Never Let Me Go Cinema Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Cas Harlow, 28th February 2011.
Never Let Me Go is another fantastic new Brit sci-fi, following on from Moon and Monsters, and utilising the same unusual methodology, where the sci-fi part is an initial conceit which is painted as merely a backdrop for the very human story that unfolds before the viewer. Here we follow three friends on their unquestionably short voyage through life, learning about themselves, yearning for true love and facing up to their own impending mortality. It leaves you feeling drained, tired and desperate to wake up and make the most of the next day. Even if you just get up and go back to work, this effect is clear evidence that this is a thinking-man’s drama to say the least. That said, despite the fact that I have not read the acclaimed book that it was based upon, I have a feeling that something was lost in translation – there certainly seems to be something missing from the production, with a disjointed narrative that never quite allows us to get a handle on these unusual characters. For all the importance of the message it was trying to get across, the movie does not take enough time to establish those that will convey it to us, and so you leave the piece somewhat underwhelmed by where it all has led to. Still, as bold new modern ‘sci-fi’, this is another welcome entry in an important new chapter of British film history. If you can still catch it at the cinema then it’s definitely worth a watch, but don’t be disheartened if you’ve missed it, a purportedly region free Blu-ray is already out Stateside.

Read the full review...

KBeee

If it comes on Channel 4 while nothing else worth watching is on, I'll watch it.
Sounds like the usual boring grey British Dystopia to me (but well acted and costumed, as usual)

Noodles12

Standard Member
i havent yet seen this film as for once i wanted to read the book first. the book is really good, id recommend it and it certainly gives you "food for thought about the way you live your life". if you thought the film should have had "a little bit more substance and focus" then the book has this - a good read. :thumbsup:

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Cas, started to read this review when you posted it and stopped after your first advice - to see the film knowing as little as possible.

The Blu-ray Disc has been sat on my shelf for ages (back of the cover un-read), until I finally got towatch it two nights ago.

Top film! Great tip, thanks for the review, which is as interesting to read for the first time after seeing the film.

A shame it didn't find a wider audience.

Steve W

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Cas, started to read this review when you posted it and stopped after your first advice - to see the film knowing as little as possible.

The Blu-ray Disc has been sat on my shelf for ages (back of the cover un-read), until I finally got towatch it two nights ago.

Top film! Great tip, thanks for the review, which is as interesting to read for the first time after seeing the film.

A shame it didn't find a wider audience.

Steve W

I try my best to advise early on into a review whether or not I reckon it's best to avoid reading too much before seeing a movie, and hopefully some do take that advice, but it's nice to hear that some actually return to the review afterwards.

Glad you enjoyed the read mate, hope you had a good Christmas and have a great New Year,

thanks, Cas

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom