Networking Question

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Rambles, May 26, 2005.

1. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    I know this isn't the 100% correct way of doing things, but in theory will it work......?

SETUP:
    A host PC with a USB ADSL modem and Internet Connection Sharing enabled, connected by ethernet cable to a 108mbps wireless router, a second pc (media center) also connected to the router via ethernet cable.

Upstairs an xbox media center extender connected to a 108mbps wireless bridge by ethernet cable.

OUTCOME:
    Both PC's downstairs have access to the internet, providing the host PC is switched on. The xbox has access to media files on both pc's downstairs, and if I switch one off, it will still be able to access the other.

Does this sound ok?

The products I am looking at are both D-Link, as I don't want to mix brands, will it be a nightmare to configure, both pc's running XP and SP2.

Thanks for help

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no network wizard but that sounds pretty straight forward to me.
    Also, don't you have a lack of hard drive space on your media PC? If you have room in your main PC you could pack it with GBs and your media PC could just access all your films etc from across the network.
    I don't think you would have Internet Connection Sharing Enabled. I thought that was for dial-up only. The router will handle that side of things for you.
    The only thing I'd say would be to buy an ethernet modem that could plug straight into the router. That way you wouldn't need to have the PC on all the time to use the internet, and if you had it (the pc) out of action (for modding, repairs etc) you can still use internet.

3. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    Thanks for the response,

I currently have the two pc's connected downstairs via a single crossover cable, I am trying to work out the best way to add an xbox upstairs wirelessly to the network, at the 108mbps speed for media streaming.

D-Link don't yet do a combined router/modem/wifi at this speed, so was wondering if I could save myself the price of the modem for a while by sticking to ICS. But not sure if this works through a router in the same way as does with just a direct cable connection.

4. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Look at the Dlink DSL-300T modem and the Belkin PreN wireless router/AP this is better than the Dlink SuperG stuff you're looking at.
    I was unable to stream video/tv with the Dlink but the Belkin stuff is really good
    Novatech are doing it @ £61 :eek: which is £40 less than I paid for mine,well worth a look
    Rob

5. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    Aah, interesting, thanks Rob,
    Do you stream high bit rate media ok with this, such as DVD's, live tv etc.?
    Do you think it will work ok with the Dlink Xbox wireless bridge, it seems that there is only one fast xbox wireless adapter on the market - that Dlink one.
    Also, I can't find the bargain price on novatech, it seems to be listed at £92?

thanks

6. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yep I've been messing with streaming DVD's and TV via a server upstairs to a laptop without any probs,tho both work at the PreN standard
    So I cant comment on the speed and compatibility of the Xbox kit,it would probably revert to 54g.
    The order code is F5D8000UK and is advertised @ £61.02 which is a bit of a bargain and no it doesn't seem to be on the web site but is in their June catalogue.
    Rob

7. iain.sl

iain.sl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in your setup the host pc is the default gateway (to the internet) as this has the adsl modem. The router is redundant as a router and is behaving purely as a switch. The purpose of a router is to forward packets from one network onto another - in this case from your private IP range to the Internet

Ideally you need the router to be the default gateway and the PCs and xbox as nodes to the router. This means the router holds the Internet connection and server/routes data from the PCs and xbox to the Internet. This provide more security as the router will become a hardware (NAT) firewall. Your orginal sugestion leaves the host PC open to Internet threats (software firewalls as per XP sp2 or Norton Security are not as potent as hardware firewalls). You don't have to worry about using the same manufactures equipment as the protocols or networking, both wired and wireless, are industry standard - a D-link wireless bridge will work with a netgear wireless ADSL modem/router.

8. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget ICS and use a router/wifi box to allow independent net access, it will also reduce traffic of your network and allow more streaming bandwidth.