Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Networking help

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by General Panic, Jan 14, 2004.

1. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi guys
    Sorry if this a bit off topic or should be posted somewhere else.
    I have just now my PC hooked up to a Broadband 4 port router with my X-box pluged in for "Live" and a network cable linking up my brothers PC in the room next door for internet sharing.
    All works fine but now my other bro downstairs is wanting his pc on the network for internet use.
    My question is , without running another cable can a wireless solution for his pc be used?
    Do i need to replace my modem/router with a wireless one or can something else be done?

Any newtworking gurus any advice. :confused:

Cheers :smashin:

General Panic

2. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Has your PC got XP running?
    If so, just add a wirelss to your and your bothers, then enable internet sharing through your network properties.

Jobs a good'n'.

3. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I use a Linksys wireless router HERE and have one of THESE in my pc.
    All seem to work great and also have my laptop wireless. Of course these are 'B' solutions and not 'G' which are faster for sharing files between pc's. But 'B' speed should be plenty fast enough for internet surfing.
    Netgear and D-Link also do wireless

4. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks guys. I have XP on my pc and 98 on the others.
    So i leave my pc connected to my router and just a wireless card in my pc and the new pc downstairs? That would mean am i right that the pc downstairs could only access the internet if my pc was switched on? It couldn't make use of the router to connect anytime?
    I was trying to avoid having to replace my router if possible but as my pc is in my bedroom it's not practical to have it switched on all the time.

Panic

5. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,814
    You don't need to replace your router. If you buy a WAP (Wireless Access Point) and plug this in to the router and a wireless PCI card for your bro's machine this will work fine and your machine won't need to be on.

6. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That's what i hoped to hear. Cheers Desmo.
    Out of interest , i also have a old lap top gathering dust. Would another card , a PCMCIA wireless card also add onto the network via the Access Point? or is there a limit on how many machines can be added?
    Thanks for the advice guys , networkings not one of my things but i like the sound of the results if i set it up right :D

Panic

7. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There may be a limit but I doubt you would ever reach it on a home network, it's likely to be in the hundreds although others will have to correct me. I have a 4 port router with 4 PC's hardwired into it and I also have a Wireless access point on one of the ports and that is used to connect my and my wife's laptop with PCMCIA cards.

It's really fairly simple although if you live in a poulated area (I don't) you may want to add some basic endryption to any wireless link (fairly simple to do) or your neighbours could easily hook into it and nick your bandwidth.

Linksys gear is pretty good for the money and I think D-link is OK to. My setup is more mission critical so I use expensive stuff but the home user stuff should work just fine.

Also, most cards should work with most AP's, should be standard. I would stick with 802.11b unless you want to share large files.

8. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,814
    A WAP will support up to 255 devices so plenty of room for expansion :)
    If you go the PCI card route make sure you get one that has the aerial on a cable rather than attached directly to the card. This allows you to position it in the best possible place for reception rather than it being stuck near the floor up against a wall.

9. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks everyone. Questions answered. :)

Panic