1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neutrik cable pinouts

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Airmatix, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Airmatix

Airmatix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just gone out to buy a Neutrik connector for my REL Quake. The sub is about 2.5 meters from my amp (Yamaha V640RDS), so they chap at the shop sold me a cable and a Neutrik connector.

I now have to connect the connector to the three-core cable (REL cable) he sold me. I wasn't worried about it at all until he warned me to 'find out from REL which pins are "hot" and which ones aren't'.

To me it seems simple enough: Connect the positive from the left channel to one of the positive pins on the connector. Connect the positive from the right channel to the other positive pin, and connect the negative from either left or right to one of the negative pins on the connector.

Am I missing something? Is there more to this than meets the eye? Can I cause major damage if I get it wrong?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Extract of email from REL when I asked a similar question last year :-

Pins are numbered 1,2 and 3. Pins 1 and 2 are the signal pins,
    these can be connected together and to the inner core of a screened cable, pin 3 connects to the outer screen of the cable. The other end of the cable will have a phono plug fitted.

3. Airmatix

Airmatix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yikes! Doesn't sound like it fits what I have.

I have a 3m stretch of three-core REL cable, with nothing on either end. For the one end I have a Neutrik connector, which is what I'm going to try to fit. I was going to strip the wires on the other end, and insert them in the relevant speaker terminals on my amp.

Either we're talking about completely different set-ups, or I'm about to cause havoc.

Thanks for the reply though!

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I had an early Storm which only had XLR connectors and I needed to have made up an XLR cable with a phono on the other end to go into the sub out socket of the amplifier.

5. Airmatix

Airmatix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool - now I understand. Had me worried there for a second!

Thanks for the help.