1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never played any Final Fantasy game

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by DJSINGH, Jul 16, 2002.

1. DJSINGH

DJSINGH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There has been a lot made of the final fantasy games but I haven't played a single one. I have a PS2 so I could play the ps1 games aswell as the ps2 ff10 game.
    What is the big deal about these games and is it worth me buying them. Which is the best one?

I know that ff10 is the only ps2 ff game but which ones are available on ps1?

I am a pro evolution man myself and I challenge anyone on it. Are the ff games likely to overtake my love for PES?

PLEASE ADVISE ME!!!!!

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Be careful as far as I know none of the FF series for PS1 will play on the PS2, they were talking about re-releasing PS2 versions.

FF7, 8, and 9 were all PS1 versions, for my money 7 was the best (I've played 7 , 8 and 10).

To be honest you'll either love or hate them, but you'll need to give them at least a good 10 hours to get going, then hopefully you'll get involved in the story a bit.

3. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you like Japanese style turn based rpg's? If you do you'll love 'em, otherwise you'll be left wandering why, for all the graphical niceness does the game play like cr*p.

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It really does depend on your gaming tastes. The Final Fantasy series is renowned for its random battles but the storyline is often superb. The gameplay tends to be vaguely split into three parts -

Adventure - talking to NPCs gaining information etc, buying/selling weapons, items, magic.
    Fights - There will be plenty of this going on, each fight will make you stronger (level up) and you can earn abilities.
    Mini-games - Small games that if won can earn you special items, magic, weapons etc.

I've skipped an awful lot of details in those three catagories but this is a big game. You won't finish any of the Final Fantasy games in one go unless you cheat or (heaven forbid) use a guide. The fights happen often but more often than not need stategy to kill the enemies. Once you reach the bosses you'll understand that you can't just attack at will.

If you've made up your own team in Pro Evo and leveled them up to make the team the best in the world then you'll have the patience to do the same in Final Fantasy.

I've played FFI, FFII, FFIII, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX and FFX just to name the RPGs in the Final Fantasy list and I'm about 100% sure that the older titles like FFI, FFII and even FFIII and FFVII could put you off if you like flashy graphics.

If you can get past the graphics then I would suggest you to play Final Fantasy VII first if you wanted to buy a PSX game. The graphics in this game isn't bad, its just not to everyones tastes but the story is deep and the gameplay is there.

If you want to pump for the PS2 FFX then go ahead. Actually from all of the games FFX is the most "newbie friendly" of them all and it will ease you through the mechanics of Final Fantasy. Its awfully easy but then thats why there are the Dark Aeons...

Anyways to sum it up, get FFX for the PS2 first on rental. If you like it then buy the title. Once you've completed that get Final Fantasy VII then FFVIII, FFIX then FFIII. If of course you don't like the Final Fantasy series then there are other top RPGs in the world...

5. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Basically, if the idea of an pretty, interactive story with a good plot appeals to you you'll probably love it.

Personally, I ended up throwing my controller across my lounge in frustration half way through FFVII as the seventh random battle kicked in whilst I just tried to cross from one side of the screen to the other. That CD never darkened my PlayStation again :D

Having said that, I've got friends who love the series. Maybe try a Blockbuster rental of one for the weekend?

6. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol John, one of my mates did the same thing. Not everyone likes random battles but if you can bypass that you will find some good characterisation and plots within the Final Fantasy games. Of course there are other RPGs out there...

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Hehe, I am the opposite, I throw my controller across the room when I get caught up in one hour of character dialogue!!!!

The random battles are great and I much prefer powering up my characters then listening to 1 hour of dodgy dialogue :)

Baldurs Gate : Dark Alliance is a fairly trigger happy RPG on the PS2, worth a rental if you want RPG lite.

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sinzer, heh the very exact text bored me as well in FFVII, especially when I forgot to save after it all and I had to watch it all again >_< The later FF's though were okay and now FFX that has voice acting. I just hope FFXII will improve on the gameplay a bit more... If you look at the Dragon Quest series it has bags of it. Hell even a few simple things like custom ablilities specific to a class of character, cooking or the DNA splicing of BoF would make it a bit more interesting. Star Ocean had plenty of things going on as did Dragon Quest, so it wouldn't hurt if they introduced similar things to a FF game...

9. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    My only problem with FFX was that the voice acting was a little dodgy (only really liked Auron)....... also because I am growing old in the tooth (as far as RPGS go :) ) I much prefer having text I can read quickly and skip through rather than a lot of FFX, which you couldn't skip due to set animations with the speech.

And I have fond memories of FFVII of a certain text sequence, which took nearly 1 and a half hours and I too forgot to save it afterwards!

Still waiting for that Chronotrigger beater, hopefully the new Square/Nintendo re-partnership will produce something.

It would be nice if they introduce jobs back into it, and much like Tactics and FFXI have the ability to change jobs or progress certain jobs to unlock others. Also, a little more emphasis on the equipment again would be nice, I felt FFX tried to remove the ability bonuses off and essentially made (for the most part) dull equipment.

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sinzer, very nice icon mate. I'm glad to see that there are more animé fans about... Even though most of them seem to be from the DragonBall Z universe. The voice acting was alright... You do yet used to them over time, but when I heard Yunas voice for the first time I thought it was awful. Wakka is played well as is Auron I agree.

I can't remember the name of the woman looking after Aerith when she was a kid, but that scene stood out for me for being stupidly long, as she was explaining EVERYTHING to Cloud and Barret. Was rather painful and the 2nd time out I saved the game straight away.

I too am waiting for a Chrono Trigger beater. The sequal Chrono Cross was quite decent and was very tactical since you could only use one type of magic once during a battle. Doesn't help when you've ran out of healing magic though... Thats when the hair gets pulled out.

The new Squre/Nintendo relationship won't be that great since Square are still very dedicated to Sony... They have after all bought a 20% stake of Square. I'm still hopeful of a true Final Fantasy game on the Gamecube though but the GBA has a better chance of that. I for one would be over the moon if Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu III were released on the GBA... Two top class games never released over here >_<

Jobs I agree would add a lot more depth, but if Square keeps on aiming for the mass market we won't see anything like it again. Then we'd have to turn our attention to Enix or GameArts for deep gameplay.

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Thanks..... I was bored at work today so I decided to sort out my forum profile :p

I have been a little slack on the manga/anime front lately (due to lack of decent AV), hence why I have just ordered Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust and Princess Mononoke (£11 from DVDboxoffice, bargain!)... looking at getting Jin-Roh and Metropolis soon too. Never really been a huge anime fan of the types like Bubblegum Crisis and Star thingies (sailor??!?! I am getting confused with the band).

Usually prefer the more Western audience stuff, which includes lots of nice battle scenes and supernatural powers.

Dragonball Z is ok, Battle of the planets and Ulysses 31 was a lot better, kids don't know what they are missing these days! I do like watching Pokemon though :blush:

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Huge animé fan over here, but had a stupidly lean patch when nothing came out in the UK (1994-98) and I didn't want to order off the net. Now that I do (www.dvdboxoffice.com) I've ordered loads! ^_^ My last animé DVD bill was £374.

Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust is probably the best action flick I've seen in years.. Well worth the cash and its rather sweet in 5.1.
    As for Mononoke... I've ordered it when it hit the USA (£31.. ouch!) and again its not for everyone. Mainly because of the characterisation and the many themes within the plot. For once the dub isn't too bad either.

Jin-Roh is another great (did you know it was on Sci-Fi a year ago?), I ordered the special edition but its worth watching. Its not for everyone though since its based on characterisation rather than mindless action, so the pace might be a bit slow for some. Metropolis again is pretty sweet, I think by now its out in the UK, which is a surprise. I can't exactly remember when this animé was made but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that A.I. was inspired from it... Since its very similar.

As for stuff like Bubblebum Crisis... I kinda enjoyed the "new" series BGC 2040, but I couldn't get into the older ones.. Mainly because the dub was just plain awful. Was rather annoyed too, when I found out that the BGC 2040 perfect collection is about £45-50, when I spent £18 x 6 DVDs.

The uncut DBZ is fine since theres no "Another Dimension" crap...(They substituted "I'm going to kill you" or any word that involves death, kill, etc for "another dimension".

They edited loads out of DBZ like blood, groping (On Bulma and ChiChi.. Which I think incidentally means breasts in Japanese o_O), swearing, urination, tears and certain body parts. Some of these edits I think were fine since it is aimed at the kids... But digitally editing out Gohans tears when he was a baby... The guys must simply have too much time on their hands.

Anyways, I've ranted on and its off topic. Just check out Sci-Fi on Sky Digi (CH 130) for some great weekly TV animés like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Nadesico, and a movie at the end of it like Perfect Blue, Riding Bean etc. Saiko-TV also covers a lot of animé and japanese stuff, every Sat 10am - noon I think.

Shame there isn't a dedicated animé forum here (hint, hint ^_^) but I suppose the target audience of this website is different from the average animé fan. Feel free to email me though on the animé front, its always nice to meet more fans ^_^

13. jewbo

jewbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    final fantsy 7 is the best game of all time. buy it now!!!!!!!

14. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jewbo, if they were RPG fans they would have bought it many years ago... For many though FF7 was their first RPG which is why its held in high regard. I still have a soft spot for Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu III though...

15. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Hehe, Zelda and Secret of Mana (The US/Euro version of Seiken Densetsu, if I can remember rightly :p) roXXored far more :)

FFVII was groundbreaking in terms of graphics, yet it was not very original and actually lacked many complex character paths featured in previous games.