1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never experienced this before

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by D-Rocc, Mar 5, 2005.

1. D-Rocc

D-Rocc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am really confused here. I have a Pioneer VSX-9300TX that I just took out of the box and I am driving Atlantic Technology System 20 THX Ultra speakers with a Jamo D8 Sub. When I run a DVD at a volume of -20dB (not that loud) the A/V unit shuts down during any hint of real action in the movie. I know it is not the unit because I just returned a JVC 20VBK that was doing the same thing. I have verified that it is not the DVD player as I used two different players with the same result. While I wouldn't classify the system as "quiet" at that volume, but for the amount of money I spent on this theater I am definitely not getting a "theater experience" as I am only able to watch movies at an average volume level. I have set all of my speaker tones to the recommended 75dB (C weighting) with my SPL meter and I am still only getting marginal volume. My speaker wires are not touching each other and I have my speaker levels at reasonable levels (+5.0dB). This is killing me! Any ideas?

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Maybe your power socket can't deliver enough power (current) to your amp when its running on full load. Try putting your amp onto a different plug, different side of the room to the one your tv ect... is on, that may possibly help.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Agree that it sounds like a power issue. If this is the case though you need to urgently get an electrician in to have a look at the wireing in your house as a socket should easily be able to drive your receiver etc. I have all my equipment (see signature below) powered from 1 double socket, except for my surround speakers that is. And yes it is all safe as I've had an electrician check it all for me!

Mark.

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    At -20 on reasonably efficient speakers hardly any power/current will be drawn. I'd guess there is something wrong with one of the speakers. Try connecting them/disconnecting them in turn and see if the problem goes away when one in particular isn't connected.