Networking Problem

MickEP

Hi, I wonder if anyone could give me any help on teh following problem

I have 2 Pc`s on my network
1 upstairs (maincomputer) &
1 downstairs
I am trying to network them both to share files. On my upstairs PC I can access shared folders on my downstairs PC
But when I am on my PC downstairs and try to access any shared folders on my upstairs PC, I get the Folllowing Error

\\maincomputer is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found"

When I go into My Network Places - Microsoft Windows Network - MSHome the maincomputer is displayed but if if click on it I get the above message
Any Help would be appriciated
Thanks
Mick

P.S. I am Running XP SP2 on both Machines

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
On both PCs, run Explorer, go to tools, Folder Options, View, scroll to the bottom of the list and turn simple file sharing off.

Share a folder by right clicking, choose Sharing, and set the permissions as Everyone, Full Control.

Next, look at your network properties, and run the network setup wizard on both PCs and accept the default values.

Assuming you don't have problems with an encrypted wireless network, that should work!

I'm on Vista now so I don't have an XP PC to check all that, but hopefully my memory is reliable.

Synchro

Distinguished Member
If your firewall (assuming you have one) has a home network wizard, try running that also.

MickEP

Sorted Thanx
Turns out it was something really stupid (A Bit Like Me):D

My Local Area Connection was called Local Area Connection 5 on the downstairs PC
and was just called Local Area Connection on the upstairs PC

So I just renamed the downstairs PC To Local Area Connection

And Its all sorted :thumbsup:
Thanx Again for your help

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
My Local Area Connection was called Local Area Connection 5 on the downstairs PC
and was just called Local Area Connection on the upstairs PC

So I just renamed the downstairs PC To Local Area Connection
Actually that would have made no difference! Anyway, glad it's working. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom