Nevo owners thread?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Steveiam, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Steveiam

Steveiam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just done a search for the above thread and can't see one so just asking can we have one admins? Now I know these remotes come with the dealer backup which you pay for but like me I bought it secondhand and with the SL been replaced this year I think more and more of these remotes will be sold from people wanting to upgrade. Just thought it would be of some help to these people me included if owners can share knowledge, tip, setups what do you think?

2. james_uk9

james_uk9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28

I have no experience of the Nevo, please feel free to start a discussion thread though.

regards James.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I am a NevoSL owner, retailer and trained programmer. If you need specific help wtih something then let me know and I might be able to assist. Please bear in mind though that I make a living from programming these units and therefore the sort of information I may be willing to give freely will be limited.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I'm also a certified Nevo installer, not sure about the future of an owners thread, I have heard the govt are going to crack down on suicide websites....

5. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Few questions about the Nevos, actually.

How does the Media Life, or whatever it's called, application actually get information to your display? Is there a little unit that you've got to plug in? I can't see anything mentioned on the nevo site about this, merely that it just magically makes photos appear on your TV.

Also, can you set up some macros that go into your TV settings depending on what you're watching. e.g., say you've got a Pio TV and are watching freeview and a film comes on, can the remote go in and change the drive mode directly?

6. Steveiam

Steveiam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My train of thought here was to just give a little help to people thinking of buying one of these things tbh I'd never seen one upto 3 weeks ago I'm lucky enough to have a dealer 5 mins away from me I went in there for a QED scart lead and just asked him which remotes he stocked he showed me a Nevo SL then told me the price (£650 full retail) I "carefully" placed it back on the counter and said thankyou :) me been me I wanted one but couldn't afford one at that sort of price but had a look for a second hand one I ended up buying one from a guy selling all his audiophile stuff because he was moving to oz for £150 now if I run into big trouble will the dealer sort me out at a price? and I just thought will dealers be offering Nevo SL owners a good trade for the S70 or not bother in which case people wishing to upgrade will sell on here or Ebay and to help people buying and selling them a little free help because more people will buy them at the £150 - £200 I know I looked at the Logitech 885 before I'd seen these but a Logitech 885 £100 - £150, or a Nevo SL £150 - £200 no contest really.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The photos appear on your display via a video connection from your PC, rather than black magic. That assumes of course that the Nevo will connect and stay connected to your wi fi, that you are not running vista, and that the battery lasts long enough to be usable.

8. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    So you need to take one of your PC's outputs into your display, configured as a second monitor?

Also, you're obviously not a fan ;). What are the alternatives, and what separates them from the competition?

9. Steveiam

Steveiam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just noticed in my Nevo setting I have no Nevolink or wi-fi icons I was looking through the user manual and saw it had 6 icon i only have 4 Power, Backlight, Date & Time and Calibration is there a way to get the other 2? I've just done a firmware update to 2.0.1.19. Many thanks.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Tools - nevosl settings - access - tick 'enable wi fi' and 'enable media zones'.

11. Steveiam

Steveiam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers MAW I take it thats in nevostudio with the Nevo connected via usb never thought of looking there :rolleyes: I was looking on the remote its self.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Yes, in nevostudio. You'll find wireless connection endlessly entertaining, what make is your router?

13. Steveiam

Steveiam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a Netgear

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    That should be OK. I've had a fair bit of fun and games with more obscure hardware.

15. Steveiam

Steveiam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of buying a remote controlled room stat, I know I can program the nevo to control it but is there a way of seeing the temperature on the nevo screen so you know how many degrees you've turned it up and down? I'm guessing not.

16. jolly

jolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I bought one of these just before christmas on the spur of the moment from these forums

Not yet got round to programing it

How hard is it compared to say a logitech 895 ?

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Thermostat, no way I can think of unless you have more home automation to provide the interface, like Digilinx. Even then, the Nevo is the wrong remote, no software support for this kind of thing. Jolly, whilst programming the nevois very different and has it's very own frustrations, you m,ay find a remote like this easier to accomplish exactly what you want on than any harmony. You have the control here, not some website in Canada.

18. jolly

jolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    It is a great piece of kit no doubt, just gonna take my time with it

19. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi, what is the web site control like on the nevo?

I was thinking of getting one to control xlobby.

thanks

CaM