Question New 1440p 144Hz Monitor

samhain

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After 9 and half years my old 24" not quite 1080p Dell monitor is getting shifted on.

I'm in the market for an IPS 1440p monitor. The two main options appears to be the Asus PG279q (terrible quality control issues) or the Acer Predator XB271HU (better quality issues).

I'm edging more towards the Acer as it's cheaper and it's exactly the same panel and experience. However, both monitors are getting exceedingly rare and both out of stock or no information on well know PC hardware sites in the UK.

Anyone know if there's a refresh coming with these, or have any other opinions about what I need to look at? If there was a refresh I would have thought CES 2019 would have showed them off but there was nothing. A few people have mentioned particularly Asus might have something cooking?

Cheers

Stewart

I don't remember them making any 1680x1050 monitors in 24", they were mostly 22" with 24" being 1920x1200, and later 1920x1080 when the trend of copying TV resolutions became a thing.

Either way, are you sure about downsizing? Going for only 27" for such a big jump in resolution will make everything on screen smaller, you need to be looking at the 32" models for something comparable to your current screen.

Presumably you're gaming on this if you're looking at those screens?

Yes gaming and work, you’re right about smaller. Apparently there’s a desktop fix that resizes things to make icons and text bigger without affecting quality

Yes gaming and work, you’re right about smaller. Apparently there’s a desktop fix that resizes things to make icons and text bigger without affecting quality

There isn't, or at least not one that works universally.

Your main three options are

1. Drop the resolution.
Pros: It scales everything correctly
Cons: It makes everything look worse

2. Use windows scaling option
Pros: Some HiDPI aware programs look better
Cons: On settings below 200% the majority of programs without explicit support will be a little blurry, and some programs with custom interface elements will ignore it and stay tiny. 200% is only practical for 3840x2160 and above.

3. Change the default font sizes
Pros: Nothing is blurry
Cons: Can break some program interfaces due to text being cut off or overrunning. It's being phased out and the option has been removed from the Windows 10 interface.

There is one simple 'desktop' fix - move the screen across the top of your desk so it's closer to you and everything appears the same size.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom