New “Logo” (DOG) on channel 5?

John7

I’ve just noticed a new on screen graphic on channel 5 programming on freeview and Virgin.

In addition to the 5 logo at the top L/H side of the screen, there’s now a square black an white box in the R/H corner - and it’s bloody annoying!. It’s on SD and HD and dissapears with the 5 logo when ads are on, only to return with the programme.

It’s only appeared today. Anyone knows what it is and what purpose it serves, it’s really bugging me?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 1,231

mikej

mikej

Just realised it was what I noticed on a film on Channel 5 last night - it just looked a little different due to the black bar at the top making it look like a white 'tooth' sticking down. Someone else asked about it here...

6022tivo

It is to tell the network and anyone working for them that the broadcast is being transmitted by their DR backup facility. Same on E4.

Not sure what the problem is with their main broadcasting setup. But that's what it is there for.

mikej

chenks

Suspended

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Yeah it was bugging me and its all down to Red Bee Media as far as I can find out as they had a suspected fire (unconfirmed), which means that all the channels who use them had to go to a backup system. I know that CH4 is still a pain with the audio with some of the programs outputting to the wrong speakers when outputting as 5.1. I've to downmix them to stereo otherwise the half of the sound comes out of the rears and the other half comes out of the fronts with some parts being painfully quiet. Sadly its always perfect on the adverts :rolleyes:

jamct

Just watched recording of The CH5 'World's Most Scenic Railway Journeys' and noticed the black & white square Digital Onscreen Graphic (D O G) on the top right side of my OLED. The white is very white and the black is very black and could be a contrast- reference marker for some unknown reason. My clever AI enhanced Philips 935 automatically dims other D O G s after a few seconds but not so this one. Could therefore cause OLED screen burn if displayed for too long.☹

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
After nearly a week, it's still a "suspected fire".

Surely they must know!

Why the mystery?

Can't help wondering if there's more than meets the eye here...

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
There are other unconfirmed comments about the it being the fire protection system which could have gone off causing damage to the hard disc drives. So, this could be why two variations of this story are on the web. I’m sure the information will show itself when once they’ve cleaned up and replaced what ever’s broken.

I have to say I was more surprised that almost everything was under one roof and how quickly everything broke. Made me think it’s quite a vulnerable process, but I guess everything has a start point and nothing is infallible

Last edited:

tmurphy

My brother works for Arquiva in Winchester where the signal is transmitted up, I asked the question and here's the definitive reply:-

"Channel 5 is played out by Redbee media in White City. A few weeks back their fire suppression systems went off killing a load of equipment, hence the outages to Ch4 / Ch5.

They have a Disaster Recovery playout up the road at Ericsson Chiswick Park, in short the cue dot indicates that the content is currently coming from the DR playout not the main feed. It's Channel 5's choice to insert this, likeley to be a week or two more of this as Redbee are struggling to get back up and running"

Last edited:

Vully

Standard Member
Thanks for that ... I have had the wife moaning since she only noticed after I got a new TV this week ... so it was probably mu fault!!!!

brian s

Distinguished Member
Yes the square is annoying but so is the 5. The 5 is enough to stop me watching channel on anything approaching a regular basis.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom