Never Wall Mounted Before - Can The TV Go In Front Of A Plug?

Widge

Hi.

So, the house I moved into had a bunch of regular outlets put high up on the wall for wall mounting the TV. Where I'm looking at having the TV, it will overhang 1/2 of the outlet on the wall.

Image attached. That 43" Philips in the background I was hoping to get on the wall in the space between door and wall with a little chest of drawers underneath.

Is this possible for me to do or am I going to have to do something else here? Having never done this before, I have no clue about pitfalls and considerations, so asking those who know more!

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 62

mikej

There's no obvious reason why you can't do that, but one thing to think about first is whether or not the TV will be viewed when the door is open like that ? If it won't be, then it may look a little odd when placed right up against the corner and the door is closed. A doorstop (or perhaps the small chest of drawers you mentioned) might be a way of allowing you more choice of where to mount the TV on that wall without it being hit by the door when it's opened. The aim when wall mounting is usually to hide the sockets behind the TV, so mounting it a bit further to the left would allow that. Speaking of sockets, those sockets actually look way too high to me - I have never understood why people mount their TVs up by the ceiling ! If there are no bracket holes in the wall, then they may have been put there by the builders and never used.

As far as TV brackets go, you'll probably need one which tilts downwards considering how high the TV will be mounted. A socket and plug usually have a depth of around 3cm or so, so you need to make sure the your bracket projects the back of the TV by at least that amount into the room. Standard brackets tend to have a depth of around 2-3cm which, along with the downwards tilt, means that a standard tilting bracket should be fine, but check the bracket specs to be sure.

As far as mounting the bracket goes, you first need to determine whether it's a hollow (wooden studs/plasterboard) or solid (brick/plaster) wall and make sure you use the appropriate fittings. If it's a hollow plasterboard wall, then locating some or all of the bracket screws in the wooden studs behind will give a more secure fix, however a 43" LCD is unlikely to be that heavy so this may not be too crucial provided appropriate, good quality wall fixings are used. You also need to make sure you avoid any hidden electrical cables when drilling. Electricians should work in 'safe zones' which means you should ideally avoid drilling anywhere horizontally or vertically from any wall outlet or switch, but this doesn't always occur (I've come across a number of diagonal cables buried in my 1970s walls !) so you should always take care.

mikej

Alternatively... the easiest option would actually be to locate the TV on it's stand on top of the drawers you are considering. If you chose your unit / height carefully, this might also put the TV in a more comfortable viewing position. Depends how likely it is to be knocked I guess, with it being so close to a door.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Ideally the power supply to TV should be accessible in an emergency to turn off and isolate rather than directly behind it.

Wall bracket fixings will need locating so as to avoid drilling into the cabling to/from the sockets. Usually this is a strip of wall above and below and to left or right (a bit less frequently)... but anything is possible.

You may need to choose a non-right-to wall bracket to allow clearance for TV plugs (and/or get right-angled ones) and the mains input plug. Plus allow access for connecting any other devices to the tv.

Check if the screen's picture 'fades' as you view it from below and left/right in case you need a more flexible mount to adjust for watching it in bed? If the bed is located where the camera is?

(NB it always used to be that doors were hung the other way so someone opening door into the bedroom would not see the bed occupants immediately).

Widge

Ok, thanks all. I'll take this into consideration.

I'm thinking that in this room, I'll probably go for the TV & stand suggestion. It seems more sensible. The kids rooms have these too, but I'll probably get one of those mounts that can pivot away from the wall.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom