1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking Help Please!?!

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Donnacha, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,594
    Hi,

I've just bought myself a 54mps Belkin wireless ADSL/Router and a corresponding wireless PCI card for one of the PCs. I want to set-up a network at home as well as share Broadband once I get it.

The router is connected via ethernet to a PC running Windows 98SE. The other PC is connected with the wirless card and is running XP Home.

Now..the two appear to talk to each. The wireless card upstairs tells me that it recognises the wireless network and that signal strength and speed is excellent. The router downstairs also recognises the PC upstairs. The problem is I can't seem to share files. The Windows 98 PC can see the MSHOME network that I created on the XP machine, but won't let me access it, and I have set up certain folders on both machines for sharing but can't see them on either machine!!

Any suggestions, advice etc. would be great. I Appreciate you stopping by and taking the time to read this.

Cheers :smashin:

Donnacha

2. northernmunki

northernmunki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

A few things to try.

Can they ping each other?

Ensure microsoft file and print sharing is enabled in the networking control panel.
    Try a UNC file path to access the other machine. From Start/Run type;

\\a.b.c.d\sharename

Where a.b.c.d is the ip address of the other machine and 'sharename' is the name you typed when you opted to share the folder. "c" is the default. This will force the pc directly to the other machine.

Disable the XP or other firewall and see what happens. Ensure the local network (probably 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0) is a trusted network.

Ive had lots of problems with XP and 98 files sharing. Try browsing th other way too. Seeing files on the 98 machine from the XP machine will be easier.

Also try creating a user account on the XP machine and creating the same username and password on the 98 machine.

3. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,594
    thanks northernmunki, will try those out when I get home tonight.

I did Ping each and it seemed to work. Can I Ping the PC I'm on at the time, or only the other PC? Reason I ask is that from the XP PC with the wireless card I can Ping the Win 98 PC, but not itself!?

Thanks

4. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    yes you should be able to ping both from both !

also work checking IP addresses and subnet masks are ok.

5. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I may be barking up the wrong tree as i haven't used XP Home, only XP Pro, but I think that your issue may be around permissioning.

Have you tried set up a networking username and password on Win98 with the same account on XP?

6. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,594
    Quickie - would be a lot easier if I just upgraded 98 to XP?

7. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you have firewall software installed on any of the two pc's? I had just this issue last night...spent around two hours trying to share files between my pc's and finally found that the firewall installed on one of the pc's (since I use it to connect to the office) had a firewall installed....if so you need to check the ip address of the pc and make sure that the firewall will allow incoming connections from that ip address

8. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Definitely. Doesn't take long and networking is much improved.

9. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,594
    Thanks to all so far for their input.

I got excited last night when I finally got to see the XP PC in my Network Neighbourhood on the Win98 PC!! But I couldn't access it! It would tell me that I was unable to open/browse the PC. Then it just disappeared and never came back!!! Weird.

I'll have a look at the firewall issue tonight, and may just upgrade the 98 to XP - having one PC down in the study/office and my HTPC up in the loft, its wearing me out running up and down between the two!!

10. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had exactly the same...as I said before, it was the firewall giving the problems.

11. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,594
    I think I've disabled all firewalls in XP and on the router, but still no joy. Is there anything else I'm missing? Should I uninstall all antivirus software also or just disable it? I'm flummuxed!!

12. Prism666

Prism666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Shezzy2k probably has it spot on here. If you can see the shares then its unlikely to be a firewall issue

When connecting between two PC's in a workgroup then if you just want to browse the network then the username and password have to be exactly the same. As windows 98 doesn't force you to have a username or even log on you may have to set this up

Alternatively you can use the option to map a network drive and click the check box to connect as another user and then fill in the username and password from the other machine

13. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Make sure that you have created the same user account and password on both machines. The password is very important as XP will not be able to authenticate the connection to your share without it. Hope this helps!

14. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,594
    Thanks lads - will give that a blast to see how it goes!