Networking -wireless/wired

If it's any help DDD i got my 4 port modem/router from E-buyer , works fine and cost about £40. It's a E-buyer own brand name made by Origo. The access point i ordered from same source and also made by Origo should be here in a couple days and will report findings on it then if you like?

Panic

thanks i luked on there its just i read with some ebuyer products that the software isn't up to date. tell me how you get on. thanks

If it's any help I use a Netgear DG814 ADSL Modem Router. It works fine and will support up to 1.5Mpbs ADSL but not the latest 2mbps version of ADSL.

THe Netgear is fine and its easy to upgrade the firmware as it is managed from a browser interface. However every time I have upgraded past V4.4 software it has given me problems.

I have heard the SMC gateway is fast and very secure.

I have a seperate Wireless access point, because it was free from work and I wanted to site it in a different location to the ADSL router for better signal strength downstairs.

Rog

ok thanks

if i buy just a router access point can i buy an adsl modem which plugs into the router?

DDD you can there are a couple out there. But I reckon the all in One Router/Modem/Wireless Access point is the easiest option unless you can cable the Wireless access point to a good place for transmission.

Nearly all the ADSL Routers in PC World do NOT include the ADSL Modem. THese are good for Cable systems where you are presented with an Ethernet port from NTL or Telewest. But no use for ADSL at all.

So I would look at Netgear or SMC (chepaer ones maybe OK but I have not looked). Check out http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

for reviews. dabs.com are always good for price.

If you need to place the Wireless access point in a different place from the ADSL Router/Modem then you can buy the bits seperately and link via a CAT 5 cable.

However it is possible to use a good old Telephone extension cable from your ADSL enabled BT socket to any point where you want to locate the ADSLRouter/Modem/Wireless. However ADSL products dont use the usual BT phone plug and socket but the US style RJ11 connector.

Rog

Yep thanks i have been on adslguide before looking at service providers! just lookin at products now. I would definatly prefer the g version supporting 54Mbits per second.

YepI do really want 54g and aren't ready to buy yet but i have had another thought.

At present i have a tempory wire connecting my 56K dial up modem to phone socket downstairs.

I intended to buy a wireless broadband router and modem all in one thing and have a telephone extension installed upstairs but prices aren't cheap looking around so it would me much easier for me to leave the broadband router/access point/modem downstairs next to the phone line and becuase its wireless its got no problem communicating with the PC upstairs.

However i mentioned before, i need to connect my wireless network to a wired one so the PC downstairs (or soon to be) will be connected wireless with a PCI card to the broadband router so thats sorted.

I could also do the same for the pc upstairs however i need to connect it to a wired network every now and again. So if i connect my rj45 port to my hub (like it is now) can i buy anything which plugs into the hub to communicate with the router downstairs and then plug my friends laptops into the hub to enable them to connect to all the computers and broadband connection?

Kind of confusing but any help appreicated. All i seem to find is PCI and USB wireless gear but i can't expect my friends to buy wireless pcmcia cards just because i'm going wireless and they are still wired.

Thanks

I'm really struggling myself trying to set up a wireless network. I already had a Netgear 602 ADSL modem/router and (mistakenly) thought I could simply add a Netgear WGT624 wireless router. But they seem to conflict with each other.

The wireless device recognises my main (wired) PC, and sends out a good strong signal, but I cannot get internet access when I connect the modem in with it.

I think coz both devices are routers there is a conflict. But I don't understand how to configure them to act together. Netgear support have ben as useful as a chocolate fireguard....grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hi guys
Got my Origo Wireless access point to go with my Origo modem/router yesterday. Plugs in fine to spare port , lan light and wireless light both come on ok but cannot get signal on pc with the wireless card. The pc in question still picks up this wireless signal one of my neighbours is broadcasting so i reckon his card is fine it must be my access point on my pc that's not transmitting a strong enough signal possibly? One story up through 2 or 3 walls.
I am being totally thick in asking if a wireless keyboard/mouse combo would interfere with the signal in anyway?
I must say i've not invested a lot of time in trouble-shooting yet , i just kinda hoped it might work from the box :)

Panic

I have a linksys network running :

Linksys W54g router
54g pcmcia card
and the linksys 54g ganming adaptor.

So I have a music PC and my laptop ethernetted to the router, my new gaming PC wireless B to the router and the xbox/slimmp3 player wireless g to the router.

All works like a charm.. and I do notice the difference between 54g and 11b when copying large files around the network.

One thing I did notice was that when I hosted my MP3's on my laptop which was wirelessly sent via the router to the MP3 player.. it had very bad stuttering when playing.. though I never found where the problem was as I swapped to a hardwired PC for my music needs.

Matt

Yer thanks. Been looking at a netgear access point router modem etc.....54G (120 quid) (ouch) but i am slightly worried at the range of signal available. I mean it has to go upstairs and through a few walls and i really would prefer 54g and hope to get around 45 at least?

So do they interfear with cordless phones? I have a friend who uses macs and they call it airport i think (wireless lan) and he doesn't suffer from interferance.

Matt,

I recently bought a Linksys broadband router but I'm having no end of trouble getting it to work. The setup cd seems to take you through the router config easily enough but what happens then? I've bought a 54g PCI card for the second PC but at the moment I'm trying to get it working as a wired connection. I'm assuming you still need to set up XP for a home network and I've gone through that process on both machines several times but I cannot access either machine from the other. Either there are instructions missing or Linksys are making some huge assumptions on the part of the buyer for setting up this stuff. Any ideas? I'm on NTL by the way.

Sorted. Looks like the XP network firewall has the indispensable feature of blocking network access whilst enabled, from the user!!!. Someone should tell MS that there's a difference between keen and gormless. Oh yeah, deleted the network bridge as well, the XP equivalent of an appendix.

I have a vaguely related query if anyone can answer - I have a Netgear DG824M ADSL Modem/Wireless Gateway which used to be hooked up to an ADSL line. I have now moved house and am on ntl 600k, and was following the instructions on Netgears website to use the DG824M as a wireless access point, as opposed to an ADSL gateway. However, after changing the Netgear IP as instructed, I can no longer access its login screen through IE by typing in the DG842M's new (or previous for that matter) IP address, as it just comes up with a "Page not found" error like its looking on the internet.

Can anyone suggest how can I get to login to my DG824M now? I'm at my wits end after overloading on all the networking mumbo-jumbo info on the net.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by jchm
I'm really struggling myself trying to set up a wireless network. I already had a Netgear 602 ADSL modem/router and (mistakenly) thought I could simply add a Netgear WGT624 wireless router. But they seem to conflict with each other.

The wireless device recognises my main (wired) PC, and sends out a good strong signal, but I cannot get internet access when I connect the modem in with it.

I think coz both devices are routers there is a conflict. But I don't understand how to configure them to act together. Netgear support have ben as useful as a chocolate fireguard....grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hey i had the same problem as you, although i was using the ebuyer cheap ass access point. Solotuion is too set the access point with either a fixed I.P address or set it up at a dhcp client assuming that your adsl modem/router is running dhcp . I guess the best way is to set it up with a fixed I.P address then is you ever need to access the web configuation page you know what I.P address to use.

Hope this is of help to you :hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom