New 2015 HDCP 2.2 Compatable AV Receivers.. Pre-Owners Thread

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MarkHell, Jun 14, 2015.

1. MarkHell

MarkHell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    Welcome.
    Due for release in July 2015 & thru the Summer and into Autumn are more of the first new HDCP 2.2 Compatable AV Receivers. With UDH Bluray a reality its time to upgrade.. Lets talk about it.

[​IMG]

Are you "in the market" for a new AV receiver?

Have u got any models model on your shortlist?

Are you upgrading from an older AV receiver?

Would it be your first AV RECEIVER?

How would you be using it? - 5.1, 7.1, 2.1 music? DTS-HD Music Bluray?
    Bluray? DVD? TV Passthrough? Console? Streaming from PC, Smart Phone/Tablet, NAS?

Internet Radio?

Where are you planning to buy from?

Big chain? Local Dealer? Internet?

Is it a long time (5 years) since your last new AV Reciever? - Which of the new features are you most looking forward to using... WiFi streaming? 3D, 4K Passthru & Upscaling? Spotify?

Are u a regualar upgrader (1 to 2 years), if not why jump in now? The price, the features? You have been waiting for HDCP 2.2 / HDMI2.0 compatible devices to show up... or this product just offers the right price for the amount of oomph & fun?

Discuss:.. .. .

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228
    I'm not considering it, but I would be looking at the Denon AVRX2200W as opposed to the RXV679 if I were on the market for a receiver at this price point. I'd be looking at the Denon because it includes both DTS:X and Atmos.

3. MarkHell

MarkHell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    Ive seen the press reports of the NEW Denon range but for now and the forseeable future (like ever) i dont see myself having room for a DTS: X or Atmos speaker system...

I also wondered if including them at a similar price point would "water down" the over all quality of the system as these features usually come in a higher price range? Or at least for now.... when these features command premium price..

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228
    The AVRX2200W will be just as competent as its predecessor and its predecessor was a direct competitor to Yamaha's predecessor to the RXV679, the RXV677. Nothing has been taken away from the AVRX2200W to give it Atmos and DTS:X capabilities.

The AVRX2200W will has a lower suggested retail price than the RXV679, yet the RXV679 will be using a less powerful chipset and no new features apart from Bluetooth and HDMI version 2.0.

On paper, the AVRX2200W is a better receiver for less money. You've no other option than to go with what is on paper at this stage because neither product is yet available to audition or compare with one another. I think your thread a little premature because people can only comment on the specifications at this point in time.

Which features does the RXV679 have that the AVRX2200W doesn't?

5. MarkHell

MarkHell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    I've not done a one by one comparison....... maybe i should, when the first Denon arrives in July.

6. MarkHell

MarkHell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    How were the predecessors (well, the current models) received and how did thay fare over there lifetime? Equals, or a clear winner?

This shot is from the .. Denon AVRX3200W (one model up) ... quite an uncluttered selection of ins and outs!

I dont see a LFE out for my powered sub tho? Am i looking right?

http://www.*/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/denon_avrx2200w_3-761x400.jpg

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228
    All the Denon receivers have two LFE outs and support two active subs.

Is a cluttered arrangement of ins and outs something you were after?

8. Dave M

Dave M
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    dante01 recommend my current receiver. The Denon 3312. Been a great receiver. When it was released it was £1000 (2012) but I bought it in 2013 for £500. Only "problem" I've had is trying to get the ARC to work with my LG 960 but have read that others also have had problems so it might be the TV? As dante01 pointed out, you can get some great offers on "last years models".

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228
    I wasn't actually making this point on this occasion because I believe the OP is looking for a receiver that will be compliant with UHD and 4K Blu-ray (HDMI version 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant)? I was making the point that you can't really make your mind up and commit yourself until all the cards are on the table and even then you are going to have to listen to the options before determining which is the best option available :)

10. MarkHell

MarkHell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    No, uncluttered was a compliment......... i was just suprised to see 30% of back-panel with no connections.

11. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228
    Most of the inputs on AV receivers these days will never have anything connected to them and are only still left in place for a small minority that may have older legacy components that would require such inputs. Getting rid of all these analogue inputs not only makes things tidier, but also potentially reduces the cost of manufacturing the receiver.

Denon started tidying up the interfaces on their receiver's last year and is now one of the tidiest in the business :)

12. Dave M

Dave M
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    Going back to my earlier post, dante01; is there any way to test if the ARC is working on my Denon?

13. MarkHell

MarkHell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    Yup...... compliancy with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 is essential.......

.... and waiting till all the cards are on the table also... I'm at a ceiling of about £850 Max for the reciever.... i'll be using 5.1 but 5.1 systems are mostly entry level and lacking other spec... so if (unused) 7.1 is the way to get what i actaually do want then so be it.

14. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228

Denon usually comply with HDMI's ARC guidlines and I think it more likely to be the TV if you are having issues? TV manufacturers try to claim HDMI Control as their own or tie it to other products they make. This usually results in features such as ARC not working as was intended when usin products not made by the same manufacturer as the TV. I Tthink LG are one of the worst offenders when it comes to issues associated with HDMI Control and or ARC? LG TVs are often mentioned when people raise issues they are having with ARC.

I've an older Denon receiver using ARC in conjunction with a Samsung TV without major issue.

15. Dave M

Dave M
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    Ok thanks. I'm using optical to get around. I think you've already said elsewhere that ARC and optical produce the same quality?

16. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228
    Yes, both ARC and optical use the same S/PDIF protocol so the capabilities and types of audio you can convey are both the same. The only advantage associated with HDMI ARC is that of convenience because it uses the one HDMI cable. The advantages associated with conventional HDMI audio streaming are another matter and HDMI can convey audio data streams that S/PDIF and or ARC cannot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. MarkHell

MarkHell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430

Broadly speaking .. taking history and stereotypes into account... (or any yardstick you like..)
    Is £850 better spent on an ONKYO or a YAM or a Denon..... or a Pioneer.... (I currently have a Pioneer VSX 1019AH, 5+ yrs old with Focal Domes).

18. Dave M

Dave M
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    I think that the receiver needs to be "compatible" with your speakers although I've never really understood this?

19. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,259
    For me from personal experience I'm unlikely yo buy onkyo again since my last one gave up in months with the well know hdmi board problems. I run a set of focal domes in the bedroom with a Yamaha 1073 and it's great. Especially for music which was pleasantly surprising. You'll find fans of all marques.

20. MarkHell

MarkHell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    I think some compliment each other better than others....... "like a match made in (audio) heaven"

21. MarkHell

MarkHell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    I have had a Denon (pre-DTS-HD Days) and currently have a Pioneer VSX 1019AH. I like to try something different each time so i feel like ive got something "new" for my money. Yeah, weird know.

22. MarkHell

MarkHell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    From my minimal research into a new AV RECEIVER, is it me or do you not see D.A.B radio so much on the spec list?

Internet radio yes....... (57,000 channels and nothing on) but DAB no so much..?

23. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228
    There's also the fact Onkyo have dropped Audyssey room EQ correction and chosen to go with their own proprietary AccuEQ system. The AccuEQ system hasn't been received with much if any ethusiasm and it is proving to be more a step backward than an improvemeny as far as room correction goes.

Pioneer are okay, but can be quirky. There also have a signature sound that doesn't appeal to everyone.

Denon and Yamaha are the safest bets, but Marantz shouldn't be left out of the equation either, especially if wanting a receiver with better performance in relation to music and stereo content.

All receivers now include the ability to access internet radio and this gives you superior digital radio when compared to DAB. Stay clear of Sony if this is important to you because they cannot decide whether to provided this service or not and appear to have issues between themselves and vTuner who provide the internet radio services.

vTuner Internet Radio

Why DAB radio in the UK is broken, and how to fix it | TechRadar

Forget about DAB because it isn't going to be taken up by the receiver manufacturers. They've attempted to include it in the past and have since dropped it. I think Yamaha made one receiver last year that included it, but that was it.

24. MarkHell

MarkHell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430

Ive changed the title and opening post of this thread to reflect the fact that i am have an "open mind" as to my future purchase. Its anyone's game (tho Onkyo was never in the running)

25. taffyt

taffyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Oooh, perfect thread to jump in on (I hop), after a long time lurking...

It's been about 15 years since my last AVR purchase, which was a Yamaha DSP-A1, and although it still sounds great to me, I'm struggling without HDMI inputs and also feel like I'm missing out on the lossless HD audio formats.

I don't want to spend anywhere near the likes of the original A1 price, but wondering how a modern amp around the £700 and below mark would compare. I'm currently using Mission 752 fronts, 751 rears (placed far too high) and a 75c centre along with a Paradigm PDR-1000 (in need of replacement, and never felt quite right). All of the above was bought on a recommendation, so never really understood how well it all matched, and whether the amp was wasted (if so, then maybe something sub £700 will sound just as good).

I want HDCP2.2 (on at least some inputs), as I'm getting a Nvidia Shield 4k which needs it for Netflix 4k etc. (and only has one HDMI output), and I like the idea of a second HDMI output (switchable like a matrix when amp is in standby), but apart from that I'm clueless.

Any suggestions or pointers gratefully received..

26. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228
    You'd need to be looking at something like the Denon AVRX3200 for this kind of ability. This would be £50 over your proposed budget. It has second HDMI zone capabilities and you can passthrough an HDMI source via its dedicated second HDMI zone output independently of its main HDMI out. You can't do this in standby as such, but you can put the main room to sleep while the second HDMI zone is powered upThis wouldn't outdo your DSPA1 though when it come to pure audio performance. If you wanted similar performance to your A1 then you'd unfortunately have to spend about the same as the A1 cost when new.

27. shayfarrelly

shayfarrelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've just bought the Sony STR-DN1060 which supports 4k and HDCP2.2 & HI-RES audio. £499 in the UK I think.

28. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228

Can you be a bit more specific as to what you want to achieve in association with this?

There is a possibility you could make do with one of the receivers that allows you to passthrough an HDMI source in standby as well as change the HDMI sources while in standby? Not all manufacturers support this though and most only allow for the last HDMI source used or a predetermined HDMI source to be passed through in standby. I'm not sure, but I think Yamaha facilitate the ability to change the HDMI source while in standby? Denon and Marantz don't or didn't on last years models.

29. MarkHell

MarkHell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    My first experience of upscaling thru an AV Receiver was connecting my Wii thru a Pioneer receiver via its component inputs. This was the best output you could get out of the original Wii. The secondary option being Scart. Needless to say... even upscaled to 1080p it still looked softer than a Mr Whippy.

As one of the most prominent features of new upcoming or current receivers is the 4k upscaling @ 60. As far as current user experience (those with a 4k set) how is this working for you?

Are you upscaling so the TV gets a 4k picture? Have you found a notable difference?

Which receiver / TV..?

Is it better to pass thru and let the TV do the work itself?

Is the choice between "upscale the signal or not" as simple as a on/off menu option?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  30. H4rrp

H4rrp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I need a new AVR as having a new room install with a 5.1.4 set up!

But which is the best amp for this set up, with the least price? Recommendations please?