be a distinct leaning towards

premium quality iin the audio dept...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom