1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking computers with MCE2005

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by hjkrebs, Feb 27, 2005.

1. hjkrebs

hjkrebs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Defining way to obtain multiroom solution with highest picture and sound quality.

Please let me know if and how this is possible:

1. Main computer is high spec (MCE2005) with ATI x800pro using DVI to drive 50" plasma and Soundblaster Audigy 2 to do DTS, Dolby Didital and Prologic IIx decoding to feed 7.1 speakers. I have this working in XP.

2. Second computer is low spec with videocard using DVI to drive 32" LCD or plasma and soundcard to feed 5.1 speakers. What software is needed in this second computer to be able to use the main computer as source for live TV, DVD, music and play this in my bedroom in super quality?
    MCE2005 here too?
    I am not interested in the extender solution due to its apparent lower picture quality.

I hope to achieve a pure digital solution from source to screens in several rooms.

How is this possible?

2. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look at Meedio, it might fit the bill. We have used this as a front end to data held on an MCE machine successfully. It also has a theme that looks very like MCE so you almost get a lookalikey. It can also use MP10 as the player so any data that will play on MP10 will play on Meedio. This won't work for liveTV and not aware of anything other than extenders that will.

Don't know if this takes you forward?

3. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All your requirements are easily met via some sort of frontend and mapping a network drive, but the thing you will have problems with is the "live tv" as I believe only the mce extenders allow this.

If "live tv" is not that important, you can have something up and running within 30 minutes.

4. hjkrebs

hjkrebs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much for your comments.
    It is actually the live TV I was after. I was hoping that the general computer CAT 5 or 6 network today would be able take care of all my video distribution. So I could forget about coax or other specific video cabling.
    Is the reason lack of bandwidth?

5. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, the reason is lack of ms interoperability

it sounds simple....just read the live tv buffered file and stream it to another pc...

in practice, windows xp/mce makes this almost impossible.

the live tv bandwidth varies from 4mbps to 8mbps....cat5 can handle this easily. But you will be hard pressed to find anything which will let windows xp send the stream to another machine.