1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking with XP-Home

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by sapper, Aug 24, 2004.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I am attempting to network two PC's using a router (Netgear WGR614 v4).

Currently the Broadband Modem is connected to the router and then the two Pc's communicate to the internet quite happily.

However I am unable to create a network between the twoPc's when I run the network wizard.

Since then I have tried to network the two machines together using a cross-over cable but no success.

Up on further reading, it seems that the only way I can get XP (just home edition??) to network is to have one PC with two network cards and to use a ICS. The ICS connects directly to the internet via one network port and the other goes to the router.

Is this absolutly necessary, or can I network both PC's to share drives, printer etc with out needing additional network cards through the router

If I can, how?!?!?!?!

Any advice would be most welcome.

Adrian
    Panasonic DVD-RAM Burner
    Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-500M
    BLueyonder !MB Broadband
    XP Home Edition

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If you can't network the 2 PCs using a cross over cable then something is definately amiss. XP home or pro should make no difference, the only networking difference is IIS and the inability to connect to a domain in XP home.

If i remember correctly, you should just tell the wizard that you link to the internet through a central gateway, or if that option doesn't come up, i seem to remember choosing no internet connection. Then it should set the PC up on the workgroup MSHOME. Run the wizard on both PCs and you really should be up and running from there....

And even though you've told the wizard there is no internet connection, i find it always gets onto the net fine through my router.

3. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Have you disabled the firewall, or created access rules?

4. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I think I have solved the problem.

I dont really know how I did it, but I re-ran network wizard after reading your post/reply; and selected a slightly different option. The other thing was I left the default name of the workgroup to msworkgroup or what ever it is.

It may seem sad but I named by PC's after a couple of nice ales, and I wanted to call the work group after the brewery!! so Im not sure whether it was the network name or the new wizard. Anyway Ican now access and see the drives on the other machines. Now it is a case of learning how to set up the various sharing of files mapping of drives?? etc.

Thanks for your help, and the other thread may assist in the next stages ie file sharing, printer sharing etc, but I could not be bothered @ midnight!

Adrian