1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never had it so good!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Faust, Aug 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    If reports are to be believed, then the next few weeks and months will see a plethora of new LCD panels coming to market. This can only be good news for those who like myself have yet to dip the proverbial toe in the flat panel market. Most of the new panels will be sporting the HD Ready logo (about time to) as well as an increasing number now coming complete with an integrated Freeview tuner. Given the impending phased shutdown of analogue, then surely all new televisions should now be required to include a DVB tuner as standard? Some panels are even going to include some form of PVR, and if you add to that advances in LCD technology, better resolution, improved response times, improved connectivity etc. then things are certainly looking good. Falling prices and improved specifications have surely benefited those yet to make their purchase, plus if the economy continues to slow further, then prices will continue to be squeezed. Indeed, I was going to take the plunge in November, however, I may well wait to see how things shape up over the Christmas period, because if retailers have a poor Christmas then come January there is sure to be some heavy discounting in order to shift stock. On the face of it then, it certainly looks as though patience has been in virtue in this instance. I am sure that early adopters will say that they have had the benefit of owning a flat panel in the interim, whilst others will say that if one waits there is always something newer and better just around the corner. However, I would argue that this is not something newer or better, i.e. OLED or SED, this is the same LCD technology simply coming of age and offering the consumer what should have been included as standard some time ago.

2. igauk

igauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'd agree, the LCD TV market seems to be maturing, and given the small footprint of DVDs and hardisks I think we'll see more and more all-in-one sets with built in dtt tuners. It'll be intersting to see how the MCPC market holds up. My gut feeling is most people don't want or need a PC in their living room and it will become more of a standard feature of maintream PC's rather than something that is a serious competitor to living room TVs. Mind you, if the BBC start making HD programs available to stream over the internet that might change! Having had my LCD purchasing plans thwarted by kitchen and car repairs I'll probably end up being in the market for a OLED TV!

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    I have to say that I agree with you about a PC in the living room. Call me old fashioned, but I like my PC to be in my home office and not in the living room. I am more than happy with Sky+ taking care of my recording needs along with DVD recorder etc. If prices continue to fall then you may have your LCD sooner than you think, despite your repairs.