• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Networking / IP Configurations..... Techy Help/Advice

Disco_dave1

Standard Member
please bear with me on this......

Been asked to help to take a look at a friends IT problem..

Basically, he runs a pub and has recently had Casio Hospitality Software installed on his Laptop, so that he can update the tills (two), via a mini network.(Linksys)

Currently this is where he is at, but is stuck...

Till 1 IP config of XXX.XXX.0.1 (this is able to dish out IP address iirc)
Till 2 IP config of XXX.XXX.0.50
Laptop/USB Adpt IP config of NOTHING!

this is where I get confused. the Laptop can see the USB Adaptor and is showing in Network Connections and Device Manager as Installed.

However, I can't seem to get any further. I need to be able to give the USB Adpt, as Static IP of XXX.XXX.0.99, but theres where we are falling down?

Any ideas chaps!
Dave

Kristian

On XP:

Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, right click the network connection i.e. the USB adaptor, click properties, double click on TCP/IP and enter the IP address x.x.x.99, subnet mask - probably 255.255.255.0 and default gateway if necessary. If everything is local then Gateway isn't needed.

Some other questions though. Is this network wireless or wired? Laptops usually have a wired ethernet port rather than having to use a USB adaptor. Why not set the laptop to use DHCP and have Till 1 to issue an address - are you sure this is running DHCP?

Kris.

Disco_dave1

Standard Member
Sorry, mate, should have said
its bloody Vista! :(

On XP:
Some other questions though. Is this network wireless or wired? Laptops usually have a wired ethernet port rather than having to use a USB adaptor. Why not set the laptop to use DHCP and have Till 1 to issue an address - are you sure this is running DHCP?
Kris.

He wants to use it from upstairs to do accounts (obviously the router/tills are in the bar!), hence using a WIRED connection is a No No! I think thats what he wants to do, ie: give laptop a XXX.XXX.X.99 IP address, but dont know how to go about it. As far as I know DHCP is running (just what i was told) - how do I find this out.

Last edited:

Kristian

So does he have a wireless access point? Is the Linksys device a switch, a wireless access point or something else?

No idea with Vista, sorry. I'd expect it'll be something similar, have you tried google?

First you need to make sure you have a wireless link established.

Disco_dave1

Standard Member
I can find the linksys router (and surf the net) wirelessly, that no problem as the PC has a wireless card inside (obviously as its a new laptop).

its a matter of getting the additional USB Adpator to speak to the Linksys Router, and creating that bloody static ip addy :thumbsup:

Disco_dave1

Standard Member
the company that installed the tills, said he needed a separate USB Adpt to create a static IP, as the laptop is using another (netgear) wireless network

netgear wireless router is only for surfing for him/customers (he has free Wifi)
Linksys is only being used for tills etc.

dont ask me why he's using 2 different wireless networks. im just the messenger :smashin:

Kristian

Right, I see. With the extra information it has all become clear. The two networks will in different subnets e.g. the tills are on 10.0.0.x 255.255.255.0 (Linksys) and the other one is 192.168.0.x 255.255.255.0 (Netgear).

What you are trying to do is connect the laptop to two different subnets, hence the need for the second adaptor. He could always just use the one, in built, adaptor and just connect which ever wireless network he needs to each time.

Otherwise you could use both adaptors and get the laptop to work out which network connection to use depending on where he wants to get too.

After all that, sorry, but I can't help any more :D

Kris.

Disco_dave1

Standard Member
not sure what the neatgear is on, but I've been told Linksys is on:

Till 1: 192.168.0.X and
Till 2: 192.168.0.50

I need to get the USB Adp to find 192.168.0.99 :thumbsup:

mickevh

Distinguished Member
What IP address and subnet mask does the laptop built in adapter have?

If it's in the same range as the tills, that could be your problem. It easiest if both networks to use distinct IP subnets - one range for the till network, a different range for the public wifi network. (That's "range" as dictated by IP address/subnet mask, not DHCP lease pools.)

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Depending on which Linksys router you have, it may have wireless network security built in.

If so you will need to add the mac address of the USB adapter to the Linksys Access Control List (ACL) so that it can be recognized by the router and allow usage of the said IP address.

The usb adapter utility software usually contains this info but if not or too hard to locate then try the following:

Start - control panel - Network connections - Right click the wireless adapter and select Status. Then select Support tab then Details. The mac address will be displayed as Physical Address

Note: This is for XP. I don't have vista but it should work in the same or similar way

Once you have obtained the mac address, then you have to log into the router, find the Wireless security option and somewhere in there should be the ACL list ( Access Control List). Then add the adapter mac address to the list. You may need to reboot the laptop in order for it to work.

Hope this works for you

Disco_dave1

Standard Member
Don Dadda

thats sounds about right as someone else mentioned MAC address to be as well.... its just I cant find the screen I need as its bloody Vista

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Don Dadda

thats sounds about right as someone else mentioned MAC address to be as well.... its just I cant find the screen I need as its bloody Vista

What are you seeing?

Yeah, Vista is a royal pain in the ****, that's why i'm sticking with XP for as long as possible and wait for Windows 7.

Back to you:

on the laptop in the search or run (not sure what it is on vista) window enter cmd . Type in ipconfig/all. Info of adapters will be displayed including the mac address for each adapter -Physical Address xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.. note down the required address.

see this..Using command line tools for networking information - Windows Vista Help

Sorry if you already know this but Before any wireless configuration can be made, a laptop or pc needs to be physically connected in order to setup the wireless configuration in the 1st place. :lesson:
Take the laptop to the Linksys router and connect it with an ethernet cable.
Open the browser and type in http://192.168.1.1. this should open the linksys router Utilities page. You will need to enter username - admin or administrator, the password should be admin also or left blank. Providing they haven't change the admin password it should log in. If they have (which is recommended) and no ones knows what it is then you are screwed unless the router can be reset to manufacturer settings. There normally is a little button at the back to do this. Once logged in the linksys page may display an array of info but you are looking for a Security tab of some sort. select that and look for wireless security and Access Control List. In there is where you enter the mac address.

I'm trying to get hold of my mate who has a laptop with vista and wireless adapter, hopefully i will get back to u before you read this. if not bump me.

Last edited by a moderator:

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Have we established for definite that both wireless networks are using different IP subnets? Otherwise you're going to run into challenges with routing, default routes and the like which are going to confuse the laptop.
IMO it would be prudent to establish the IP address and subnet mask of each network before worrying about router ACL's.

Last edited:

Disco_dave1

Standard Member
Have we established for definite that both wireless networks are using different IP subnets? Otherwise you're going to run into challenges with routing, default routes and the like which are going to confuse the laptop.
IMO it would be prudent to establish the IP address and subnet mask of each network before worrying about router ACL's.

i aint sure? How do i check that.

Router 1 (Netgear) is your everyday router and is just used for surfing the net.
Router 2: (Linksys) is for the till system only?

As Router 1 works fine, would it be advisable to switch this off, whilst sorting out problem for Router 2.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Leave both routers turned on.

The easiest way would be to attach your laptop to each wifi network (one at a time) using it's built in wifi adapter (which we know works,) let it gain an IP address using DHCP then run an "IPCONFIG /ALL" as described in previous posts. Probably a good idea to disable the USB adapter whilst conducting this test.

The two numbers I'm particularly interested in are the "IP Address" and "SubNet Mask" that IPCONFIG reports. If it also provides a "Default Gateway" and "DHCP Server" addresses, they would also be useful, but it's the former that will be most helpful in establishing you're not having a routing drama.

Don't worry about disclosing them in full: The addresses will almost surtainly be from the range of "private" IP addresses assigned by the Internet authorities for "internal" use - you're not giving away anything that tells hackers anything particularly interesting about your networks.

Last edited:

Disco_dave1

Standard Member
cheers guys, finally got it sorted. everything was set up apart from the link from the router to the tills (a LAN cable wasn't attached)

stuck it in, altered the IP to xxx.xxx.x.99 and it worked!!

all help appreciated. :clap::thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom