Never buy a MESH computer!!!

Geege

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I brought a high spec desktop PC with Windows XP in Jan 2006 from Mesh Computers plc based in London. It cost me £2000 and since mid-2006 it has been the biggest headache ever. The computer kept crashing, I've lost count on how many times I've had to re-install Windows, I've lost my data once so now have a back up. Their customer service is appalling and their technical support department is useless. I've complained to them in June 2007 and after 6 weeks of trying, they finally replaced components. (Motherboard was faulty and hard-disks were corrupted). I've only had it back a month and it is crashing again!!! I've had to re-install Windows yet again! What a complete nightmare. I have kept a full log of times I have telephoned them, who I have spoken to and what has happened. I will write a letter of complaint to their customer service department shortly and also complaint to BBC's Watchdog. I've also lodged a complaint with Trading Standards.

ok, rant over...

That sux big time
I always though mesh were ok
they win alot of awards in PC Pro

Shame they have treated you so bad, hope you get sorted good and proper

Yeah that is what I thought. but apparantly they have been complained about alot. There was a program about them on BBC's Watchdog earlier this year. I am usually a placid and tollerant person with a sound knowledge of computers. I just feel once they have taken your money, they don't care and try to fob you off. From June 2006-mid-July it took god knows how many phone calls, two home visits from technicans and a lengthy 2 week wait for my computer back from their repair dept. when it was sent off. It is just not acceptable. All that I want is a computer that I can rely on. I'm currently re-installing Windows for the 100th time but not working. I feel that the harddisk is faulty yet again. I'm typing this using my Sony PS3 internet explorer

the place i work at now is literally round the corner from Mesh's main showroom/HQ building....

tbh they were the upmarket version of Tiny, somewhere between Tiny and Dell basically...lol......Tiny died for being obscenely pathetic and naughty, Mesh however managed to produce a number of good machines which earned them a reasonable name, but like most cut price producers a percentage of their machines screw up and generally its not enough to damage their reputation because the folks using them dont know how to complain about it on a forum like this because all they bought it for was to email their sister in new zealand.....

always makes me wonder tho when people buy a PC advertised as 'state of the art' and 'the ultimate in movie and gaming experience' for £450 and expect that to be true when Dell and a few other companies show PC's costing £2,000 stating the same thing.......doesnt it even ring a bell in their tiny little heads? :/

obviously in the OP's case, buying a £2k PC thats constantly screwed up its a different matter, personally i'd have given them the option of a legal battle or a new PC in compensation........if you dont play tough then they will take advantage of you......but, you gets what you go with, hence if i want a solid reliable machine and im spending bucks, i'll go with Dell......yes a number of complaints are lodged against Dell, but almost all of those are for their cheapest machines......spot the obvious glaring point in that last sentence.....when you buy there good quality PC's its rare to see a complaint.....i've had 4 and all have served brilliant, one even managed to make sure its HDD survived a lightening strike, now thats tuff ;)

Agree Mesh worst company ever.
4 yrs ago for me.

Eventually went to HQ and dumped it in reception and started telling cutomers me about my experience who thanked me and walked out.

I soon got my compensation.

PS I took a couple of friends along too who could not believe how bad they were. They agreed with me after talking to them for 30 mins.

I built my next PCs.

the place i work at now is literally round the corner from Mesh's main showroom/HQ building....

tbh they were the upmarket version of Tiny, somewhere between Tiny and Dell basically...lol......Tiny died for being obscenely pathetic and naughty, Mesh however managed to produce a number of good machines which earned them a reasonable name, but like most cut price producers a percentage of their machines screw up and generally its not enough to damage their reputation because the folks using them dont know how to complain about it on a forum like this because all they bought it for was to email their sister in new zealand.....

always makes me wonder tho when people buy a PC advertised as 'state of the art' and 'the ultimate in movie and gaming experience' for £450 and expect that to be true when Dell and a few other companies show PC's costing £2,000 stating the same thing.......doesnt it even ring a bell in their tiny little heads? :/

obviously in the OP's case, buying a £2k PC thats constantly screwed up its a different matter, personally i'd have given them the option of a legal battle or a new PC in compensation........if you dont play tough then they will take advantage of you......but, you gets what you go with, hence if i want a solid reliable machine and im spending bucks, i'll go with Dell......yes a number of complaints are lodged against Dell, but almost all of those are for their cheapest machines......spot the obvious glaring point in that last sentence.....when you buy there good quality PC's its rare to see a complaint.....i've had 4 and all have served brilliant, one even managed to make sure its HDD survived a lightening strike, now thats tuff ;)

Depends which one you buy - I had 200 odd dell's in 2002 & had around @ 80% failures on HDD's + other parts, it got to a stage where Dell sent HDD's to us in advance(anticipation) of failures.

My Mesh is 4 years old. Never had any trouble apart from a faulty DVD drive. Must be lucky i guess.

i have had my mesh for 2 years and no probs so far.

after a friend came round he ordered one too.
after about 6 months 1 of his hard drives packed in so he phoned them and they said they would get the machine picked up by courier , repaired and then returned.as he didnt really want to be without his machine he asked if he could just take the hdd out and get that picked up,tested and a replacement one returned to him if it was found faulty.they agreed and in the end they sent him a bigger size of hdd as they didnt do that size any more.
i think there is alot of luck involved with customer service dept's though.......

I brought a high spec desktop PC with Windows XP in Jan 2006 from Mesh Computers plc based in London. It cost me £2000 and since mid-2006 it has been the biggest headache ever. The computer kept crashing, I've lost count on how many times I've had to re-install Windows, I've lost my data once so now have a back up. Their customer service is appalling and their technical support department is useless. I've complained to them in June 2007 and after 6 weeks of trying, they finally replaced components. (Motherboard was faulty and hard-disks were corrupted). I've only had it back a month and it is crashing again!!! I've had to re-install Windows yet again! What a complete nightmare. I have kept a full log of times I have telephoned them, who I have spoken to and what has happened. I will write a letter of complaint to their customer service department shortly and also complaint to BBC's Watchdog. I've also lodged a complaint with Trading Standards.

ok, rant over...

I would also recommend contacting PC Pro and explaining the situation to them. They will probably try to get it sorted out with Mesh and/or put them in their "Watchdog" section. Bad publicity is the best revenge.

We're Forest fans how can you call us lucky :smashin:

LOL:rotfl::rotfl:

Had my Mesh for 5 or so years. Couple of failures in that time. Motherboard and a faulty CDRW Drive. Both sorted jsut before the warranty (3 years) ran out.

My biggest compliant with them was getting through to customer/tech services. Used to take ages. Probably 100 people in sales and 5 in tech support:rolleyes:.

I might be due a new pc in 2008, definately a laptop anyway so I may consider Mesh. They did win a lot of awards at the time in various mags. Coupled that with their decent prices and that's why I (novice) chose them.

Could be worse, you could have bought it from Evesham. :rolleyes:

Had one of those at work (3 years) after having years of trouble with Dell.

No complaints so far:smashin:

We're Forest fans how can you call us lucky :smashin:

The lucks got to change today against Leeds :rolleyes:

The trouble is alot of customer services are just robots reading from a problem solving sheet. Its only when you get to talk to a real tech head or engineer your problem seems to be solved.

:mad:Thanks for everyones replies. The more publicity about this
the better.

The PC I ordered from Mesh cost me £2000 and consisted of Windows XP MC 2005, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ processor, 400GB HDD, 550W PSU, ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherbaord, 1x Geforce 7800GT graphics card, 1x DVD-ROM, 1xDVD-RW drive, 19 inch Viewsonic monitor, X-Fi extreme sound and 7.1 speakers.

I did contact Trading Standards to see where I stand. Basically I was told that I cannot now (after 18 months) claim for a refund, the computer is fit for purpose as it was designed it has just developed a fault. They as the seller have the responsibility to repair (and if unable, to replace the components) the computer. I must allow them a "reasonable" opportunity to remedy the fault, which is about 3 times according to the Trading Standards advisor.

So this will be the third time I will have a technican come out to repair components.

The first time, MESH sent the repairer (contracted out by Repairline) a HDD that was faulty itself! :rolleyes: So that was a wasted trip. The second time he came with a working HDD, but diagnosed a faulty motherboard. He couldn't do anything with the computer as he didn't have any other components. Some weeks go past and finally after making a verbal complaint to Customer Sales, they arranged for a courier to collect the PC to have it repaired. I was assured it would take 5 days but it took 2&1/2 weeks before I got it back. I was not happy :mad:

So, I don't expect any refund, I just want a computer that I can rely upon and that doesn't crash. It is still under warranty (2 years on-site repairs and 1 year back to base).

I'm just fed up with it all. I will start looking around for a new tower, perhaps a cheaper set around £600-800. I will also ensure I send the complaint to Watchdog, Trading Stanards and a few PC magazines.

I have a time pc its a few years old and its still running will all the same parts. OS rebuild twice and it runs like the clappers every day. It seems your suffering HD issues.

Have you said to mesh I will buy a replacement drive bill you for it.

My next computer will be built by me, but like the last few I built myself they are no longer around its only the time pc that has lasted. :eek:

This is the letter of complaint I have sent 1st class recorded. What do you think? :thumbsup:

"27th August 2007

The Manager
Customers Services department
Mesh Computers
Head Office
Mesh House
Unit 1 Oxgate Centre
Oxgate Lane
LONDON
NW2 7JA

Dear Sir / Madam,

Customer Order Number : *******

I have a contract with you under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

On 26th January 2006 I purchased a Mesh Matrix Eclipse (03) Desktop computer from Mesh Computers for £1,982.20 in addition to a 3 year Advantage warranty. Since this purchase the computer has developed faults. Mesh Computers have sold me goods which are not of satisfactory quality.

I have contacted Mesh Technical Support on numerous occasions to try to remedy the faults. This has taken many hours of my time having to chase up my complaint. I followed their advice, including re-installing the Windows XP operating system. Due to the recurring fault I have had to re-install the operating system more than twenty times. This has been time consuming, inconvenient and costly because I have had to re-install all my programs and data on each occasion.

I also complained in June 2007 about the recurring problems I was having. The tower has also been inspected by Repair Line technicians on two separate on-site visits and has been returned to Mesh Repairs department for a back-to-base repair. During this time I had been without a computer for 2 months. The faults that were identified were:

1.Fails to boot
2.Faulty hard disc drive
3.Faulty motherboard

This is evidenced by service activity reports, receipts and a log that I have recorded. Since receiving the tower back from repairs department the computer still has the same fault. My most recent attempts to resolve this are documented on the enclosed log.

I have been reasonable in allowing Mesh Computers the opportunity to repair the faults.

I require you to attempt to repair the faulty goods and to confirm in writing that shall this repair fail, you will replace the goods and offer a reasonable amount of compensation.
Please respond to my complaint within seven days,

Yours faithfully,

Paul Gilmour"

I bought two identical PC's from Mesh in Jan 2005, in part based on their previous good reputation in the reader awards in PC Pro.

In (I think) August last year the PC dedicated to use by my fiancee refused to boot with a "System failed CPU" test message. When I eventually got through to their tech support they had to arrange a collection by their courier (which itself turned into something of a farce as they never turned up and I had to drive round to their depot to drop the unit off).

While my fiancee's PC was with them, the second PC which I use refused to boot with the exact same problem. After another performance getting through to their tech support I spoke to a chap and explained that I couldn't afford to be without any PC whatsoever at that point in time. He said that as they'd diagnosed a faulty motherboard with the first PC and it sounded like the same problem again with mine, if I went down to their factory the next Friday with the 2nd PC, I could pick up the 1st which was now fixed and he'd bump my PC up the queue and sort it out while i waited.

Great, I thought, a member of staff doing his bit for customer service. So I booked a day of flexi-leave for the next Friday and drove all the way down to London. Got to Mesh and asked for the chap I'd spoken to, only to be told (after an hours wait) that he wasn't working that Friday and there was no record of him saying he'd sort the 2nd PC out while I was there. :mad:

So I took the 1st PC home and left the 2nd to be fixed and eventually it was returned to me.

Things went well until the Sunday just gone (26th) when I went to wake my PC from standby and it gave me the same "System failed CPU test" message. Thankfully I managed to get it to start after powering down and starting up again but it doesn't inspire confidence...

The only good thing I can say about Mesh is that I like the system cases.

Think next time I need a new system I'll just build my own since things seem a lot better when doing that than the last time I built my own daily use PC (if my experience of building my Windows Home Server system is anything to go by).

You have had a very similar problem to me in that, the same error message / fault has appeared even after parts have been repaired or replaced. The thing I don't understand is how I can get error messages when I have followed the advice and done god knows how many fresh re-installations on the Windows XP OS. That I believed should have solved the problem, however with the message still appearing (or Windows XP installation still corupted somehow), I start to wonder that it is a hardware fault, yet again. Either with the motherbard or any faulty image HDD.

Not only this, there is a serious lack of communication within the technical support and repairs department (also evdience by your post) and a very poor standard of customer care.

Even if the faults are corrected now, I just don't trust the Mesh Computer to function reliably, so will consider buying a new tower from another company or build my old.

That's not true at all, Mesh's reputation is appalling on the Internet if you can be bothered to find out that is. Catalogue of woe tales all over the place. Try here (to the OP)

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2552941.php

if you head to hexus,they have a mesh forum (with mesh employees on hand) and i guess if you kick up a fuss there,they will help you ut a bit more.

or Windows XP installation still corupted somehow

Faulty memory!
If they haven't realised they will be taking the faulty memory out of the old mobo and putting it in the new mobo.

i have a mesh, and had good response from this forum, for any q's.

http://forums.hexus.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109

Davey (email quoted earlier on post) will normally reply to all posts eventually he seems to run a one man support show. Maybe start a post there to see if it will move things along if not already done?

Same here all. My advice would be to steer well clear of Mesh becasue if your new PC does go wrong they are the most inefficient company I've ever had the miss pleasure to deal with.

If you are up the swanny with them, do give Dave an e-mail as he is the only one I managed to find willing to help who actually delivered on what he promised.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom