Networking not Picking up TV

Smoofie

Standard Member
Hello,

I have a Linksys Wrt320n Router connected to a cable modem. Both my computer and the TV are connected to the router(wired). I have an internet connection on the TV(Panasonic V20) and it also detects the router. But my PC isn't detecting the bloody TV, while they are connected to the same router. I'm using Windows 7 x64 ultimate, and I have a standard homegroup network with only my PC in it. I have "streaming" on and "network detection" as well. I can ping the TV with my PC, but when going to the "network" tab i can only see my PC, the router I use and one Media device, which is my own pc. Can anyone help me? I really want to use DLNA. Oh and my tv isn't picking up any media server when using the Vierra Media server option.

Last edited:

port27374

Standard Member
Hi Smoofie,

have you tried temporarily disabling all firewalls to see if it makes any difference?... I have experienced some difficulties with W7 and comms over LAN's with the firewall. Do this only as a "test measure", not as a perm fix, if it works, then you know it is simply an issue of tweaking the firewall to the right level of security.... let us know your results.

Smoofie

Standard Member
I've already tried that, it's not working. I seriously have no idea what it could be, as I said, they're connected to the same router, so same Subnetmask and DHCP enabled so they both have internet at the same time.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Are you sure you should be able to "see" your TV from other devices on your LAN...? You can only "see" things on a LAN that are "advertising" themselves in some way.

It would be prudent to check the TV's manual to see whether it advertises itself at all. Most PC's, Macs, NAS's, printers, etc. advertise themselves "out of the box," but there's no requirement for them to do so.

It's quite acceptable for IP hosts to not advertise themselves and just act as "clients." If you can ping it, the IP mechanisms look like they are working.

Smoofie

Standard Member
Well, the manual only says that the DLNA is compatible and tested with Windows 7 and a NAS. They're saying nothing about a setting so that the "tv" will advertise himself.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
It might be useful if we knew the exact make/model of the TV, but I'd tend to suspect TV will be a DLNA "client" device rather than a "server" and hence may not be "browsable" on your LAN. I'd expect to use the TV to connect to the media server (PC) rather than the other way around. TV "pulls" media from the server rather than server "pushing" media to the TV as it were, though I confess I know little about the details of DLNA.

If you can ping TV, then it demonstrates that it's LAN and network transport are working and your issues are with "higher" level protocol functions, possible DLNA itself.

I don't know Win7 very well, but is there anything you need to do with WMP on your server PC to tell it to advertise itself as a DLNA server...?

Last edited:

Smoofie

Standard Member
Windows Media player and/or Windows media center should auto detect media devices and then the "play to" button should be available, but Windows isn't picking up a Media device where I can stream to. And the TV is a Panasonic TXP50V20. It should be seeable in the /network and sharing center/Media streaming options. Oh and I did turn the media streaming options on @ WMP.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom