Networking my Xboxes help please???

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Broxi1979, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    OK, So this networking thing just continues to bamboozle the life out of me. I am drowning in a sea of routers and ethernets and switches and modems and who knows what else.

So, here's the deal.
    I have one desktop PC, one Xbox original & one Xbox 360 & 2no X360 10mtr network cables.

At the moment I have a speedtouch USB ADSL modem connected to my PC, then I have the network cable connecting my X360 to my PC. Therefore I can get access to Xbox Live but only if I have my PC switched on at the same time.

Also, I still like to use me old modded Xbox for XBMC but this means everytime I want to use that and stream avi's or whatever from my PC, I need to disconnect the cable for the x360 and connect the other cable for my xbox (only one network port you see) which is an inconvenience.

What I want to do is buy a device that will provide internet access to both my PC & X360 independently (i.e. I don't need the PC on while playing on Live) and have the whole thing networked up for sharing files with my Xbox & Xbox360 all the time. :eek:

This has probably been the longest way possible to ask a stupid question but if someone could tell me what the thing I need to buy is called or even better, link me to what I need on ebuyer, I would be helluva grateful!!!

2. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    If you are looking to network your pc, 360 and original xbox then I would go for an wireless adsl modem & router, these often have ethernet ports in the back and your components can either connect wirelessly or via the ethernet cables, I use a netgar router and after initial setting up you can ditch your speed touch modem. As an alternative to the 360 wifi adaptor, you could try ebay for a Netgear WGE111 gaming adaptor that provides a wifi link to the router yet the 360 is connected via ethernet to the adaptor.

I personally have a similar setup to yours, I ran 2 cat5E cables to all rooms when the house was built. The difference in setups is that I use the Original Xbox with the MS MCE Extender rather than XBMC, the following components are connected to my netgear 54g ADSL router at various times with no problems (8Mb t'internet connection):

MCE PC (wired)
    Xbox (wired)
    Xbox 360 (wired)
    Negear MP101 (wireless)
    Laptop (wireless)
    PDA (wireless)
    wifi mobile phone (wireless)
    XP Desktop pc (wired)

The only visible lag I have seen are when both my wife and daughter are surfing the t'internet whilst I'm on Xbox Live.

I know the places like Argoos sell wireless routers (with a wireless dongle) for £40-100.

You can get a Network Assisted storage unit from Ebay for under £100, these usually have slots for HDD and often can contain over 1Tb of storage; the NAS can be configured then plugged in say a spare bedroom or under the stairs with little or no supervision. Also a printer can be networked quite easily also.

3. UnGreat

UnGreat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think you mean a Router.

It connects to the internet then devices (PC, Xbox, Ect) connect to it via ethernet and wireless (if it has wireless). Routers also allow devices to connect to each other (network). I don't know that much about routers (I use a BT Home Hub) so someone else will have to give recommendations.

I've heard Netgear routers are good.

4. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Netgear equpiment have an easy to use wizard that makes configuring a piece of cake.

5. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yeah, this is what I thought too, so I went to ebay, keyed in router in the search and bought a cheap "router", when, I got it, found it only had a port for the modem cable and port to connect your PC via an ethernet cable. So it did basically the same job my usb modem does except it uses up my network port instead, therefore I wouldn't even be able to connect my xbox anymore ... Doh!!!

Hence, the thread posted here tonight :)

6. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks, I want to avoid wireless if possible tho, I dont mind running cables if it provides a more stable connection.

7. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
  8. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    So would this be the fella I need?
    http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/52754

Provides nternet access to my x360 whether my pc is on or not and hooks up all my devices for file sharing over a network?

9. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
  10. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Ahh so that can be used fully wired or wireless, brilliant ... righto! That seems to be the winner then. I'll see if I can pick one up on ebay for a bit cheaper.

Thank you very much. :smashin: :smashin: