Neuneo HVD208 picture quality comparison in 576p / 720p / 1080i

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by laplace, Mar 12, 2005.

1. laplace

laplace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://users.skynet.be/fa545712/three_res.bmp

Here is an uncompressed 24-bit 1000*1512 pixels bitmap (4430Kb). View it with no resizing (100% actual size, 1 pixel on bmp = 1 pixel on your PC screen) and use vertical slider if needed, otherwise your picture viewing software will decrease perceaved resolution.

Pictures are taken from a PAL dvd (576p native), dvd player Neuneo HVD208, component output to Sony KLV-L32M1 1366*768 lcd with Wega engine. Only a portion of the screen is captured.

On the top is 576p, in the middle 720p and below is 1080i. Now what picture offers the best detail ?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    By definition 576p .. the others are simply creating pixels out of thin air, they're not revealing more detail. :)

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The top picture shows only a single field, or a poorly de-interlaced image, presumably to blame on the DVD player when freezing the picture from the DVD. This is revealed by the aliasing and the pixel to pixel ratio. Given overscan, each input line should stretch across only 1.5 pixels or less on the display when all the lines from the frame are retained.

The upscaled versions look to work from that single field, and of course must be scaled again by the display. 1080i looks like it has a lot of coring applied and 720p like merely smeared with a bit of edge enhancement. I'd expect a "raw" or better de-interlaced 576p picture to be the winner.

4. laplace

laplace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any people watching dvds with me prefer the 1080i output, all thinking it's way finer than 576p from this same player or from Sony DVP-NS955. Needless to say we don't have our noses on the screen full time - but on this picture for example, at 2.5 meters from the 32inch LCD, in 576p we can easily observe staircase effect on the eyebrow, and not only in pause mode.

5. laplace

laplace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That's more intersting, since it appears the player has applied both bobbing and weaving in de-interlacing the image. There is some false sharpness visible in the 576p screenshot as a result of the aliasing, making it look gritty. When scaled to 1080i it seems this is taken care of fairly well so while it's softer, it appears more natural to me.

A good question is how the display handles 1080i signals, if it de-interlaces them before downscaling or does it per field, and also how much overscan it applies. The processing applied by the display may sweeten the results a bit, especially because of DRC.

7. laplace

laplace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes 1080i gives a more natural picture. The Sony LCD has no big overscan (tested it with DVE); sweetening it does a little if sharpness parameter in the center, but in 1080i raising it to the max doesn't create artefacts as on other sources.

I switched back to 576p from Sony DVP-NS955V (300-400 euros range) yesterday and the difference is incredible, everyone immediately notices staircase effects (at 2.5m viewing distance on 32inch screen) and a somewhat grey picture compared to the Neuneo (all parameters reinitialized). Only advantage is a more movie-like fluidity, not the slightest motion blur, smoothness of whole-screen movements is exceptional on the Sony and quite poor on the Neuneo (almost ok in 576p and really questionable in 720p and higher). Neuneo is working on a firmware update about this.