NEW 2003 PANASONIC DVD Players and DVD Recorders!!!

akash

Standard Member
Reaction score
Check it out here:
http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_e...ces/product.asp

Most exciting news:
- All players now have progressive scan, even the cheapest. Don't know what chips yet.
- All players now can play DVD-RAM discs.
- New DVD Recorders are essentially unchanged from the current generations (so I won't feel bad not upgrading this year!)

To summarize:

DVD-S35S <<----- appears to be the new low-end model, replacement for RV32?
DVD Player
* Multi-Format Playback (DVD-Video, DVD-RAM, CD, CD-R/RW, JPEG, MP3 and WMA)
* Progressive Scan
* Slim Design

DVD-S55S <<----- new mid-range model to replace RP62?
DVD Player
* High Quality Audio Playback (DVD-Audio Multi Channel, Digital Re-Master)
* Monitor Selector and Depth Enhancer
* Ultra Slim Design

DVD-F65S and 65K <<-----same features as the S35S, replaces XP line? DVD changer?
DVD Player
* Ultra Slim Design
* Multi-Format Playback (DVD-Video, DVD-RAM, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3 and WMA)
* Progressive Scan

DVD-F85S <<-----replaces RP82 and XP50??? DVD changer?
DVD Player
* High Quality Audio Playback (DVD-Audio Multi Channel, Digital Re-Master)
* Monitor Selector and Depth Enhancer
* Ultra Slim Design

DMR-E50 <<-----replaces E30?
DVD-RAM Recorder
* DVD-RAM & DVD-R Compatibility
* Progressive Scan
* Time Slip - Chasing Playback with Simultaneous Record and Play

DMR-E60 <<-----just like HS2 minus the hard drive?
DVD-RAM Recorder
* Dual SD/PCMCIA Card Slot
* DV Input
* Progressive Scan

DMR-E90H <<-----just like HS2 but with 80gb drive?
DVD-RAM Recorder
* Built-in 80GB Hard Drive
* Dual SD/PCMCIA Card Slot
* DV Input
* Progressive Scan

THIS IS A REPLY RECIEVED FROM A VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE MEMBER (DGB) OF THE WWW.AVSFORUM.COM SITE ABOUT A BLACK PLUGE LEVEL PROBLEM WITH THE CURRENT DVD RECORDER =

"I received an official statement from Panasonic this afternoon, which they asked me to post:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the past few months Panasonic has been following the discussions about our DVD recorders, specifically those discussions focused on the video level at which "black" is recorded. We greatly appreciate the time each of you took to share these comments.

For the benefit of those who may not be aware, NTSC recordings that originate outside North America typically record black at 0 IRE, while here in North America black is recorded at 7.5 IRE. This portion of the video signal is often called "setup." Given the reality that the majority of consumer TVs are adjusted "by eye" most consumers would not notice such a slight variation unless an accurate alignment of the TV was attempted. Our Call Center has received a few calls from customers who, after reading this forum, contacted us for additional information. In general, they were very pleased with the products performance and contacted Panasonic more out of curiosity than concern.

In our research we discovered that these issues are mentioned in the operating instructions of some models made by our competitors. We also noted that while some DVD recorders may add 7.5 IRE to the native signal, others do not. Most manufacturers, Panasonic included, address this variable situation by including a feature in DVD players that allows the user to darken the playback picture by 7.5 IRE. Those manufacturers that don't have suggested a simple and effective solution, to slightly decrease the TV brightness. In either example, the level of black at 0 or 7.5 IRE is more of a personal viewing issue than one of performance.

This afternoon, a press conference was held in Las Vegas at the CE show that will open tomorrow morning. There, we announced our new DMR-E50 DVD recorder, the newest addition to our product line. The DMR-E50 retains the features of the DMR-E30 and adds new features such a MP3 playback as well as independent control of black level for both record and playback. This feature will allow the user to correct for variations that cannot be corrected when the DVD player does not offer the feature. We've also requested that this new feature be included in all subsequent models.

This feature was the result of extensive design changes, certainly beyond the possibility of adding this new feature to existing models. Information on the new DMR-E50 will be posted on our web site very soon and it should be in the stores sometime in February. Customers with questions can contact our Customer Call Center at 1-(800) 211-7262. "

IF YOU WPULD LIKE FURTHER INFORMATION GO TO
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...19&perpage=20&highlight=DMRE90H&pagenumber=14

found an execellent site with a review of the DMR-HS2. What intrigued me was the paragraph regarding RGB signals from a DVD player into the recorder which causes probelms sometimes.

The guy who did the review found a solution!

Do you have the link for the review?

Cheers

Deks

Thanks Akash,

I have decided to buy one. I was wondering, however, how long before the 80gb version will be which I believe may have progressive output.

Deks

i believe the upcoming models will be announced in march.

i am gonna wait till new models from other companies as well are announced before deciding.

Does anyone know if the UK version of the E50 has the black level control for recording NTSC?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom