Networking advice

Ukhammy2015

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi my first post on here
I am looking for sone advice on wiring
my main telecoms point is not close to my tv or pc

1 can I run cat cable under laminate flooring I see you can get flat cat cable
2 what cat cable should I use 6 7 or 8 ?
3 again can 8 run speaker cable under laminate flooring for my 5.1 system
we are about to lay the floor so now would be a good time to do this is possible

My rear speaker cables are under my laminate floor. Make sure you don't squash them. I had to cut channels in the underlay.

Hi UKhammy21

You can run it under laminate but I wouldn't advise it as walking over will damage the cable over time and could potentially also raise and damage the laminate. If you could channel them someway into the floor or underlay that would be best.

Cat6 is fine for all home use now going above that wont yield any real benefit for home users

Same for speaker cable they are thinner try to protect them best you can

Flat cable fine in the floor but as others have said cut a channel in the underlay and try to avoid putting something heavy like a sofa leg on it.

And Cat6 will be fine for home use.

I normally avoid running any cables under laminate. If you are going to be laying laminate, the chances are you will be taking off the skirting / base boards? You will normally find enough space behind them to run 2 or 3 cables.

I normally avoid running any cables under laminate. If you are going to be laying laminate, the chances are you will be taking off the skirting / base boards? You will normally find enough space behind them to run 2 or 3 cables.
Oddly, I was just thinking that we did that this weekend but the skirting took out chunks of plaster as the previous owner had decided to glue it one. What a mess and my friends mrs was not impressed, whoops.

Oddly, I was just thinking that we did that this weekend but the skirting took out chunks of plaster as the previous owner had decided to glue it one. What a mess and my friends mrs was not impressed, whoops.
Use a stripping knife and hammer. Hammer the stripping knife between the skirting and wall, all the way along. It normally breaks the glue and stops you ripping out chunks of plaster. Been there a few times routing cables. Do it enough times and you learn what works

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom