NeverMiss.TV - Watch all UK CatchUp TV & FreeView on your HTPC!

PhillVixx

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm pleased to announce the first beta release of NeverMiss.TV, an application that allows you watch internet TV on your TV!

This is my pet project that I created to try and get all the catchup tv content available on the internet into one place that I (plus my wife) could easily watch in the lounge on the big tv. Since getting it into a working state I've watched more catchup tv then ever!

It pulls content (updated when you start the app) from all the main UK sources so you get 17 channels: BBC iPlayer (1-4, CBBC, CBeebies, News, Sport, Parliament, HD & Alba), ITV Player (1-4), 4 on Demand & Demand Five.

It also integrates with the great service from TVCatchup.com so you can watch 40 free view channels.
You have to register with Demand Five & TVCatchup.com & put your details in the settings page so you can access their content. You also have to explictly check the boxes on the settings page to allow you view adult content.
I do not re-encode or restream any of the content, therefore all adverts put in place by ITV, 4oD, Demand 5 & TVCatchup are still there.

The application is really a webbrowser for internet video, it simply creates an easily navigated program guide and lets you play the video direct from the content providers website but in a more TV (& family) friendly manner.

It integrates with Windows Media Center (go to the settings screen to install) but can also run standalone & uses the Media Center Remote Control (even when not in WMC).

You move around the app using the mouse, keyboard or standard Windows Media Center remote control. Typically all that is needed to navigate the application is move, select & back (up/down/left/right, remote select/enter/play/mouse click & back/backspace).
When playing, the video goes into fullscreen automatically. You can then pause & replay using the play/pause button on the remote. If using just the keyboard or mouse you'll need to hit escape or double click to exit fullscreen. You can then use the P key to play/pause and the F key to go fullscreen. For those with a remote the next track button (looks like >|) toggles in & out of fullscreen mode.

And you can download the app directly at: http://nevermiss.tv/app/setup.msi.

I've got a ton of ideas to improve the application but I wanted to get this version out into public beta for people to play with, I hope you enjoy it.

I've also enclosed a few pictures. Let me know what you think.

Phill

Main TV Series Browser:

demand5-gadgetshow-small.jpg

Select a Series and get a list of programs to chose from:

f1-small.jpg

Video content plays embedded within application before going fullscreen:

doctorwho-playing-small.jpg

TVCatchUp & 40 FreeView channels:

tvcatchup-small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you've been working hard!

I'm sure you know there are other similar solutions out there, TunerFree MCE to name one.

However, until the BBC Trust stop arguing about Project Canvas, utilities like this are most welcome!

I've been using "NeverMiss.TV" for a couple of weeks now (after reading about it in these forums) and I'm really impressed.

At the moment, I've currently got NMTV integrated into my MediaPortal set-up on my HTPC and it works a treat. It's just really handy having all of the stations and on demand services in one place. I also love the fact that I can use my remote to browse through everything.

So thanks very much PhillVixx and keep up the great work. :thumbsup:

Wow, you've been working hard!

I'm sure you know there are other similar solutions out there, TunerFree MCE to name one.

However, until the BBC Trust stop arguing about Project Canvas, utilities like this are most welcome!

Hard but fun!

I think everyone who's got an MCE setup and is interested in catch-up tv has played with TunerFree MCE.

The problem is is that TFM struggles when starting the video, it pops up a whole embedded browser and it's a bit hit & miss as to whether the program starts or goes fullscreen (No disrespect intended to TFM as I use to use it myself!).

The main improvement I wanted to make over TFM was that all channels presented a similar experience when in use and that starting, going fullscreen & pause/play worked consistently. Hopefully I've managed to achieve this and with more beta feedback it can only get better.

Phill

I've been using "NeverMiss.TV" for a couple of weeks now (after reading about it in these forums) and I'm really impressed.

At the moment, I've currently got NMTV integrated into my MediaPortal set-up on my HTPC and it works a treat. It's just really handy having all of the stations and on demand services in one place. I also love the fact that I can use my remote to browse through everything.

So thanks very much PhillVixx and keep up the great work. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words :blush:; it's great to hear that you've already been using NeverMiss.TV, getting the word out is harder than I ever thought.

Phill

cool - gonna try this out tonight !! I have online videos plugin in Mediaportal, but doesn't seem to work with iPlayer. If this works fine for iPlayer then it will be perfect !!......is there any chance it could work with XBMC for the original xbox?

cool - gonna try this out tonight !! I have online videos plugin in Mediaportal, but doesn't seem to work with iPlayer. If this works fine for iPlayer then it will be perfect !!......is there any chance it could work with XBMC for the original xbox?
Unlikely for XBMC on the xbox but XBMC on Windows is something I'm looking into.

Phill

How hav you done that please, this looks liek a great app!

+1

I agree. This looks like the sort of thing i've been waiting for. I used both tvcatchup and things like iplayer but the main problem is that they aren't available from one common place, which this seems to address.

Do you reckon recording will ever be possible from something like tvcatchup? Could you just capture the stream? If so, apps like these could kill tv tuners (for me at least)

Will bbc/itv HD and the like ever come to tvcatchup do you reckon?

+1

I agree. This looks like the sort of thing i've been waiting for. I used both tvcatchup and things like iplayer but the main problem is that they aren't available from one common place, which this seems to address.

Do you reckon recording will ever be possible from something like tvcatchup? Could you just capture the stream? If so, apps like these could kill tv tuners (for me at least)

Will bbc/itv HD and the like ever come to tvcatchup do you reckon?
Rumour has it that TVCatchup are working on some kind of recording widget and I've seen mention of HD & high quality channels 'coming soon' on their site.

Time will tell......

Phill

just been over to the full blown tvcatchup site (usually use the iphone one) and there are greyed out HD channels with "coming soon" on them. Exciting news.

Also, looking through the forums a bit i notice they are talking about full blown pvr functionality being in final testing.
If this could be incorporated into the popular front ends it would be killer. But i imagine it could be a lot of work.

I will be trying out your app later for sure! :thumbsup:

I have been using this for a few weeks and I agree with others - this is a cracking set up and so much less hassle than MCE.

It works and has my mrs seal of approval too.
Many thanks

How hav you done that please, this looks liek a great app! :thumbsup:

I use a plugin called MultiShortcut. Basically, it lets you load any ".exe" file from within MediaPortal. Also it is easier if you use Maya or StreamedMP skins because they come with basic menu editors and let you can create your own NeverMiss.TV option in the home menu (see screenshot).

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:
I'm using an Antec Fusion with inbuilt IR detector and running IMON software. This initially caused me a problem. The IR signals weren't detected by NeverMiss.TV. However, if you disable 'exclusive' mode in iMon utilities --> application launcher and then add NeverMiss.TV as a program under settings then I got it all working. I also imported media centre IR commands when I added Nevermiss.TV as a program in iMon. It works really well. Congrats to the author. It looks like its probably wife and daughter friendly! Cbeebies/CBBC on demand!

There may be other ways of getting to work the Antec but I haven't got anytime at the moment to do any more testing.

tried it out last night and worked great - thanks, it sits nicely now in MediaPortal ! One quick question though, how do I exit the app using the remote? Is there a keyboard shortcut for this? Thanks

tried it out last night and worked great - thanks, it sits nicely now in MediaPortal ! One quick question though, how do I exit the app using the remote? Is there a keyboard shortcut for this? Thanks
If you're running within WMC then you can exit by just pressing the green button to bring WMC to the front, NeverMiss.TV will just exit. Likewise if you go 'back' with the menubar active you should exit to WMC.

If you're not running from WMC I use to have it that selecting 'back' when on the menubar would exit the app, but it was annoyingly easy to exit without meaning to so I disabled it.

With people using NMTV as a plugin in tools like MediaPortal I need to find a clean way of exiting so I'm open to suggestions.

Phill

I'm using an Antec/iMon receiver with an Onkyo remote and I had to bind the "Alt-F4" command to a key on the remote (using the iMon software).

With people using NMTV as a plugin in tools like MediaPortal I need to find a clean way of exiting so I'm open to suggestions.

Maybe you could just make the exit "X" icon selectable via the cursor and enter keys. I can only seem to mouse click it at the moment.

If you use something like eventghost you can easily map a button on your remote to exit the app. You just set it up so that when nevermiss.tv is the active app the 'exit' button (or whatever) causes eventghost to close the window.

I know its not the most tidy solution but i've found eventghost invaluable when integrating various HTPC sw together to make them act like one.

Cheers for the MP plugin recommendation DFENS. Looks just the trick.

Thanks, will give this a look over the weekend.

Maybe you could just make the exit "X" icon selectable via the cursor and enter keys. I can only seem to mouse click it at the moment.

That would do for me as well. I currently have the exit button on my Harmony 525 mapped to CRTL + X which is used to exit PowerDVD and DVB Viewer, the two apps I use outside MediaPortal. So being able to select the X icon via the cursor would do just fine,.... or making user-definable keyboard shortcuts for NMTV !!

Firstly thanks to Phillvixx for writing this plugin, it is by far the neatest solution to gathering all the on demand content and displaying it in one place. I installed it last night on my main PC and I'm very impressed with the work so far! Here's to more improvements in the near future ;)

I too am a Mediaportal user and will be looking to add this using the multi shortcut plugin as mentioned earlier.

I can wholly sympathise with the motives for creating this plugin... spousal approval/ease of use is an absolute *must* if domestic bliss is to be had <grin>.

Once again thanks you for such an excellent plugin!

I use a plugin called MultiShortcut. Basically, it lets you load any ".exe" file from within MediaPortal. Also it is easier if you use Maya or StreamedMP skins because they come with basic menu editors and let you can create your own NeverMiss.TV option in the home menu (see screenshot).

Thanks, will give this a try :)

Just got this setup with MediaPortal (and Girder to use my remote). Works like a dream, fantastic work going on here mate!!!

The only problem I have is closing a window with an already playing video. 'Escape' doesn't work for this in the way it does for when you click on a programme to view it's description and other listings for it.

The current solution is to alt-f4 ('Exit' on my Harmony remote) the entire application and re-launch it.

Thanks, will give this a try :)

I've got this setup and showing in My Plugins but cant find it listed in the StreamedMP editor so I can add it to my StreamedMP homepage?

Can anyone help please?

I've got this setup and showing in My Plugins but cant find it listed in the StreamedMP editor so I can add it to my StreamedMP homepage?

Can anyone help please?

I didn't need to do anything with StreamedMP's editor. Just right clicked the plugin under MP's config and selected 'display in home'. It's there...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom